There are 224 users in the forums

Dallas Morning News says Niners could be SB Contender

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by archcity49er:
As Alex Smith goes we go...

Or in brass tax we ain't going very far. The fact the Raiders have a better QB than us now, is just straight out depressing. And of course they cut their #1 overall bus, yet ours is still starting for us. They could actually beat us this year, I mean they have a QB who is at least decent we don't. As good as we are and we are very good in virtually every other area, it doesn't make that much of a difference if you don't have a QB. I'd be ok with Nate Davis at this point, cuz at least we don't really know what Nate can do good or bad.

I would take Alex Smith over Jason Campbell any day. Campbell right out sucks. Why do you think the Redskins would pursue McNabb and just let Campbell go? Alex has done nothing but improve, this is his year to shine and I believe he would be above average this year. Nothing great, just a B+ QB.

~Dann~

Haha wow they got McNabb so they could relieve Dan Synder's big name QB fetish. For goodness sake Jason threw for more yards than McNabb did last year with no Chris Cooley for the 2nd half of the year no line and the best and really only option being Santana Moss, vs. all the f'ing talent McNabb had. And of course Alex has improved, I would hope so, shoot Jamarcus will probably improve too if he gets another shot. Alex couldn't even throw against the f'ing Cards, Tavaris Jackson torched the Cards the year they went to the SB, yet Alex is still Alex and the Raiders and most of the NFL have us beat at the most important position.

Eli had a hard time passing against the tards too, does that mean he sucks?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910250nyg.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200912140sfo.htm

Yeah Eli had Smith in yards but Smitty threw 1 more TD and 1 less INT. The Tards D was a lot better this year until the playoffs.
It's more then just one game that leads many fans to conclude that Alex Smith is a terrible qb. It's his complete resume an NFL qb. Sure, every qb will have a bad game now and then. There might even be times where a really good qb does just as poorly as Smith against a certain team. However, good qbs should have good games on their record that far outnumber their bad ones.

When Manning plays like dogpoo it's the exception for him. When Smith plays poorly against a good team it's the norm. Smith always plays poorly against good teams. I challenge anyone to point to a mere two games last season where Smith played well for 4 qtrs against a good team.

The Niners wont become serious playoff contenders until the play at qb improves.
Every team is a Super Bowl Contender right now
Originally posted by KOniner:
This is from Gerry Fraley of the Morning News.

"Aside from the Saints, the Vikings and the Cowboys, which other NFC team do you see a contender for the Super Bowl?
It might be a year too soon, but San Francisco seems to be on a decided rise. The Niners won five of their final eight last year. Not earth-shattering but worth noting."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/050710dnspofraleychatbreakdown2.1c5a0d3.html

Looks like the national media is beginning to take the Niners seriously this year.

Gerry is hallucinating and needs to have a serious talk with the Mad Hatter.
Pull over to the side of the road, y"all. Some yahoo from Dallas makes a slight mention of the Niners with the word SB and people are off and running. First of all, we have a much, much tougher schedule than we have had in the last 7 years. Secondly, their are some other really good, young teams on the rise also. . . .and lastly, the BIG unknown "Which team(s) is/are going to be knocked down by injuries"? At least wait until Halloween before even thinking along SB lines.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Pull over to the side of the road, y"all. Some yahoo from Dallas makes a slight mention of the Niners with the word SB and people are off and running. First of all, we have a much, much tougher schedule than we have had in the last 7 years. Secondly, their are some other really good, young teams on the rise also. . . .and lastly, the BIG unknown "Which team(s) is/are going to be knocked down by injuries"? At least wait until Halloween before even thinking along SB lines.

Huh? This might be the easiest road to a div title that the Niners have had in over seven years.

The NFC West is horrible. Thanks to Warner retiring the Niners could probably win the div with only 8 victories. Remember, we only have to be the best in our sorry div to qualify for the playoffs. WINNING in the playoffs is the problem.

49ers schedule

Hawks- Win

Saints- Loss (maybe, Saints played several poor games against inferior opponents last season).

Chiefs- Win

Falcons- Win

Eagles- Loss

Raiders- Win

Panthers- Win

Broncos- Win

Rams- Win

Bucs- Win

Cardinals- Win

Packers- Loss

Hawks- Win

Chargers- Loss

Rams-Win

Cardinals- Win

The Niners path to the playoffs

#1 Sweep the div (6 wins)

#2 Beat the crap teams on our schedule: Raiders, Panthers, Bucs, Chiefs

If the Niners manage that it won't matter if the Saints,Packers and Chargers destroy us in the reg season. Niners will still make the playoffs.

If the Niners don't improve at all from last season they could still end up with 9 or 10 wins in 2010 thanks to our schedule, Warner's retirement and a crappy division.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by KOniner:
This is from Gerry Fraley of the Morning News.

"Aside from the Saints, the Vikings and the Cowboys, which other NFC team do you see a contender for the Super Bowl?
It might be a year too soon, but San Francisco seems to be on a decided rise. The Niners won five of their final eight last year. Not earth-shattering but worth noting."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/050710dnspofraleychatbreakdown2.1c5a0d3.html

Looks like the national media is beginning to take the Niners seriously this year.

same thing happened last year, then we took the field.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Or in brass tax we ain't going very far. The fact the Raiders have a better QB than us now, is just straight out depressing. And of course they cut their #1 overall bus, yet ours is still starting for us. They could actually beat us this year, I mean they have a QB who is at least decent we don't. As good as we are and we are very good in virtually every other area, it doesn't make that much of a difference if you don't have a QB. I'd be ok with Nate Davis at this point, cuz at least we don't really know what Nate can do good or bad.

