There are 208 users in the forums

Brandon Jones/Wragge

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I read that Jones is working on punt returns. Also read that Jason Hill had a very good day 2. If Ginn proves to be a recieving option and Kyle Williams shows he is a good punt return option for us, then BRANDON JONES could be on the bubble.

Also heard Bass is taking snaps at center. I have always wondered why Wragge has never been given a fair shot at a starting job, will he be on the bubble as well?
I have a friend who is a friend of Wragge's. He says he is very conservative with his money and does not expect NFL checks for too long. Not that he is not trying. To me Wragge is one of those kinds of guys who barely makes the NFL and the difference being great effort making up for a lack of talent
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
I have a friend who is a friend of Wragge's. He says he is very conservative with his money and does not expect NFL checks for too long. Not that he is not trying. To me Wragge is one of those kinds of guys who barely makes the NFL and the difference being great effort making up for a lack of talent

Interesting. I remember over the years Wragge coming in and Gore would get good blocks from him. It seems to me that players drafted by Scott where given preference then some one like Wragge who just plays solid whenever he gets a shot.
Originally posted by GORO:

Interesting. I remember over the years Wragge coming in and Gore would get good blocks from him. It seems to me that players drafted by Scott where given preference then some one like Wragge who just plays solid whenever he gets a shot.

Wraage played like crap the last time he was in the lineup. he had a couple good games as a emergency starter a couple years back that made him a webzone celebrity. Reality is guy is avg backup OL at best, his true value was his versatility. Now with Iutapi it's really Wraage vs Baas barring injury that's Baas all the way, Wraage is as good as gone!
Would the Niner's have to fork over the remainder of Jones' contract?

Because if there is a way to clear his guaranteed money and give it to the actual playmakers that still need to be paid, then we can enjoy a several years of success as opposed to one or two.
a la the Cardinals.

If not, then he stays, unless he is absolutely outplayed by Kyle Williams and the practice squad would just be a joke for him, not likely.

I still think that Wraage is among the 9 or 10 best O-linemen on the team. It depends on how versatile he actually is. But he and Bass are essentially on the same footing for a roster spot.

All in all, its a good thing when talented players can be released without trepidation.

As opposed to Nolan who didn't seem to give anyone drafted past the 2nd round a shot. He gave Frank a shot because Frank SHOULD have gone in the 1st round and our Running game was shat. Look how long it took for Baas to get on the field.

~Ceadder
I think Jones is a goner.. paying almost 3.5 million for a #4 or 5 receiver just shouldn't happen.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
...I still think that Wraage is among the 9 or 10 best O-linemen on the team. It depends on how versatile he actually is. But he and Bass are essentially on the same footing for a roster spot...

I disagree. Baas was a starter last year and Wragge was a backup. They will keep the better player and the better player is Baas.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

Wraage played like crap the last time he was in the lineup. he had a couple good games as a emergency starter a couple years back that made him a webzone celebrity. Reality is guy is avg backup OL at best, his true value was his versatility. Now with Iutapi it's really Wraage vs Baas barring injury that's Baas all the way, Wraage is as good as gone!

I thought Bass and Rachal got pushed around alot as well last year, but they kept their jobs. Was it really poor play or predictable run play calling that caused these 3 interior linemen to have alot of poor showings?
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Because if there is a way to clear his guaranteed money and give it to the actual playmakers that still need to be paid, then we can enjoy a several years of success as opposed to one or two.
a la the Cardinals.

If not, then he stays, unless he is absolutely outplayed by Kyle Williams and the practice squad would just be a joke for him, not likely.

I still think that Wraage is among the 9 or 10 best O-linemen on the team. It depends on how versatile he actually is. But he and Bass are essentially on the same footing for a roster spot.

All in all, its a good thing when talented players can be released without trepidation.

I really believe that Jones is on the hot seat here, and Jason Hill is well on his way to moving up the depth chart.

Wragge is in serious trouble. So is Wallace for that matter..

With the drafting of Iupati, Bass would seem the obvious choice to backup at Center and both Gaurd positions. This assumes that Iupati beats out Baas for the starting role as expected.

One or the other and maybe both are goners.

As for Jones... right now he is no better than 4th or more likely 5th on the receiver depth chart.. It's not hard to see the target on his back. He is getting paid a lot and I could easily seee him getting released.. This would have to rate as Scotty's worst FA signing ever..

a la the Cardinals.

I really believe that Jones is on the hot seat here, and Jason Hill is well on his way to moving up the depth chart.

I agree completely, and early reports from OTAs indicate the same
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
I think Jones is a goner.. paying almost 3.5 million for a #4 or 5 receiver just shouldn't happen.

yeah he reallny needs to step it up

a la the Cardinals.

I agree completely, and early reports from OTAs indicate the same

Its possible, but Hill MUST stay healthy throughout the off season.
With Crabtree, Morgan, and Hill it comes down to Jones, Ginn, Williams, and Van.
Jones did very well in TC last year before getting hurt; now needs to show he still has it and some versatility as well especially for the price). Ginn had better get over the dropsies. Williams and Van could conceivably both make the team with their versatility
and speed.
I like Wragge, he has played well for the most part when on the field; Wragge or Baas will make it, I don't see both on the team. Wallace is gone too, I think.
Share 49ersWebzone