LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Teams weaknesses

Shop Find 49ers gear online
!. Speed
2. Secondary
O line?
Didn't we just fix that problem?

If Davis and Iupati don't make an impact this year we may have blew this years draft.

CB's are same as last year.
OLB's same as last year.
There's your weaknesses folks.
CB SPEED is our major concern right now!!!
Originally posted by BigBug415:
O line?
Didn't we just fix that problem?

If Davis and Iupati don't make an impact this year we may have blew this years draft.

CB's are same as last year.
OLB's same as last year.
There's your weaknesses folks.

2 Rookies on the O-line and you assume if they don't make an impact this year, the entire draft was a waste!?!

Rhetorical Question: How can the O-line get worse? There will be an impact!

I agree that the CB position remains a weakness, but lets see what Brooks, Lawson, and Harralson can do this year. If not, there isn't a ton of money invested in them.
Inconsistency is the weakness. It was like that the whole last year. Yeah, on defense too

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 10, 2010 at 11:08:26 ]
  • dj43
The greatest single weakness last year was an overall lack of team speed. That remains the greatest weakness despite the addition of Mays and Ginn. Other than those two guys, the players on the field, both offensively and defensively, will be the same.

The same guys who could not react quickly enough to screen passes will still have the same troubles, although Mays will help if he makes the starting lineup. Sealing the edge on running plays will also be an issue again, especially if the team has given up on Lawson as it appears.

Secondary speed is not as much of a pure issue as it is whether or not Clements can wean himself from biting on the first move of every receiver that comes his way. Spencer is fine and was the best DB last year, but he is only one. Goldson, though glittery in a few games, was also torched in others. The jury is still out on him as a FS, although the team MUST hope he learns quickly.

Offensively, if Ginn does not spend a lot of time on the field, it will be hard to open up the passing game using Raye's ultra-conservative, imagination-lacking routes. There are NO backs with speed, Crabtree/Morgan have only average WR speed, Davis HAS speed but it Byham does not work out as a blocker, Davis will continue to be more a blocker than receiver.

So, yes, overall team speed, while improved over last season, will still not scare anybody.

Lack of offensive imagination is still an issue, and that may not change.

The other big deal is the lack of a legitimate pass rush threat. As it stands now, the team has opted to take one of its best pass/run defenders (Lawson) off the field in favor of a guy with a troubled past (Brooks) and very shallow resume as a pass rusher. What the 49ers need to do is draft a pass rusher that supplements a current solid player, not just put him on the bench. The Brooks/Lawson combo is not even close to what is needed in pass rush. The need is still out there. The best hope for now is that a gem will fall out of the sky and light up the camp - sorry, I'm not that kind of optimist.

10-6 and a first weekend win in the playoffs will be a max accomplishment for this team, based on what we have actually seen.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
QB
~ Raye
~ Singletary game day coaching and management.
~ Lack elite pass rusher.
~ Lots of rookies on O Line. How will they perform?
~ Alex is better but will he continue to improve?
~ Yorks...
this year o line iupati is raw and davis is too young untill i see otherwise in TC or preseason game it is still a weakness

secondary speed mainly our S hopefully mays can fix that

consistant pass rush we show up some games other games were invisable

based on last year QB is not a weakness however it isnt a strength either
i'm not good at watching film and judging the ability of the football players the way a scout would, but I know that a major problem for the team has been consistency and focus. how many years is it now that we've dropped the game after the bye-week? the 9ers can really show up sometimes, like they did against the vikings, but other times it's just embarrassing. I remember sitting there watching the rams game and just praying that we would put some freaking points on the board.

• ASHYLARRY51
  • Info N/A
i completely i agree with you. perfect example was the last game we had against Seattle in Seattle. Alex Smith was actually having a decent game it was the play calling that i had problems with. I actually blame the loss on the coaching staff. also got to agree with the play calling in the 1st half of games... aren't teams suppose to rack up points the 1st half and run the clock out in the 2nd half when you have a lead. i know it depends on the game situation, however too many time have the niners been in the situation in where the team is always down be 2 scores and we always have to go into a spread formation to have a chance to win the game....Coach Sing wants a balance attack but you can't have a balanced attack when you're always dealing with a defecit in the 2nd half
why is QB not #1 on everyone's list? hahaha. im not a smith hater, but last year his QB rating was 81. That's not good. That's progress, but in terms of the whole league.. not good. Hopefully he can step it up this year.

#2- probably pass protection
#3 - offensive play calling
#4 - pass defense
its pretty simple, the teams weakness is winning on the road
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
why is QB not #1 on everyone's list? hahaha. im not a smith hater, but last year his QB rating was 81. That's not good. That's progress, but in terms of the whole league.. not good. Hopefully he can step it up this year.

#2- probably pass protection
#3 - offensive play calling
#4 - pass defense

To his credit, there were alot of dropped passes last year. His ratings could've easily been in the 90s. But yea, i'm of all the excuses also. Just do it next year.
Game plan? Game management.
Share 49ersWebzone