There are 168 users in the forums

Surprise Roster Cut???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
On Manny Lawson: He's in the final year of his rookie contract. Cutting him, at his current level of play, would not be a good football move. He's a solid player at his position and a relative bargain at his current price as a backup. A trade I could see, but no way is he cut.

On Michael Lewis: He's expensive, he's hurt quite a bit. He's an excellent mentor to a young 2nd pick in his probowl mold. I don't see him cut, but this is his last year

On Adam Snyder: Struggled as a starter last year, but played well in a back up role. I'm on the fence on this one

On Nate Clements: Big salary, big demotion last year prior to injury. I don't expect him to be cut, be aren't we looking for a surprise? This is Nuns surprise cut of 2010.

On any UDFA: Can't possibly be tagged a surprise, unless you are citing them as a surprise to make the roster.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by natrone06:
I dont get the Manny talk. The 49ers like Manny Lawson they just dont want to give him a huge contract. The were looking for a 2nd round pick in return for trading him. Hes not making any money and it would make 0 sense in cutting him now instead of letting him play out the rest of the season and letting him walk after.

No shyt,we have some great football minds right here on the zone!

As of today, that would be my big surprise cut (assuming he doesn't attend any mandatory meetings/practices). Singletary is a big fan of committed players, already loves Brooks, we have LaBoy too, plus Briggs and Long and a healthy Haralson this year. Do we really need a 1st and 2nd down-only OLB who's best asset today is in run defense despite primarily being used in the pass rush and rarely used in coverage? Bringing Brooks or LaBoy in for him on 3rd downs to pass rush only makes our defense more predictable. Most LB's are good against the run anyhow. Both MM & MB allude to the fact the coaching staff is not happy with Manny anyhow and that is backed up even more with them trying to trade him. Manny's never been challenged to perform until Brooks showed up and it wasn't until Brooks took his PR downs, that Manny showed some serious passion and played his best 3 or 4 games. Motivation questions? Meanwhile players were signng waivers JUST to participate with the team in OTA's while Manny sat at home pouting about contract when clearly, we have higher priorities to sign LT.

If he wants the big contract (which he never really earned IMHO in the first place), show up, bust your tail, have a great "team attitude" produce the way he was initially drafted for (sacks), maintain really good run defense, defend a pass, excel on ST's and keep LaBoy and Brooks on the bench. Show you are an every down OLB in the 3-4 and that you can perform your #1 duty - QB pressures.

So are we dumb fans for thinking he's getting the Ahmed Plummer treatment?

Read up more...

"most LB's are good against the run anyhow"-

I like Brooks and Haralson but neither they or LaBoy can cover sideline to sideline like Manny can-PERIOD.

So Mr Lawson comes out on obvious passing downs because according to you he can't get to the QB(6.5 sacks which led the team) and that makes them predictable....

You say Manny's #1 duty is to get to the QB?WRONG
It is Parys and Brooks #1 duty to get to the QB because that's what they do best.Manny on the other hand can run support,get to the QB,cover some TE's,RB's,force fumbles,play sideline to sideline and has the most speed at LB outside Willis.

Manny is a very big part of the defense,just go ask Coach Singletary

One more thing Mr.dumb fan,I guess you don't know the 49ers will not always bring
QB pressure from the outside,it will come from anywhere and that itself will make them UNPREDICTABLE
theres no way michael lewis is getting cut
I think all the cuts will be fairly predictable. The surprise will be that there will be no surprise.
willis
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Brandon Jones for sure. He makes way to much money.

Cutting Brandon Jones would not be a surprise, it would be overdue.. I think Scotty sealed his fate when he signed this guy.

By far his worst signing.
I can see Jones getting cut.

M. Robinson is a very valuable contributor on special teams which makes him a very tough person to cut.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Nate Byham
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Biggest surprise would be Manny!

I really think Snyder, MRob, Jones are goners for sure.

I would rather just trade him...i would take a 4th round pick if i have too
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Brandon Jones for sure. He makes way to much money.

I wouldn't consider this a "surprise" roster cut.

McKillop
Wallace
Jones
Originally posted by matt49er:
McKillop
Wallace
Jones

The Niners are thin at ILB, so McKillop almost certainly stays.

Guys I think are on the bubble (and none of these would be a surprise cut):

Evans
Wallace
Jones or Hill (whoever plays better during TC and PS stays)
Boone or Snyder (ditto)
Norris

Other guys at risk, but maybe less so, are Robinson, Taylor, and Paymah.
Robinson... i like da guy but we drafted a big back, and tried to bring in LeGarrett Blount.. I see the writing on da wall...
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LeRoy Vann, he's going to be the Kory Sheets of training camp this year.

An undrafted free agent is going to get cut? The word "surprise" needs to be removed from the title of this thread
CB should be an interesting competition this year. Nate Clements lost his starting job before he got injured and if he doesn't win it back in camp he's a goner.

Starters for the o-line look like: Staley, Iupati, Heitman, Rachal, Davis which leaves Wragge, Snyder, Wallace, Simms, Baas, Boone Fighting for 3 spots. My guess it's Simms as the swing tackle, Snyder as the flex G/T and Wragge as the C/G. Boone to the practice squad and Wallace and Baas are odd men out.
Share 49ersWebzone