LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Surprise Roster Cut???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 209niner:
David Carr
Moran Norris
Michael Lewis

As far as Manny, if he leaves it'll be via trade. if not, he finishes out his contract

Throw in Nate Clements, if hes not in top form, he's gone

WOW, interesting thought, but I wouldn't think Lewis would get cut. I wouldn't think Carr would either, because of his vet experience. Stranger things have happened though. All we can do is Wait and see.
  • TFSP
If Coffee doesn't look good in the preseason, I'd take M. Robinson over him. At least MRob has more value. Could they trade Coffee for a future pick?
Originally posted by LanceQ:
Originally posted by 209niner:
David Carr
Moran Norris
Michael Lewis

As far as Manny, if he leaves it'll be via trade. if not, he finishes out his contract

Throw in Nate Clements, if hes not in top form, he's gone

WOW, interesting thought, but I wouldn't think Lewis would get cut. I wouldn't think Carr would either, because of his vet experience. Stranger things have happened though. All we can do is Wait and see.

David Carr is, well, David Carr. he also has Nate Davis competing with him. Do we keep him if he ends up the third QB. what was his signing bonus?

As far as Lewis, getting older and salary getting higher. Reggie shows something, like he can stay healthy, Lewis may become expendable.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Mookster:
CB should be an interesting competition this year. Nate Clements lost his starting job before he got injured and if he doesn't win it back in camp he's a goner.

Starters for the o-line look like: Staley, Iupati, Heitman, Rachal, Davis which leaves Wragge, Snyder, Wallace, Simms, Baas, Boone Fighting for 3 spots. My guess it's Simms as the swing tackle, Snyder as the flex G/T and Wragge as the C/G. Boone to the practice squad and Wallace and Baas are odd men out.

The Niners are likely to keep 9 OL, not 8. The competition is still interesting for a couple of reasons:

• Last year Simms showed he could play BU LT, but the year before stunk at RT;
  • Last year Snyder showed he's incompetent as a BU RT;
  • The Niners have plenty of people who can play BU G, but BU C is iffy.

So here's how I think it shakes out:

• Whoever shows up best at RT in TC and PS -- regardless of versatility -- gets to stay. Having someone who can play that position at all is too important.
  • Whoever shows up best at BU C gets extra credit, assuming he's competent at BU G. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it will sure help.
  • No question Simms stays on, assuming the coaches don't see a severe dropoff playing LT in TC and PS.

In this scenario, I think it's going to be tough for Snyder, since memories will be fresh that he can't play the position where he'd be needed most (RT), so long as Simms is still around to back up LT. If Boone shines here, I don't see how the Niners keep Snyder unless all the backup interior linemen stink.

Similarly, it looks bad for Wallace, especially if Baas show up at center (if the Niners try him there), since whatever the prevailing mood in the Zone, he'll be the best backup guard at worst. So I think it'll come down to Wragge vs. Wallace, with Wragge having shown something in the past, and Wallace not much.

Not sure if I agree on them keeping 9 this year. Last year it was more a question of who could play - Rachal is suspect, Snyder first time as starting RT plus standard injury coverage. If they think Boone can play they may try to stash him on the PS for one more year and have him for 2011 as the back up swing OT.

I think it will come down to Baas, Wragge, Boone and Snyder for 2 spots. Sims makes it as LT at least. Wragge and Baas play both C/G so whichever loses the camp battle is out. Snyder can play G/RT but isn't all that good at RT and won't be kept just for G play. If Boone beats him out for RT (and shows promise for LT as well) the Snyder could be looking for a new home. If Boone makes it look for the Niners to add a G to the PS in case of injury.
Some of the responses on this thread are killing me. Give me a second to wipe the blood off the wall where I have repeatedly been banging my head....

OK, I think I am good.

1) Michael Robinson is not going anywhere. He is the special teams captain, and has versatility as running back and fullback. There is a greater chance that Chilo Rachal will be playing WR this season than Robinson being cut.

2) Unless Michael Lewis is not medically sound, there is almost a 0% chance he will be cut. He usually is the second leading tackler on the team, and is a reliable vet...even with the GOAT, Taylor Mays, waiting to cast his own bust for Canton.

