I'm sure he will blitz sometimes.

Way to go out on a limb.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm sure he will blitz sometimes.

Way to go out on a limb.

Mays would be very effective opposite Laboy when it comes to playing teams with quick outside runningbacks. The outside dump offs or screens other offenses utilize can also be nullified.

It will be interesting to see what a creative minded coach can dream up when scheming with the players that the Niners now have.

I see a very quick to close type defense once the play has ben sniffed out!

he will be a good blitzing ss ala brian dawkins but he is a safety he ran faster at combine than any other safety or corner we need speed in the secondary we were burned by fast players desean jackson roddy white and chris johnson he is strong safety and a upgrade over mike lewis and mark roman stop trying to change his position and let the man play his highlight reel shows he can intercept and knock opponents lights out i see him as an adrian wilson type of ss

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1399X522769&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-videos%2F09000d5d817803fd%2F2010-Draft-Vignettes-Taylor-Mays-USC&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.49erswebzone.com%2Fforum%2Fthread.php%3Fnum%3D141761%26page%3D2
Originally posted by islander:
Mays would be very effective opposite Laboy when it comes to playing teams with quick outside runningbacks. The outside dump offs or screens other offenses utilize can also be nullified.

It will be interesting to see what a creative minded coach can dream up when scheming with the players that the Niners now have.

I see a very quick to close type defense once the play has ben sniffed out!

We already have that now. Have had it for some time. Too bad we haven't sniffed out enough screens last year.

~Ceadder
Taylor Mays is a safety

Dude, yeah lets turn somone into a OLB, who has not shown any ability at all to rush the passer, and has no pass rush moves.....
How about we make sure he has coverage skills before we make him a one dimensional player that teams can plan around.

Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
As a change of pace, how do you think Mays could do in obvious passing situations? He could play OLB opposite Brooks. He's fast, quick, and loves to hit. I would have him alternate with Lawson as change of pace tactic. I think Mays would spin the heads of most R.T's. He may not start at the beginning of this season or all this next year. It could be an interesting role for him as a pass rusher. He's be O.K. against the run too if that happened while he was in. Any thoughts?

Parys, brooks, Laboy and even Lawson over Mays in pass rushing skills. I would love to see him blitz alot, but not from the OLB position.
ALL good points, BUT none of those guys you mention have the combination size AND speed of Mays. He could be and interesting guy off the edge. Your right though, he'd also be VERY effective off the edge at Safety too!

Manny Lawson: 6'5", 240 lbs, 4.41 40 at the combine.

Thats pretty freakish if you ask me.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Dude, yeah lets turn somone into a OLB, who has not shown any ability at all to rush the passer, and has no pass rush moves.....

My thoughts exactly. Like turning M-Rob into a long snapper
i think he will be used to blitz. we use safeties to blitz once in a while. or CBs. i could see him doing it once in a while
Can he cover NFL receivers, TEs or RBs? If not, he won't be on the field much.

Let's see if he can do that before we annoint him as ronnielott2.0.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
I love the idea of Mays off the edge. If the bottom was Mays instead of spencer Kitna would not have come back that game.

Share 49ersWebzone