LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Yahoo ranks our WR core 15th in the league

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by spizzy:
I stopped reading after they labeled the Lions ahead of us (a team with a washed up WR, and a TE that has yet to go the next level).

Seriously, our TE just went to the pro-bowl (and our team is on the cusp of the playoffs), and Crabs was catching some of the most poorly thrown/poorly-timed passes from Alex Smith, and looked good doing it.

Come on Yahoo.

Washed up? CJ is 25

He plays like a 40 year-old man.

what a clown. how in the world is calvin johnson washed up??
I stopped reading after they labeled the Lions ahead of us (a team with a washed up WR, and a TE that has yet to go the next level).

Seriously, our TE just went to the pro-bowl (and our team is on the cusp of the playoffs), and Crabs was catching some of the most poorly thrown/poorly-timed passes from Alex Smith, and looked good doing it.

Come on Yahoo.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a while. CJ washed up and he's only 25? C'mon man...
Ya got to keep in mind our limitations. We had a Rookie #1 who missed everything in camp. Crabtree missed basically 5 weeks + training camp, OTAs and comes in and gets 48 receptions as a rookie with no camp! He is a stud. After him we have decent players but not studs. Add in a stud TE in Davis and we have two stars. If Smith can take the next step and I think he will, with improved line play we will be in the top 10. Crabtree should have 80 catches or better this season.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Come on Yahoo.

The TE in question was a rook, one who caught more passes than VD did as a rook, and they brought in Burleson (who far outperformed any of our WR's numbers wise last year) and Scheffler to help the passing game.

As for Calvin, he is a great WR, not a washed up WR. He also had a rookie QB for a good number of the teams games and a beat up/washed up Dante Culpepper throwing passes to him. He is a great talent who will only get better as the talent around him improves.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Is the ranking strictly WR's or does it include TE's?
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Is the ranking strictly WR's or does it include TE's?

It includes TE because they mentioned Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, etc.

~Dann~
yahoo sports is a joke. there is nooo way that san diego should be that high. they have jackson gates. thats it. and gates is gettin a little old. dallas, imo, should be way higher. they have austin, a probowl wide receiver. they have williams, a former probowl receiver who can still play a little bit. they have dez bryant, a first round pick with huge potential. they have patrick crayton whos a solid possession receiver. and they have witten and felix jones.
Crabtree will go off this year, make the probowl and we will be top 5 according to this list. they list the top receiver on each team and rank em like that, total bulls**t. Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Ginn and Jones with VD will all be better this year if our shiny new linemen fix our protection problems. the niners will light it up through the air this year
Originally posted by jprchrds:

Come on Yahoo.

Washed up? CJ is 25

what a clown. how in the world is calvin johnson washed up??
this ^

his nickname is Megatron for a reason.

my fellow 9er fans just embarrass me some times.....thank God other nfl fans are most likely not reading this 9ertalk nonsense

Come on Yahoo.

Washed up? CJ is 25

Is that a joke? Calvin is a baller...he is a top 5 WR that has gotten good production in Detroit! But thats all they have, so we should be ahead of them

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's certainly not good. I wouldn't rate us real high. Other than Crabtree who do we have at WR? And even he is overrated on this board IMO. He's no Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.

Wow... you're judging Crabtree way too early. Fitz is the best in the league and CJ is up there, but Crabtree has a shot be special.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Sounds about right.
This list is joke. They have no clue how to evaluate WR talent. The niners probably rank around 20. Remember they have Crabs, V Davis and Ginn.... These guys were all in the top 20 for dropped passes. All young so maybe they are predicting these things get cleared up before next season.
It's Yahoo people, COME ON
Crabtree is gunna be better then Calvin Johnson
Share 49ersWebzone