3) Adam Snyder isn't going anywhere. There is not one other player on the team as versatile as Snyder, as he can play 4 OL positions. In a competition for a last roster spot, it would be 99.9% Snyder to 0.1% Boone (even though Boone is another GOAT candidate).

4) Cody Wallace is the player in trouble. The writing is on the wall when two other players have been taking snaps at center this week (Wragge and Baas).

5) B. Jones is also in trouble, unless he pulls off a stunning camp. No 4th or 5th WR in our scheme is going to make his salary.

6) McKillop isn't going anywhere. Special teams value and depth are keys to his staying on the team.

The rant is now concluded.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Some of the responses on this thread are killing me. Give me a second to wipe the blood off the wall where I have repeatedly been banging my head....

OK, I think I am good.

1) Michael Robinson is not going anywhere. He is the special teams captain, and has versatility as running back and fullback. There is a greater chance that Chilo Rachal will be playing WR this season than Robinson being cut.

2) Unless Michael Lewis is not medically sound, there is almost a 0% chance he will be cut. He usually is the second leading tackler on the team, and is a reliable vet...even with the GOAT, Taylor Mays, waiting to cast his own bust for Canton.

3) Adam Snyder isn't going anywhere. There is not one other player on the team as versatile as Snyder, as he can play 4 OL positions. In a competition for a last roster spot, it would be 99.9% Snyder to 0.1% Boone (even though Boone is another GOAT candidate).

4) Cody Wallace is the player in trouble. The writing is on the wall when two other players have been taking snaps at center this week (Wragge and Baas).

5) B. Jones is also in trouble, unless he pulls off a stunning camp. No 4th or 5th WR in our scheme is going to make his salary.

6) McKillop isn't going anywhere. Special teams value and depth are keys to his staying on the team.

That was a pretty reasonable rant. I totally agree. This Wallace pick just looks worse and worse as time passes. You got 2 other guys getting reps at C over you is a clear indication that your job isn't secure at all. Not to mention it's for a back up role.

OK, I think I am good.

I can agree with you. I'm not so sure if McKillop has that much of a guarntee if he shows nothing in PS. Especially if Wilhem and Bowman out play him.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
One player that may be cut that would surprise me (but not too much) is Moran Norris.

And then we re-sign Zak Keasey!

I have a feeling that we'll be in a bidding war with many teams for Keasey (assuming the Saints are foolish enough release him). He's the Patrick Willis of FBs!
  • TFSP
Who ever gets cut, I just don't want that player getting picked up by a team we face this season.

Even though Jimmy 'Ray-ray's offense isn't rocket science, I still don't want other teams getting the 'insider' on his system.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I could see Moran Norris getting cut.

Originally posted by miked1978:

OK, I think I am good.

I can agree with you. I'm not so sure if McKillop has that much of a guarntee if he shows nothing in PS. Especially if Wilhem and Bowman out play him.

Is Wilhelm still on the team? For some reason, I thought he was only signed up for one year. But if he's still around, McKillop could be a surprise cut.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by miked1978:

OK, I think I am good.

Is Wilhelm still on the team? For some reason, I thought he was only signed up for one year. But if he's still around, McKillop could be a surprise cut.

We re-signed him in March.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=578

OK, I think I am good.

That's why he would be a suprise cut...
  • TFSP
Originally posted by D_Niner:

OK, I think I am good.

That's why he would be a suprise cut...

But for real, state why Coffee is better than M.Rob?
I believe Ted Ginn might be cut as I think both Vann and Kyle Williams are better values in terms of performance and grabbing balls is a lot dependent on concentration and effort and if one has no mind to train, well bye bye. I think Williams has some skills as a quick slot reciever and probably better running skills. Ginn's only value is sheer speed alone. I love what I saw of Vann and wanna see more during preseason but I think we will keep more then one returner and Ginn just for speed is nonsense as I think Jason Hill, Morgan and Crabtree have enough speed to get deep. Who needs a reciever to run 60 yards and drop the ball? Besides which only Nate could get the ball there.
Share 49ersWebzone