I would take Alex Smith over Jason Campbell any day. Campbell right out sucks. Why do you think the Redskins would pursue McNabb and just let Campbell go? Alex has done nothing but improve, this is his year to shine and I believe he would be above average this year. Nothing great, just a B+ QB.

~Dann~

Haha wow they got McNabb so they could relieve Dan Synder's big name QB fetish. For goodness sake Jason threw for more yards than McNabb did last year with no Chris Cooley for the 2nd half of the year no line and the best and really only option being Santana Moss, vs. all the f'ing talent McNabb had. And of course Alex has improved, I would hope so, shoot Jamarcus will probably improve too if he gets another shot. Alex couldn't even throw against the f'ing Cards, Tavaris Jackson torched the Cards the year they went to the SB, yet Alex is still Alex and the Raiders and most of the NFL have us beat at the most important position.

well the raiders beat the steelers who won the superbowl the year before too. anything can happen in football. just because tavaris wasnt himself for one sunday doesnt mean anything. i cant wait to see all the people hating on smith eat their words when he takes us to the playoffs this year.

He takes us to the Playoffs this year, do you hear yourself? If we make the Playoffs it will be in spite of Alex Smith, just like Carolina a couple years back with their dummy of a QB.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

~Dann~

Yeah Eli had Smith in yards but Smitty threw 1 more TD and 1 less INT. The Tards D was a lot better this year until the playoffs.

Their pass D sucks period, and Eli would of had a better game if his wr's would of came to play, droppin' balls and running the wrong routes and what not. Bottom line Alex Smith is a joke a bust whatever. We could have McNabb, Campbell, Clausen, bottom line we could actually have a QB and on a road to about 11 or 12 wins right now, but no we have to stick wit dis moronic QB of ours.

~Dann~

well the raiders beat the steelers who won the superbowl the year before too. anything can happen in football. just because tavaris wasnt himself for one sunday doesnt mean anything. i cant wait to see all the people hating on smith eat their words when he takes us to the playoffs this year.

He takes us to the Playoffs this year, do you hear yourself? If we make the Playoffs it will be in spite of Alex Smith, just like Carolina a couple years back with their dummy of a QB.

How about we make a judgement on what actually happens Nostradamus?

Originally posted by English:

~Dann~

How about we make a judgement on what actually happens Nostradamus?

Ya sure, as of May 11, 2010, Alex Smith is still a dummy of a QB.
Interesting perspective...if any OL coaches can get both Iupati and Davis ready to start it's Solari and Brown. So, the potential's there...the youngsters will have to come through. They should both excel in the run game, particularly Iupati. If we can establish a more consistent, power running game, there'll be opportunities for Alex to go play-action and make some big plays. The offense only needs to be middle-of-the pack to win some of the close ones we lost last year...so, that's where some sportswriters are tabbing us a dark horses.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by smashmouth51:

Huh? This might be the easiest road to a div title that the Niners have had in over seven years.

The NFC West is horrible. Thanks to Warner retiring the Niners could probably win the div with only 8 victories. Remember, we only have to be the best in our sorry div to qualify for the playoffs. WINNING in the playoffs is the problem.

49ers schedule

Hawks- Win

Saints- Loss (maybe, Saints played several poor games against inferior opponents last season).

Chiefs- Win

Falcons- Win

Eagles- Loss

Raiders- Win

Panthers- Win

Broncos- Win

Rams- Win

Bucs- Win

Cardinals- Win

Packers- Loss

Hawks- Win

Chargers- Loss

Rams-Win

Cardinals- Win

The Niners path to the playoffs

#1 Sweep the div (6 wins)

#2 Beat the crap teams on our schedule: Raiders, Panthers, Bucs, Chiefs

If the Niners manage that it won't matter if the Saints,Packers and Chargers destroy us in the reg season. Niners will still make the playoffs.

If the Niners don't improve at all from last season they could still end up with 9 or 10 wins in 2010 thanks to our schedule, Warner's retirement and a crappy division.

keep in mind saints open up on a thursday so that gives them a week and a half to prepare for us week 2

~Dann~

Their pass D sucks period, and Eli would of had a better game if his wr's would of came to play, droppin' balls and running the wrong routes and what not. Bottom line Alex Smith is a joke a bust whatever. We could have McNabb, Campbell, Clausen, bottom line we could actually have a QB and on a road to about 11 or 12 wins right now, but no we have to stick wit dis moronic QB of ours.

McNabb and Campbell suck, Alex will prove you have no idea what your talking about when he gets more than 2.5 seconds of pass protection this year. And has more than one year of this offensive system under his belt, with Davis, Crabtree, Ginn, Morgan, Gore as weapons. It's Alex's breakout year.

[ Edited by MSteitz468 on May 11, 2010 at 15:58:08 ]

~Dann~

lol Their pass D wasn't that bad last year. They had McFadden and DRC at the corners and both of those guys were pretty good until DRC got hurt and they decided McFadden was too expensive and traded him during the draft. They had Dockett rushing the passer, Wilson is decent in coverage, Rolle was good in coverage, and so was Dansby for a LBer. I watched their game against NYG and the only time he had WRs running the wrong routes was when Manningham f**ked up a go route once or twice. But he still threw 3 picks. I love how when Manning throws INTs it's because his "wrs are running the wrong routes and dropping balls and some 'whatnot'". But when Smith is throwing to a WR who hasn't even been in TC and missed the first 5 weeks of the season and is still learning the playbook and NFL route running everything is his fault? And besides Crabtree and Vernon he was throwing to a bunch of nobodies 2 through 4. I'm calling bulls**t man.
Share 49ersWebzone