LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Mini Camp Thread - (June 17-18)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49 questions heading into OTAs

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/05/49-questions-heading-into-otas.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/14/10/Maiocco-49ers-OTAs-Next-Week/landing_maiocco_v3.html?full_args=05/14/10/Maiocco-49ers-OTAs-Next-Week/landing_maiocco_v3&blockID=234838&feedID=5936

Quote:
There is no known contract issues with Spencer and Clements.

Quote:
It does not seem likely Lawson will attend the voluntary sessions.

Quote:
The 49ers' entire draft class is expected to attend. The 49ers want to get immediate contributions from Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati

Quote:
The 49ers also have OTAs scheduled for June 7-8, June 10-11 and June 14-16. The team's one mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 18-20. Training camp opens in late-July.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Manny is really hurting himself by not showing up to these OTAs. Play out the season and then see what happens, but going about it this way is totally wrong.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
49 questions heading into OTAs

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/05/49-questions-heading-into-otas.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/14/10/Maiocco-49ers-OTAs-Next-Week/landing_maiocco_v3.html?full_args=05/14/10/Maiocco-49ers-OTAs-Next-Week/landing_maiocco_v3&blockID=234838&feedID=5936

Quote:
There is no known contract issues with Spencer and Clements.

Quote:
It does not seem likely Lawson will attend the voluntary sessions.

Quote:
The 49ers' entire draft class is expected to attend. The 49ers want to get immediate contributions from Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati

Quote:
The 49ers also have OTAs scheduled for June 7-8, June 10-11 and June 14-16. The team's one mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 18-20. Training camp opens in late-July.

What's the deal with "how Shawne Merriman will look with his new team" Did I miss something?
So far, it's just speculation that he won't show up, as far as I know. I agree that it's a mistake on his part, and not like him. I don't know who his agent is, but it seems to me that Manny's listening to his advice, if he doesn't show. It sucks for him if he participates and gets injured, sure... but he's not gonna be doing his career any favors by not participating.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

What's the deal with "how Shawne Merriman will look with his new team" Did I miss something?

Just a subtle, joking and perhaps suggestive opinion on the beatwriter's part.

Could he have caught wind of a trade in the making? It's possible... but I strongly doubt it.
There's no contact/pads during this OTA, correct or not...?
If Manny doesnt show he can kiss his starting job good bye.
Originally posted by highway49:

i think you are correct. this was about the time last year, where brandon jones sounded like he was going to be the next steve smith.

Quote:
--Yes, I'll definitely be watching Iupati during the practice sessions, but it is very difficult to draw any conclusions about offensive linemen based on non-padded practices.

• TFSP
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

i think you are correct. this was about the time last year, where brandon jones sounded like he was going to be the next steve smith.

Yep. While diving for an Alex Smith touchdown pass, he dug his shoulder into the ground. I thought they said there was a break in the shoulder bone somewhere?
  • TFSP
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
If Manny doesnt show he can kiss his starting job good bye.

With Laboy around, this could get interesting. Actually the entire linebacker rotation will be interesting to observe who dominates this year in what.

And if you reading this M. Lawson, "blood, stop tripping. You did well last year. Caused a lot of open field turnovers and made many open field tackles. Rushed the passer ok. If you have a better year than last year, I see the "newer" people in the organization taking great care of you."-- us!

For the first time, yes first, in his career, Alex Smith is the unquestionable starting QB with the same OC. As a result, we see more confidence from he and his teammates. I see Alex blossoming and becoming more than "functional" in this O. Instead, I see him being able to use that intellect of his and become an OC on the field a la Manning. He did it at Utah and he's doing it here. Alex now has the resources to become successful in this offense:

He's matured physically, mentally and probably spiritually, believing in himself more
The same OC and QB coach second year running
The same digit system from Norv sprinkled w a lil WCO from McCarthy
More talent, beef and twinkle toes on the OL (Iupati and Davis)
Better coaching for said talent on OL in Solari and Brown
Faster, speedy an quicker WRs for the edge and slot (Ginn and Williams, maybe Vann)
More resources for short yardage success in Iupati and Dixon

That is why it is important to see this unit GEL in the OTAs. You want them to look crisp, expand on the offense, and be consistent with plays.

Progress is the word of the week...one hit at a time.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

Just a subtle, joking and perhaps suggestive opinion on the beatwriter's part.

Could he have caught wind of a trade in the making? It's possible... but I strongly doubt it.

41. Can Shawne Merriman have an impact in his first practice with his new team?
42. Were you paying enough attention to notice that last nonsense question?

would be nice though...
Share 49ersWebzone