There are 208 users in the forums

CBS sports has us #21????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can see why Prisco is so knowledgeable.

Jags - They had an awesome draft, especially their 1st round reach! They will continue to dominate the bottom of their division and look forward to drafting in the Top 10 again next year.

Cards - Leinart is a beast! He'll make sure to throw more INTs than TDs, pretty much a sure bet. Can't wait to see him fail while we sweep the division!
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Ranking teams in May seems like an exercise in futility true enough. I too want to be the last team anyone thinks is going to contend until like week 6 or 7. I would love it if we were a fixture on all of ESPN's talking head shows during their ceaseless "real deal or pretender" segments.

That said, there can be no discernable way that the Jacksonville Jaguars are ranked higher than us. Why - because of their 2 new defensive tackles? Because of the latest Faider cast off Kirk Morrison? If Prisco gave any incling into the thought process, you wouldn't hear me arguing about these dumb, 4-months too early rankings.

Your second paragraph is the reason why they put these rankings out. It gets people talking. Nothing more nothing less. They probably put 5 minutes of thought into these rankings. Half of it is just to create conversation it isn't even about beign accurate. With 2 million NFL blogs you just want hits.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nobody will take the 49ers seriously until the QB situation becomes settled, I consider these "power" rankings more of "rank the teams based on their QB, then everything else; OL, defense, playmakers, etc."
  • TFSP
Remove yourself from the 'Matrix".

Last year stats don't mean crap. Football is not like baseball when it comes to stats. If it's not a proven team like a NE, Balt, Pitt, or SD, OR a team that made such a huge transition, (i.e and I hate to say it, but with a team like the Raiders, what they did this offseason and draft...as a person who understands football, you can't say the Raiders are going to be as weak this year. Polls will have them pretty much the same as last year's record).

Point is, you just can't go off stats of 'a' last year to say how a team is going to be this year. Nobody knows jack s**t on how a team will REALLY do until after mini-camp injuries, and at least the first 4 games of the season. And that's based off the strength of the schedule". Then we can project who's real and who's not.
Doesnt matter. If you want respect you gotta earn it and/or take it. Seems pretty accurate for an 8-8 team who hasnt made the playoffs in almost a decade. Let it be fuel to the fire as we kick ass and take names in 2010. I expect big things from the Niners this year.
I'd rather be ranked 32, please make us the underdog to everyone we play... makes the games that much better!
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Doesnt matter. If you want respect you gotta earn it and/or take it. Seems pretty accurate for an 8-8 team who hasnt made the playoffs in almost a decade. Let it be fuel to the fire as we kick ass and take names in 2010. I expect big things from the Niners this year.

NFL Analysts look at team trends. Seasons are connected with one another.

49er fans - believe each season is a brand new start. So the losing streak to them is irrelevant

The Analysts are being rational. Niners belong anywhere between 15-25
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by hubbyt:

NFL Analysts look at team trends. Seasons are connected with one another.

49er fans - believe each season is a brand new start. So the losing streak to them is irrelevant

The Analysts are being rational. Niners belong anywhere between 15-25

Exactly. Until proven otherwise.
are they for real?
clark judge probably has something to do with this

Ranking teams in May seems like an exercise in futility true enough. I too want to be the last team anyone thinks is going to contend until like week 6 or 7. I would love it if we were a fixture on all of ESPN's talking head shows during their ceaseless "real deal or pretender" segments.

That said, there can be no discernable way that the Jacksonville Jaguars are ranked higher than us. Why - because of their 2 new defensive tackles? Because of the latest Faider cast off Kirk Morrison? If Prisco gave any incling into the thought process, you wouldn't hear me arguing about these dumb, 4-months too early rankings.

It's f**king disgusting, we had 5 Pro-bowlers last season (with 3 original starters), we just drafted the finishing touches to an already talented play-off-potential team, we play in a garbage division - AND THEY PUT US BEHIND THE JAGS AND REDSKINS!? (2 teams that usually finish last within their most toughest/respective divisions in the NFL).

CBS rides the short bus in the sporting world, that's why they lost the contract to the big-money NFC-primetime scene after 1993.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

It's f**king disgusting, we had 5 Pro-bowlers last season (with 3 original starters), we just drafted the finishing touches to an already talented play-off-potential team, we play in a garbage division - AND THEY PUT US BEHIND THE JAGS AND REDSKINS!? (2 teams that usually finish last within their most toughest/respective divisions in the NFL).

CBS rides the short bus in the sporting world, that's why they lost the contract to the big-money NFC-primetime scene after 1993.

Power rankings don't take into account divisions. At least they are not supposed to. It is how you would rank the teams if there were no divisions.
What do you guys want? Your number 1 and 2 QB's are Alex Smith and David Carr?
Why should they have us ranked higher. I'm sure we'll start off 3-1 or something great. THen go on our annual middle of the season losing streak just to get it together to be 8-8 or 9-7 at the end of the season, and hopefully the Seahawks wont be any better than that.
Originally posted by Happs:
Good! Just the way I like it. Under the radar.

This
Share 49ersWebzone