There are 195 users in the forums

Rams scout hired to replace David McCloughan as head of college scouting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
maiocco said on twitter we have "wanted him for a while"

cool
Originally posted by jrg:
Yeah, since the Rams have had such great draft picks.

if you knew anything about football you would know that the scouts only evaluate players and the GM make the pics
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sounds like Baalke had a lot of say about this hire, the guy used to work with him.

[ Edited by mayo63 on May 8, 2010 at 10:19:19 ]
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Just admit that you dont know who the hell this guy is or what impact the move'll have. You can't determine whether this is a good or bad move. None of us can, or ever will. All you can say is, "boo, he scouted for a crappy team." Just because someone scouts for the Patriots or Colts or Vikings or whatever doesn't mean they're good, and just because someone scouts for the Rams or Browns or whatev doesn't make'em bad. He's not becoming the GM or anything. In fact, in a month, most won't even remember what his name is.

None of you should care about this move because it's a support role that can never be judged by us. We'll never know what he contributes or really have any criteria to judge him by. The only positive or negative that can be attributed is whether our guys want him or not. If they like'im better, I like him better and I'll probably never know whether he's awesome or is terrible.

WTF?!!!

I do believe I answered that. I stated how I look at the move. I'm using his F'N job history.

If you go to interview with a company and they can't verify what you did in your job, I'm sure they do TWO things. They look at WHERE you worked(in this case Patten worked for the Rams and the Skins) and what those companies success rate is regarding your position.

In both instances the results don't come off favorable. Now please show me any other way of looking at it and I'll be more than happy to consider it. If you can't then why don't YOU stop. I said we won't know. So if you are done busting my chops...

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 8, 2010 at 07:48:53 ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Like coaches and GMs', I don't want retreads to replace decent personnel. It's obvious that DM was at least capable. Well I don't know the new guy and will have an open mind about him, but so far he's no better than DM. If he turns out to be a steal then fine. If not, boy I'm gonna be really steamed. Not like I or anyone here can do anything about it. But this was not a cool way to go about things and not the way you replace a guy.

lol I can't even tell if you're serious

Is there even any evidence of what DM has done? who he has scouted? he could have been the one to scout Balmer and highly recommend him for all we know.

And how will we know if the new guy is a steal? When are our scouts ever written about/discussed or given any credit?

Seems like you're giving DM credit for our drafts without knowledge of what he actually did. And you're down on Patten because he comes from a crappy team without any knowledge of his contributions either.

Stop bringing up Balmer like he's the antichrist, for cryin out loud peeps. The guy hasn't been able to crack the starting Lineup because of who we have Starting. Not because he can't play. Of the handful of plays that I got to see him on the field, he's not great but he doesn't suck either. He's a BACKUP for cryin out loud.

I'm down on Patten because at this point and time he comes from a crap background coupled with him being an unknown.

Yeah DM is kind of an enigma as well but I think our roster speaks for itself. We have DEPTH and we haven't had that in ages, prior to Brothers McCloughan.

I'm not being close minded, at this point Patten = McCloughan BECAUSE we don't know exactly what impact DM had with which players. But knowing our roster and the Rams roster as well as the Skins roster Patten does not look like an upgrade.

Essentially I'm comparing an apple to an apple. As far as knowing if a guy is a steal or not? That's easy. If we get solid play makers Rounds 1-4? Steal. If we get less than what we've gotten the last 3 drafts? Bum.

~Ceadder

He scouted for ONE SEASON with the Rams. It's not like he's been there for several years. In regard to Redskins.....Daniel Snyder..........

Excuses, excuses.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well this should be an indication that Baalke WILL be the next GM.

Agreed, they shut the door on "Baalke"s old job. He ain't going back.

[ Edited by highway49 on May 8, 2010 at 08:10:14 ]
Classic WZ overreaction.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Cool
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Like coaches and GMs', I don't want retreads to replace decent personnel. It's obvious that DM was at least capable. Well I don't know the new guy and will have an open mind about him, but so far he's no better than DM. If he turns out to be a steal then fine. If not, boy I'm gonna be really steamed. Not like I or anyone here can do anything about it. But this was not a cool way to go about things and not the way you replace a guy.

