LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

I can't wait to see the Woooo Hits!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Taylor Mays game can be 90% of what Ronnie Lott's game was, I will be surprised and delighted. He sure has the physical presence. But Lott started out as a CB.

Where do you line him up? As a SS close to the box? Short, quick slot receivers are going to run right by him, even if his hips can get more fluid. Straight line speed doesn't correlate to quick lateral motion, and at 6'3" tall, he just can't cut and run like a 5'10" 190 lb receiver like Eddie Royal. If they let him cover TEs, he won't get burned too badly. If he can take correct angles, (assuming he can wrap up),he definitely will be a force in run support.

USC played him deep, figuring that his closing speed and woo hits were his two biggest assets. Intimidation over the middle has it's merits. And woo hits on TEs on seam routes would be welcome. But as a center fielder, he has to take good angles. None of the woo hit highlights on this thread show Mays taking an angle on a back sweeping around end and going down the sideline. Remember when Willis ran down a back 40 yards down field and saved a TD? That was more than speed, that was a good angle. The one play where Mays knocks out a RB, it looks like gap containment to me.

In a game, if Mays gets a Woo hit and allows receivers 2 40+ yd receptions, will you be happy with the second round selection?

Let's hope during OTAs, 7 on 7s, we hear that Mays is batting balls down and maybe even stepping in front of a pass or two.
I hope he does a tremendous job playing against the seachickens. I'd be mad if we don't beat them twice this year. I would love to see him jack up hasselbroke.
Share 49ersWebzone