There are 167 users in the forums

Clements Forfeits $500K Workout Bonus

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
what an idiot

Cornerback Nate Clements has found a workout regimen in Arizona that he believes suits him well. But his decision to conduct his offseason trainings away from the 49ers' Santa Clara practice facility comes at a price.

Clements will not collect his $500,000 workout bonus this year. Under the contract he signed with the 49ers in 2007, Clements can earn $500,000 annually by taking part in the 49ers' offseason program, according to NFL Players Association documents.

Read more: Clements Forfeits $500K Workout Bonus
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Pretty sure he knows about the bonus. I think he's trying to make a statement about being unhappy or disrespected which is not a good sign.
Eh, whatever. Maybe he has a doctor with some undetectable juice out there.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Pretty sure he knows about the bonus. I think he's trying to make a statement about being unhappy or disrespected which is not a good sign.

You could be right but I also think he just likes to workout on his own which is doing so in Arizona and supposedly working out as hard as ever. Plus while 500k is a nice chunk of change, Clements has made several millions of dollars over his career and I don't think it will hurt his wallet.
maybe this is his way of sayin "i know i didnt play good enough to get this" like doin us a favor?...

That seems rather obvious.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

You could be right but I also think he just likes to workout on his own which is doing so in Arizona and supposedly working out as hard as ever. Plus while 500k is a nice chunk of change, Clements has made several millions of dollars over his career and I don't think it will hurt his wallet.

This is actually what i think
Isn't he working out with Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona? Kind of odd he would be working out with the top rival's best player who also happens to be a WR but the good news is, I have heard Fitzgerald's off-season workouts rival those of Jerry Rice's legendary off-season workouts.

True but I'm sure he feels real slighted that he got benched, and I'm sure he's heard all the fans calling for him to move to safety. I think that's a big part of it as well as he just like to workout in Arizona. Plus 500,000 would be about 150,000 after taxes.

Not sure if he works out with Fitz or not. Nothing weird about it atll. It's a job for these guys they work out with whoever they are cool with regardless of team. And a few years ago Rice was in Ari working out with Fitz and I think a few other wr's.
Originally posted by lamontb:

True but I'm sure he feels real slighted that he got benched, and I'm sure he's heard all the fans calling for him to move to safety. I think that's a big part of it as well as he just like to workout in Arizona. Plus 500,000 would be about 150,000 after taxes.

Not sure if he works out with Fitz or not. Nothing weird about it atll. It's a job for these guys they work out with whoever they are cool with regardless of team. And a few years ago Rice was in Ari working out with Fitz and I think a few other wr's.

Well I hope he does play with a chip on his shoulder this year and shows he is still a very good CORNERBACK in this league. Plus he is not only playing to show his critics or haters than he can play, but chances are he won't be with the 49ers next season so he is showcasing himself for the rest of the league and playing for a job next year.

I don't think him showing up is a form of disrespect. I think he wants to come out this year and prove his worth.
It saves the Niners money, right?

I ain't trippin.

i could care less! he's a great tackler (before his shoulder injury. we can't say he'll be the same tackler). but can't cover and always gets burnt! i'd be happy if he's pissed off and feels disrespected throws a tantrum and wants a new home to play in! he made two great plays last year against the raiders during a PRACTICE (not a GAME... we're talking PRACTICE allen iverson voice!) and when he returned a blocked kick for a touchdown... (not from his natural position)! dre bly who played nickel most of the time had more plays then he did!
This is why:

"One prominent NFL agent said it is not uncommon for players to forfeit large workout bonuses to train on their own.

'I've had players who think they can get in better shape and improve their play by working out on their own, and that will lead to bigger contracts down the road,' the agent said."
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
$500k is a lot of money unless your Bill Gates.

To me is just shows me that he is not a very smart dude. But from the Niner prospective its probably a good thing.
Share 49ersWebzone