LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

Sports Illustrated Power Rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Hasselback is the only QB in the division worth putting any faith into as of right now. I can see how folks would take Seattle b/c this a a qb league first and fore most. Your team will go as far as your qb takes you. If they can protect him he's easily the best qb in the division. Having the best qb masks a lot of problems. See 2nd game against Seattle for evidence. Even the 1st game vs Seattle was tough til Hasselback was broke in half by Willis. I don't understand them beign rated this highly league wide though. That's a King stretch

But he has a rookie protecting his blidside. I think Okung will be great, but against Justin Smith on day one? I'll place my bets on Smith.

I really don't understand why Seattle is getting so much respect. Yes Alex Gibbs will be coaching their OL and he's great at putting together a running game. However, in Denver he had some really talented runners. In Atlanta he had a really good runner. In Seattle he has Leon Washington.

So if we have doubts about Alex Smith why not doubts about Washington - a runner coming off a catastrophic injury.

And what about defense? They really don't have a pass-rush, so even if they have a great running game, opposing teams will also be able to maintain long drives. Seattle is getting too much respect IMHO - just way too much. They have more questions than the 49ers yet people seem to be ignoring theirs and emphasizing ours.

They are likely going to be fielding the worst DL in the league this year...not exaggerating here....it was bad last year, and this year it's bad, real bad...it's worse and maybe the worst. Last year they were pathetic in the secondary, they are starting the rook Thomas in the secondary this year, but they lost the vet Grant which means Thomas is going to be running his ass off back there while trying to figure the s**t out without any help up front.

The oline is still 1-2 positions needing to be upgraded. If CarlsonH needs to stay in and block again this year (he's a piss poor blocker), you can kiss that offense goodbye...unless...they somehow manage to produce a running game for the firs time in several years (for the first time since Tobeck and Hutch left....4 f**king years ago!).

Other than those minor details above (and a few others unmentioned, like depth, and some other vets possibly being washed up etc.) I'm going to go ahead and crown their asses.
King is a blowhard. Can't take this list seriously. Carolina at #8? Green Bay #1? Miami #6? Both Saints and Indy ranked behind Baltimore, SD, and GB? This list is soo ass backwards, it loses any touch of credibility
If you are not a homer, you have to look at the 49ers QB situation with some doubt. There isn't anyone on the 49ers QB roster with a good NFL track record.
  • kkweb
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wrote Peter to tell him I thought SF would be the team to beat, not Seattle...I know Carroll's bringing in a winning attitude and they've had a successful off-season, but I feel Singletary's closer to getting over the hump than the 'Hawks. I read a lot of his columns...and he's a very good sportswriter, but is undoubtedly an East Coast homer. If you look at his top 10 list, there's only one West Coast team...the Chargers. He has the Raiders winning only 5 games because in his eyes neither Gradkowski nor Campbell is good enough to win more. I disagree...their defense is good and they simply need some consistent QBing and they can fairly easily be at least an 8-8 team. I make that point only to illustrate what I mean about Peter favoring East Coast teams.

You make a great point. I don't think anyone besides local writers know much about the teams here on the West Coast. Peter King also visited the Seahawks this year during the draft which makes him biased IMO. I agree with him about his assessment on Alex Smith, however he fails to highlight that we had a very good defense last season that was good enough for a playoff run. With a better offensive output this year which I have a hard time figuring out how we could be worse, we should be better which is my hope. I also agree with you on the Raiders, yeah they were bad last year but their defense was very good and with the new additions they have on D they will be much improved. That said, I don't put much stock on what anyone says about our team until we start playing games. In fact, I like flying under the radar. So I hope idiots like Peter King keep writing articles such as these, it will be much sweeter when we win the division next season.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kkweb:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wrote Peter to tell him I thought SF would be the team to beat, not Seattle...I know Carroll's bringing in a winning attitude and they've had a successful off-season, but I feel Singletary's closer to getting over the hump than the 'Hawks. I read a lot of his columns...and he's a very good sportswriter, but is undoubtedly an East Coast homer. If you look at his top 10 list, there's only one West Coast team...the Chargers. He has the Raiders winning only 5 games because in his eyes neither Gradkowski nor Campbell is good enough to win more. I disagree...their defense is good and they simply need some consistent QBing and they can fairly easily be at least an 8-8 team. I make that point only to illustrate what I mean about Peter favoring East Coast teams.

You make a great point. I don't think anyone besides local writers know much about the teams here on the West Coast. Peter King also visited the Seahawks this year during the draft which makes him biased IMO. I agree with him about his assessment on Alex Smith, however he fails to highlight that we had a very good defense last season that was good enough for a playoff run. With a better offensive output this year which I have a hard time figuring out how we could be worse, we should be better which is my hope. I also agree with you on the Raiders, yeah they were bad last year but their defense was very good and with the new additions they have on D they will be much improved. That said, I don't put much stock on what anyone says about our team until we start playing games. In fact, I like flying under the radar. So I hope idiots like Peter King keep writing articles such as these, it will be much sweeter when we win the division next season.

King's also got a son who work's for the Seachickens org somewhere. He's not going to feed his son' local crowd moldy meat unless he has too. Seeing as how it's the off season, he definitely has no pressure to feed them anything other than prime rib.

Besides that, King is a known dip-s**t.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The national media is not a Alex lover.
  • ZRF80
Guys, not everyone is riding Alex's nutsack like you people are. Do yourself a favor and google "biggest busts". You'd be suprised to see Alex Smith STILL on most people's lists.

He's a nobody that has 1 (arguably 2) good games under his shoulder. Thats in 5 years, for those of you still counting.

Talk about denial.....
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Guys, not everyone is riding Alex's nutsack like you people are. Do yourself a favor and google "biggest busts". You'd be suprised to see Alex Smith STILL on most people's lists.

He's a nobody that has 1 (arguably 2) good games under his shoulder. Thats in 5 years, for those of you still counting.

Talk about denial.....

Two words:

Team sport.
While I agree King has an east-coast bias, at least he recognizes the folly of his own efforts:

"So before I go out this morning, let me embarrass myself by ranking the NFL one through 32. That's not being overly modest -- just realistic. I stink at this. In fact, my recommendation if you really want to find out what's going to happen in the NFL this year is to take a bye on this column.

Last year, I really distinguished myself. Picked the Bears to make the Super Bowl. Picked the Saints 24th in the league, which was a point of some contention all season, right up to the moment 30 minutes after the Saints won the Super Bowl and Sean Payton walked up to his podium to meet the press after the game, saw me, and said: "Not bad for number 24.''

I don't even understand why anybody would attempt to rank NFL teams at this point in the (pre-) season. Total BS.
I'm only going to say this once:

Peter King doesn't believe Jerry Rice is the best Wide Receiver of all-time

Don't read anything he writes, but if you do, take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

• saeniner
  • Info N/A
Ive always enjoyed MMQB from an entertainment standpoint, its a good read, but when it comes to assessing football this guy is a clown. I remember last season he went on and on and on and on about how the Bears were the sure pick for super bowl champions....
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
I'm only going to say this once:

Peter King doesn't believe Jerry Rice is the best Wide Receiver of all-time

Don't read anything he writes, but if you do, take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
f**k Peter King that fat muther f**ker.
He has Carolina at 8 and GB at 1. what a f**king moron. Matt Moore has started a few games. I`m sorry but anybody with any kind of football intellegence wouldnt put a team in the top 10 with a ? at QB. Then turn around and diss the niners for the same thing.

This is Peter Kings career in a nutshell....

[ Edited by Dominate on May 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
f**k Peter King that fat muther f**ker.

Share 49ersWebzone