LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

who would you franchise?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have four big name players who, if they have great sesons will demand big contracts.
A. Smith, V. Davis, M. Lawson, and D. Goldston. I know contracts are being rumord for some but if no contracts are reached, and you are on the fence about 1 guy you want to see more out of befor huge $$$ is thrown at him, WHO WOULD YOU FRANCHISE???
VD obviously.
For me, it would be goldston, if he is solid all year that would only be one full seson and a half of solid play out of him not enough for me i would want to see two full sesons of top notch out of him first
VD gets a contract extension
Goldson gets extension
A. Smith either leaves via FA or gets an extension (depends on performance)
Lawson leaves via FA
Originally posted by AC49er:
VD gets a contract extension
Goldson gets extension
A. Smith either leaves via FA or gets an extension (depends on performance)
Lawson leaves via FA

this

VD and Goldston will get it done b4 the season starts. Alex will wait until next OS if he gets an extension. Lawson wanting 40M is nuts, he's worth 25 maybe.
if smith has a big year it's got to be him, but if he doesn't its VD
Resign Smith.. He will still be underpaid as far as starting QBs go
Pay Davis the big bucks Hes a superstar
Franchise Franklin again
49ers cant overpay for Lawson or Goldston, there role players. Niners really tried to find a spot for Lawson, He cant rush so they use him in coverage. They developed Goldston, lots of teams wouldnt of stuck with him. Better get a hometown discount on both or let them go.
vd will be extended soon and goldson will be before the middle of the season....so it will be Franklin again b/c smith will take 5 mil/year after a pretty good year.......Elguapo has spoken so it is what it is
  • GORO
  • Veteran
VD will get extended. So it will between Alex and Goldson. If Alex plays better than 2009, the niners will probably franchise Goldson and work out a deal with Alex who will stay and not risk going to another team with a new coordinator.
If they all play well and havent signed, it would have to be in this order: Smith, VD, Goldson, Manny...

My guess is that "if" Smith does well, he will be an easy extension since they gave him a second chance. VD will hopefully work out his deal b4 the season. That would leave Manny and Goldson. I say, let manny walk, and franchise goldson. This is, ofcourse, assuming they all 4 are worth franchising...

Smith has show that he is flexible contractually. But if he breaks through big time this year he will make himself hard to replace

Davis is negotiating, and anyway is up at the top end of his position $. so could be franchised if necessary.

The other two? Why? Are either of them amongst the cream at their position? Either of them irreplaceable? So why even consider a franchise tag?
Quote:
who would you franchise?

Ray McDonalds
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Quote:
who would you franchise?

Ray McDonalds

I assume for the burgers!
Why franchise anybody? Get the F'N deals done.

Duke $40-45 mil $20 guaranteed over 4 years.
Goldson $25-30 mil 8 mil guaranteed over 3
Manny$35-40 mil with $15 guaranteed over 4 years

Alex is the only guy that is a ??? because he is in his final year and it's not certain one way or the other how this plays out. But if he's successful, then we gotta keep him. I would use the tag on him, but that's dependent on whether or not the new CBA has a tag allowance in it. From what I've been hearing, there is a good chance the players are going to get the tag yanked. Too many teams have barred good players from getting a reasonable deal done just by dropping the Franchis tag on them. If they get injured it could affect their livelihood. Yeah they get top 5 money but if I'm a player I would not be happy with that if it could mean I get a career ender and have no protection or guarantee in my favor.

In any case next year is an uncapped year. Get the big money contracts out of the way right now. Don't go insane but give the guys that deserve a lucrative contract their money and do it up front to protect yourself if and when the Cap is reinstated. The players have been their for this team. To a man they have. And now people are whining like it's THEIR money. It's not us paying for it. Oh we may see an increase in ticket prices, but we ain't paying it. I have faith that Parage will negotiate favorable contracts for everyone concerned.

Alex on the other hand is just gonna have to wait til he proves that he's the guy. I think that he will, but you never know. I just don't think that it's as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

~Ceadder
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Why franchise anybody? Get the F'N deals done.

Duke $40-45 mil $20 guaranteed over 4 years.
Goldson $25-30 mil 8 mil guaranteed over 3
Manny$35-40 mil with $15 guaranteed over 4 years

Alex is the only guy that is a ??? because he is in his final year and it's not certain one way or the other how this plays out. But if he's successful, then we gotta keep him. I would use the tag on him, but that's dependent on whether or not the new CBA has a tag allowance in it. From what I've been hearing, there is a good chance the players are going to get the tag yanked. Too many teams have barred good players from getting a reasonable deal done just by dropping the Franchis tag on them. If they get injured it could affect their livelihood. Yeah they get top 5 money but if I'm a player I would not be happy with that if it could mean I get a career ender and have no protection or guarantee in my favor.

In any case next year is an uncapped year. Get the big money contracts out of the way right now. Don't go insane but give the guys that deserve a lucrative contract their money and do it up front to protect yourself if and when the Cap is reinstated. The players have been their for this team. To a man they have. And now people are whining like it's THEIR money. It's not us paying for it. Oh we may see an increase in ticket prices, but we ain't paying it. I have faith that Parage will negotiate favorable contracts for everyone concerned.

Alex on the other hand is just gonna have to wait til he proves that he's the guy. I think that he will, but you never know. I just don't think that it's as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

~Ceadder

$35M-$40M for Lawson?
Share 49ersWebzone