Is there even any evidence of what DM has done? who he has scouted? he could have been the one to scout Balmer and highly recommend him for all we know.

And how will we know if the new guy is a steal? When are our scouts ever written about/discussed or given any credit?

Seems like you're giving DM credit for our drafts without knowledge of what he actually did. And you're down on Patten because he comes from a crappy team without any knowledge of his contributions either.

Stop bringing up Balmer like he's the antichrist, for cryin out loud peeps. The guy hasn't been able to crack the starting Lineup because of who we have Starting. Not because he can't play. Of the handful of plays that I got to see him on the field, he's not great but he doesn't suck either. He's a BACKUP for cryin out loud.

I'm down on Patten because at this point and time he comes from a crap background coupled with him being an unknown.

Yeah DM is kind of an enigma as well but I think our roster speaks for itself. We have DEPTH and we haven't had that in ages, prior to Brothers McCloughan.

I'm not being close minded, at this point Patten = McCloughan BECAUSE we don't know exactly what impact DM had with which players. But knowing our roster and the Rams roster as well as the Skins roster Patten does not look like an upgrade.

Essentially I'm comparing an apple to an apple. As far as knowing if a guy is a steal or not? That's easy. If we get solid play makers Rounds 1-4? Steal. If we get less than what we've gotten the last 3 drafts? Bum.

~Ceadder

He scouted for ONE SEASON with the Rams. It's not like he's been there for several years. In regard to Redskins.....Daniel Snyder..........

Excuses, excuses.

~Ceadder

Too many people in NT are EMO
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GEEK:

~Ceadder

Excuses, excuses.

~Ceadder

Yes they are.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

~Ceadder

Excuses, excuses.

~Ceadder

• BIG47BULL
  • Info N/A
Bottom line is that the Niners needed to move -n- shake in the front office.. Thats obviously taken place the past few months.. Now there can be no personnel finger pointing at whos likes/ wants whom... Its now time to look towards free agency and pick up 1 or 2 pieces adn go take the NFC West
Originally posted by jrg:
Yeah, since the Rams have had such great draft picks.

wtf is up with this hire??? they only have a couple picks still on their team from the past couple drafts. theyre scouting department is AWFUL.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Just admit that you dont know who the hell this guy is or what impact the move'll have. You can't determine whether this is a good or bad move. None of us can, or ever will. All you can say is, "boo, he scouted for a crappy team." Just because someone scouts for the Patriots or Colts or Vikings or whatever doesn't mean they're good, and just because someone scouts for the Rams or Browns or whatev doesn't make'em bad. He's not becoming the GM or anything. In fact, in a month, most won't even remember what his name is.

None of you should care about this move because it's a support role that can never be judged by us. We'll never know what he contributes or really have any criteria to judge him by. The only positive or negative that can be attributed is whether our guys want him or not. If they like'im better, I like him better and I'll probably never know whether he's awesome or is terrible.

WTF?!!!

I do believe I answered that. I stated how I look at the move. I'm using his F'N job history.

If you go to interview with a company and they can't verify what you did in your job, I'm sure they do TWO things. They look at WHERE you worked(in this case Patten worked for the Rams and the Skins) and what those companies success rate is regarding your position.

In both instances the results don't come off favorable. Now please show me any other way of looking at it and I'll be more than happy to consider it. If you can't then why don't YOU stop. I said we won't know. So if you are done busting my chops...

~Ceadder

I hired people for many years in my previous job. And what I found to be unfailingly true was this: my evaluation of someone I'd actually worked with before was infinitely better than my intuition and the recommendations of other employers. Only if I had a very close relationship with someone doing the recommending did I trust that that recommendation would give me ANY realistic expectation of how that potential employee would work out.

And so, the fact that Baalke has personal experience working with the new guy (and had personal experience working with McCloughan) gives me more confidence in this hire than anything we know from the outside about the success or failure of his previous employers!
Prove something.
Share 49ersWebzone