LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Surprise Roster Cut???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mookster:
CB should be an interesting competition this year. Nate Clements lost his starting job before he got injured and if he doesn't win it back in camp he's a goner.

Starters for the o-line look like: Staley, Iupati, Heitman, Rachal, Davis which leaves Wragge, Snyder, Wallace, Simms, Baas, Boone Fighting for 3 spots. My guess it's Simms as the swing tackle, Snyder as the flex G/T and Wragge as the C/G. Boone to the practice squad and Wallace and Baas are odd men out.

The Niners are likely to keep 9 OL, not 8. The competition is still interesting for a couple of reasons:

• Last year Simms showed he could play BU LT, but the year before stunk at RT;
  • Last year Snyder showed he's incompetent as a BU RT;
  • The Niners have plenty of people who can play BU G, but BU C is iffy.

So here's how I think it shakes out:

• Whoever shows up best at RT in TC and PS -- regardless of versatility -- gets to stay. Having someone who can play that position at all is too important.
  • Whoever shows up best at BU C gets extra credit, assuming he's competent at BU G. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it will sure help.
  • No question Simms stays on, assuming the coaches don't see a severe dropoff playing LT in TC and PS.

In this scenario, I think it's going to be tough for Snyder, since memories will be fresh that he can't play the position where he'd be needed most (RT), so long as Simms is still around to back up LT. If Boone shines here, I don't see how the Niners keep Snyder unless all the backup interior linemen stink.

Similarly, it looks bad for Wallace, especially if Baas show up at center (if the Niners try him there), since whatever the prevailing mood in the Zone, he'll be the best backup guard at worst. So I think it'll come down to Wragge vs. Wallace, with Wragge having shown something in the past, and Wallace not much.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Mookster:
CB should be an interesting competition this year. Nate Clements lost his starting job before he got injured and if he doesn't win it back in camp he's a goner.

Starters for the o-line look like: Staley, Iupati, Heitman, Rachal, Davis which leaves Wragge, Snyder, Wallace, Simms, Baas, Boone Fighting for 3 spots. My guess it's Simms as the swing tackle, Snyder as the flex G/T and Wragge as the C/G. Boone to the practice squad and Wallace and Baas are odd men out.

The Niners are likely to keep 9 OL, not 8. The competition is still interesting for a couple of reasons:

• Last year Simms showed he could play BU LT, but the year before stunk at RT;
  • Last year Snyder showed he's incompetent as a BU RT;
  • The Niners have plenty of people who can play BU G, but BU C is iffy.

So here's how I think it shakes out:

• Whoever shows up best at RT in TC and PS -- regardless of versatility -- gets to stay. Having someone who can play that position at all is too important.
  • Whoever shows up best at BU C gets extra credit, assuming he's competent at BU G. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it will sure help.
  • No question Simms stays on, assuming the coaches don't see a severe dropoff playing LT in TC and PS.

In this scenario, I think it's going to be tough for Snyder, since memories will be fresh that he can't play the position where he'd be needed most (RT), so long as Simms is still around to back up LT. If Boone shines here, I don't see how the Niners keep Snyder unless all the backup interior linemen stink.

Similarly, it looks bad for Wallace, especially if Baas show up at center (if the Niners try him there), since whatever the prevailing mood in the Zone, he'll be the best backup guard at worst. And don't forget that the Niners may need a new starting center in the next couple of years. So I think it'll come down to Wragge vs. Wallace, with Wragge having shown something in the past, and Wallace not much.
Parys Haralson will go before Manny Lawson
what about Joe John Finley vs Nate Byham?
Originally posted by solidg2000:

The addition of Travis LaBoy creates a little doubt for Parys...
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
what about Joe John Finley vs Nate Byham?

That will be a very entertaining competition!

Parys isn't going anywhere. They just signed him to an extension last April with $6.5 Million guaranteed.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Parys isn't going anywhere. They just signed him to an extension last April with $6.5 Million guaranteed.

Ah, yes, that's right. Wonder if Paraag is having buyer's regret. If Brooks and LaBoy turn out to be the most effective pass rushers, I guess the Niners can try to get some of their money's worth putting him opposite Lawson on the rushing downs. My fear is that with that kind of guaranteed money in pocket, Haralson could very well decide to glide.
Delanie Walker.

Ther club needs its second TE to be a better blocker than Walker. Blocking skill while still possessing short-yardage, move-the-sticks receiver skills is what is needed opposite TE Davis. Walker is too much like Davis as a receiver. When Walker is on the field, the threat of a run to his side is minimal. I expect both the veteran Tony Curtis and the rookie TE from Pitt, to both make the squad as TE's #2 and #3.
I really dont think McKillop will be cut, Spikes doesnt have much left in the tank and McKillop is a second year ILB with a lot of upside left, cutting him doesnt make any sense, unless Bowman is that much better then maybe McKillop will be cut.

Mrob is the odd man out IMO, Dixon and Coffee will be groomed to join Gore in a three headed RB attack, unless Mrob can be the teams starting FB then maybe he has a chance to stick around...and with that said IMO Moran Norris will be cut, his better days are in the rearview mirror and Finley & Miller will have a shot to make the active roster.

Cody Wallace will also be cut, I dont see him beating out Wragge or Baas for a roster spot.

I think it could be Moran Norris...Norris does not seem to be the FB he was in 2006 and they brought in a FA that was with Raye in NY....

43 Caulcrick , Jehuu FB 6-0 250 26 1 Michigan State
Originally posted by Chico:
M-Rob
Morran Norris
Manny Lawson -???
Dre Bly
Adam Snyder
Brandon Jones

Lawson had one of the better 3-4 OLB seasons in the NFL last year. were not cutting him. we'd at least try him out at DE before we just dumped him, but he has to actually play poorly before we start going that route even.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Ah, yes, that's right. Wonder if Paraag is having buyer's regret. If Brooks and LaBoy turn out to be the most effective pass rushers, I guess the Niners can try to get some of their money's worth putting him opposite Lawson on the rushing downs. My fear is that with that kind of guaranteed money in pocket, Haralson could very well decide to glide.

LaBoy is coming off injury... no clue what he'll bring.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Brandon Jones for sure. He makes way to much money.
David Carr
Moran Norris
Michael Lewis

As far as Manny, if he leaves it'll be via trade. if not, he finishes out his contract

Throw in Nate Clements, if hes not in top form, he's gone
Share 49ersWebzone