LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Clark Judge's View of Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Judge wrote a well-balanced article...I really couldn't dispute anything he said. He believes our guys will win the NFC West and he explains why in this article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13404794/surprise-candidates-niners-skins-titans-top-list?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content
Pretty much agree. I think I would put Carolina as a surprise team over the Browns
Championship!
Well, I think he makes some very good points. My take is that if the two new O-linemen crash the starting lineup and play good then that's a real plus. If I had to
choose one to excel right now it would be Davis, because as much as I think we need an upgrade at OG, Baas can play LG.

Clearly though, this teams record and consistency of play will reside on A. Smith performance. If he's not capable of sustaining positive play across the season, the 49ers will be looking for another QB for the future. IMO Carr, Davis nor the Rookie can be expected to take this team far if Smith falters.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by boast:

Fab Five Freddy told me everybody's fly!
Originally posted by boast:

super awesome
I pretty much agree with everything said in the article, but one comment stood out:

"Smith looks good some games and shaky in others. That shouldn't happen to someone as far along in his career as he is".

Yes, he has been around a while now, but as we all know every year this kid has been in, has technically a rookie one, with a new offense every year.

I think people are underestimating on what Smith will do this year.
One of the better articles from sports writers that I've read in a while. Like others, I can't dispute really anything said. The only thing I should point out is the article didn't mention that this is the first season where Smith will have the same OC for two yrs in a row. And no mention that Smith was injured for about a year and a half. Other than that, I pretty much agree with his analysis of the Niners upcoming season.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
I pretty much agree with everything said in the article, but one comment stood out:

"Smith looks good some games and shaky in others. That shouldn't happen to someone as far along in his career as he is".

Yes, he has been around a while now, but as we all know every year this kid has been in, has technically a rookie one, with a new offense every year.

I think people are underestimating on what Smith will do this year.

I think this does happen for many players in the NFL. Only certain players play at a CONSISTENT level - good ones and bad ones. Good ones play consistently well, bad players consistently play poorly.

The problem with Smith is that we don't yet know on what side of the "consistency fence" he will fall on. We should know by about week 8 of this year.

Good read despite all the typo's in that article. I do believe this is the 49er's year. Their time to shine. All the pieces are in place. Now it's time for Alex to prosper.
I agree with this general article too. The big questions marks are Smith's development and it's nice to see someone question Singletary as a coach (b/c believe me, he's his own biggest critic). I'd also add Jimmy Raye to that list of majot question marks and his ability or inability to bring out the best in Smith and all the talent on offense now. Even Manusky has some new toys this year and needs to take that next step to be a top 10 defense esp. with regards to maintaining a consistent pass rush, turnovers and getting off the damn field on 3rd downs while keeping teams from scoring. It's a general article but spot on...we COULD be THAT team. I think more then enough is in place to make a good run. Now, can we do it? We could just as easily fall flat on our faces too esp. with all the pressure of winning the NFC West this year and a tough opening schedule.
I have to agree with most everything he said in the article too. I am curious to see how both Smith and Singletary do this season ------ do they both show improvement.
Alex Smith will be the deciding factor of the season, he needs to be a leader.
only thing i disagree with in that article is when he called smith the first pick of 2006 draft
Share 49ersWebzone