There are 153 users in the forums

Brandon Jones/Wragge

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wragge aint goin anywhere, he's too versatile and too valuable to be let go. He may never start but he's an important player when he comes off the bench, either at guard or center.
I do want Wragge to stay. It will come down to whether we keep 9 or 10 OL.
1. Staley, 2. Iupati, 3. Heitmann, 4. Rachal, 5. Snyder
6. Sims, 7. Baas, 8. Wragge, 9. Davis, 10. Boone
This is the OL personnel that I would like to see on the final 53. The odd man out for me would be Snyder, if Davis can outplay him. I would hate to loose Boone (if he shows he can play this pre-season) by keeping Snyder.
Boone seems like he has turned himself around. Now he just needs to show something on the field. It would be nice to have him back up at both tackles next year when Sims is gone.
I bet that, given the UFA situation of Baas and Sims next year, Boone and Wallace might come up with "season ending" high ankle sprains
If Baas want to keep a job, he better remember how to play center. Iupati will beat out Baas. Maybe not in camp although it will be close, but Iupati will be starting by game 3. I expect Wallace and Snyder gone. Simms and Wragge stay and Davis will start at RT by game 4. Wragge is more versicle then Snyder for now. Boone will have to have a stellar showing to make the'53', but if he gets put on the practice squad some other team (C-chickens?) WILL snatch him up. I really want this kid to make it.

The O line is almost set, but we need another 'Newberry' type center. Heitman just doesn't fit anymore. He has given it his all, and I thank him, but age catches up to us all. We need a damn mean, nasty, rowdy center to go with the new line.

Fix it, Solari!!
  • cools
  • Veteran
Im sure Jones is a pretty good WR when healthy, but way overpaid and Niners dont really need him, If the Niners can unload that contract without too much of a hit, I think Jones is gone

I think J'Hill takes that backup flanker/slot position, and finds himself active on game days since he did so well as a ST gunner towards the end of last season

5th spot goes to Williams as a slot reciever and PR

Tough call on Wragge
Im sure the Niners would like to have experienced insurance if Heitmann were to get injured, But will prob only keep 9 OL's
Baas will probably determine Wragge's fate

Snyder has experience at 4 positions, so i think he's a lock
so that leaves 1 spot for Wragge, Wallace, Boone, Patrick or De la Puente

I think Boone has too much upside to try and sneak on the practice squad
and could be our long term swing tackle and can backup both spots

No Doubt Solari is gonna be in Sings ear askin to keep 10
[ Edited by cools on May 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Would the Niner's have to fork over the remainder of Jones' contract?

Because if there is a way to clear his guaranteed money and give it to the actual playmakers that still need to be paid, then we can enjoy a several years of success as opposed to one or two.
a la the Cardinals.

If not, then he stays, unless he is absolutely outplayed by Kyle Williams and the practice squad would just be a joke for him, not likely.

I still think that Wraage is among the 9 or 10 best O-linemen on the team. It depends on how versatile he actually is. But he and Bass are essentially on the same footing for a roster spot.

All in all, its a good thing when talented players can be released without trepidation.

Jones' contract has been a question I've been wrestling with for a while - IMO, he has very similar skill sets to Ginn (probably has better hands and route running, though), so what is his value considering our WR depth?

About Wragge - IMO, he's good depth. He's filled in fairly well whenever and wherever we needed him to play, so, depending on his contract, his depth alone may be worth the money.
Originally posted by 49erAddict:
This is the OL personnel that I would like to see on the final 53. The odd man out for me would be Snyder, if Davis can outplay him. I would hate to loose Boone (if he shows he can play this pre-season) by keeping Snyder.

Are you ranking them in order? If so, you need to move Davis. They don't put 1st round draft choices as # 9.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Are you ranking them in order? If so, you need to move Davis. They don't put 1st round draft choices as # 9.

1 through 10 (total number of players) generally by pos. not top to bottom. 1st row starters; 2nd row back-ups (for now).
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

1 through 10 (total number of players) generally by pos. not top to bottom. 1st row starters; 2nd row back-ups (for now).

You have to be kidding. No way Snyder starts. No way.

• GORO
  • Veteran

I have always like Snyder but he has shown that he is not strong enough or have the quick feet to be a tackle. As a Guard he may not be strong enough. I also would like to see Boone take his spot, but I believe that Snyder is going to make this team this year, Boone may go to practice squad once more.
I would prefer to cut Snyder and start Davis with Boone as back up; I just don't know if both/either will be ready by game 1. Hope so, won't bet on it.

I think that Jones and J. Hill have better hands than Ginn. With Williams and Van, does Ginn make the team? (Think ball security not money)
Share 49ersWebzone