LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

New Stadium Cause Home Prices To Go Up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by strinersniners:
Why not target the voting homeowners with in the 2.5 mile radius of the proposed stadium with the rise in home value news? Why not send mailers and door hanger brochures? I would think the rise in home value news would bring more "No On Measure J" and "Maybe On Measure J" people to vote "Yes On Measure J".

Ummm or it might go the opposite direction given that NOBODY likes the cost of Property Taxes in the state of California. My folks owned a house in Sonora and their taxes were right around $2500 a year for a house on less than 2/3 of an acre. That was in the 80's-90's. When my dad had to be medically retired, $2500 was too much (on top of the hospital bills) they moved. Your property value goes up yes. But so do your taxes based on the new value. If I owned in that area I would vote no based on just that issue alone.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 9, 2010 at 06:26:27 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Why not target the voting homeowners with in the 2.5 mile radius of the proposed stadium with the rise in home value news? Why not send mailers and door hanger brochures? I would think the rise in home value news would bring more "No On Measure J" and "Maybe On Measure J" people to vote "Yes On Measure J".

Ummm or it might go the opposite direction given that NOBODY likes the cost of Property Taxes in the state of California. My folks owned a house in Sonora and their taxes were right around $2500 a year for a house on less than 2/3 of an acre. That was in the 80's-90's. When my dad had to be medically retired, $2500 was too much (on top of the hospital bills) they moved. Your property value goes up yes. But so do your taxes based on the new value. If I owned in that area I would vote no based on just that issue alone.

~Ceadder

Better yet! Let us hope that home values will go down! Why not be upside down on our loan?

~Ceadder

Whether or not you can still afford the same taxes you had been paying after retirement is a completely different subject. But, in California your property gets a reassessment only if there is new construction or change of ownership. In essence, you pay taxes on the base value of your home at the time you purchased it. I would be thrilled, in these hard times, if my property value made a jump in value.
Exactly.

[ Edited by strinersniners on May 9, 2010 at 15:49:07 ]
Originally posted by MrRedDogSF:

~Ceadder

Whether or not you can still afford the same taxes you had been paying after retirement is a completely different subject. But, in California your property gets a reassessment only if there is new construction or change of ownership. In essence, you pay taxes on the base value of your home at the time you purchased it. I would be thrilled, in these hard times, if my property value made a jump in value.

Exactly.
Hmm.. I wonder how much ticket prices are gonna go up...
Originally posted by cwilson830:

The very rich will be able to purchase season tickets. I am hoping to hit the lotto real soon.

Originally posted by cwilson830:

The very rich will be able to purchase season tickets. I am hoping to hit the lotto real soon.

What am I talking about! I own a house with in the 2.5 mile radius of the proposed stadium. The value of my house will be going way up! I can borrow from my house to purchase season tickets. I can also make extra money by selling hotdogs and soda to stadium customers.

I agree 100% Mr. Strine!
Originally posted by area49:
Guys, I'm starting to get worried about the bill passing. I know I've been harping on about it for a few days, but I'm starting to fear the worst - a move to Los Angeles.

I've already sort of started to dissociate myself from the team so that the emotional impact isn't so great if they do move to LA.

that would be a negative..not going to happen

Originally posted by sj49er408:
I agree 100% Mr. Strine!

Finally, someone with some common sense. Thank you very much!

Originally posted by area49:
Guys, I'm starting to get worried about the bill passing. I know I've been harping on about it for a few days, but I'm starting to fear the worst - a move to Los Angeles.

I've already sort of started to dissociate myself from the team so that the emotional impact isn't so great if they do move to LA.

~Ceadder

My GodMother also lived in Sonora....she had to move because the property taxes got so ridiculous, that and her medical bills as well....
Originally posted by MrRedDogSF:
Real Estate is projected to go up in Santa Clara? EXACTLY! This should be a nice slap in the face for the city of SF. This is one of the main reasons why keeping the stadium in the city is a good thing. A stadium of that caliber gives life to the area.

Why not look at AT&T as an example. What was down there before?? Not a D thing. Now its actually nice to go down there even if the Giants aint playin. Imagine Momo's there without the stadium. That's right, it wouldn't be there, along with a bunch of other places there is to go now. House prices go up? So what? You can do a lot in Bayview/HP. Along with residential projects, you could probably make another "downtown" if you wanted. Talk about moving in the direction of a world class city. WOW. New stadium. Hotels. Nightlife. Jobs. Tourist money..... A 6-8 lane bridge connecting the South Basin or India Basin to the 101. LMAO OK, OK I'll stop pipe dreaming. THAT would never happen, albeit practical. Waaaay to many politics. Got to make sure beetle habitats aren't destroyed or you piss off the wrong group of people, ya know.

So the area will remain the way it is now and only the few that live in the area will know what that looks like. I've read enough posts to know some people on here don't even think Candlestick is in SF. Great. Now there will be nothing in Candlestick Point. Sure its only 10 games a year, but that extra cash comes in NICE and at a nice time of year. For everyone from ushers to parking attendants to hotel maids to airline baggage handlers to waitresses to bartenders and even the SFPD gets some hard sought OT.

KUDOS to Santa Clara for doing the right thing for themselves. I know I'LL be out there droppin coin. You're on your way to being put on the map. Soon in might be the San Jose Bay.

Post WIN. I could only hope Gavin Newsom is reading this post. And here's an article I read a while back that highlights what RedDog is saying about the BS politics involved: Click here.
Share 49ersWebzone