There are 227 users in the forums

Rams scout hired to replace David McCloughan as head of college scouting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
well, to be fair, the rams do have some decent players till they gutted the team.

And loving the open-mindedness of the zone.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by jrg:
Yeah, since the Rams have had such great draft picks.

If this is the sarcasm that I'm reading into it, 2nded.

We canned McCloughan for this guy?

One of the Patriot's scouts.

Or the Colts.

Or hell even Dallas, Philly and the Giants.

But the fokking Rams?!!!

Don't care what his resume says. It's that FRIGGIN RAMS.They been in last place how long now? What an upgrade.

~Ceadder

He was a scout, it's not like he was the one making the draft picks for the Redskins and Rams.

This. I'm not worried.

Or the Colts.

But the fokking Rams?!!!

Don't care what his resume says. It's that FRIGGIN RAMS.They been in last place how long now? What an upgrade.

~Ceadder

He was a scout, it's not like he was the one making the draft picks for the Redskins and Rams.

I know he was a scout and isn't the one with his finger on the trigger.

That's not the point.

The point is that if we had gone after say a scout from the Lions, the Zone would be frothing at the mouth over it.

There is a case to be made in both arguments though.

Positive: We took one of their scouts. Sticking it to the enemy is always good.

Negative: We took one of their scouts and they are in last place and have been for awhile now.

At best he's the equivalent of DM.

If I just up and replace a guy out of the blue like we did DM, then I want someone BETTER than him. Someone from a SUCCESSFUL team that has a proven track record.

It's the very same thing with any personnel slot with an organization.

I'm aware that he's a scout but that's an important position on any sports franchise with a draft. He may be decent but I would not have made that move.

~Ceadder
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Or the Colts.

But the fokking Rams?!!!

~Ceadder

That's not the point.

The point is that if we had gone after say a scout from the Lions, the Zone would be frothing at the mouth over it.

Negative: We took one of their scouts and they are in last place and have been for awhile now.

If I just up and replace a guy out of the blue like we did DM, then I want someone BETTER than him. Someone from a SUCCESSFUL team that has a proven track record.

I'm aware that he's a scout but that's an important position on any sports franchise with a draft. He may be decent but I would not have made that move.

~Ceadder

Until we have more information about the guy, it's best to hold judgment until we learn more about his background.

The fact is that he has a previous rapport with Baalke - and that's an important aspect of this hire.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
stints with the Redskins and Rams? that does not inspire confidence, but whatever.

My feelings exactly.

x 3.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Or the Colts.

But the fokking Rams?!!!

~Ceadder

That's not the point.

~Ceadder

Until we have more information about the guy, it's best to hold judgment until we learn more about his background.

The fact is that he has a previous rapport with Baalke - and that's an important aspect of this hire.

This is what I see, soon as Scottie was let go, Dave McCloughan was on borrowed time. Nevermind that he was one of our scouts that helped us get the current crop of draftees and undrafted players. I figured that was going to happen.

I don't care about rapport. You can have the best rapport with the guys relying on you, it doesn't mean that you're qualified to recommend a Pee Wee to a local league team. But you could have average rapport and still be able to do the job.

Like coaches and GMs', I don't want retreads to replace decent personnel. It's obvious that DM was at least capable. Well I don't know the new guy and will have an open mind about him, but so far he's no better than DM. If he turns out to be a steal then fine. If not, boy I'm gonna be really steamed. Not like I or anyone here can do anything about it. But this was not a cool way to go about things and not the way you replace a guy.

~Ceadder
When you hear that he's from the Rams, of course you're going to cringe at first. I don't blame anyone for doing that.

But, you have to remember that he's the scout. As stated before, he's not the one to pull the trigger on the draft picks, nor is he the one that is making the decisions on draft day.

One other thing that people are forgetting as well is that he isn't even a coach! You can draft top dogs all you want, but if you can't coach them up, they won't last in the NFL.

I'll wait to see how he works out for us.
Quote:
Like coaches and GMs', I don't want retreads to replace decent personnel. It's obvious that DM was at least capable. Well I don't know the new guy and will have an open mind about him, but so far he's no better than DM. If he turns out to be a steal then fine. If not, boy I'm gonna be really steamed. Not like I or anyone here can do anything about it. But this was not a cool way to go about things and not the way you replace a guy.

lol I can't even tell if you're serious

Is there even any evidence of what DM has done? who he has scouted? he could have been the one to scout Balmer and highly recommend him for all we know.

And how will we know if the new guy is a steal? When are our scouts ever written about/discussed or given any credit?

Seems like you're giving DM credit for our drafts without knowledge of what he actually did. And you're down on Patten because he comes from a crappy team without any knowledge of his contributions either.
  • cools
  • Veteran
you guys gettin all worked up over a scout that you dont even know cracks me up,
Originally posted by cools:
you guys gettin all worked up over a scout that you dont even know cracks me up,

It's NinerTalk. That's what happens here!

Originally posted by teeohh:

Is there even any evidence of what DM has done? who he has scouted? he could have been the one to scout Balmer and highly recommend him for all we know.

And how will we know if the new guy is a steal? When are our scouts ever written about/discussed or given any credit?

Seems like you're giving DM credit for our drafts without knowledge of what he actually did. And you're down on Patten because he comes from a crappy team without any knowledge of his contributions either.

Stop bringing up Balmer like he's the antichrist, for cryin out loud peeps. The guy hasn't been able to crack the starting Lineup because of who we have Starting. Not because he can't play. Of the handful of plays that I got to see him on the field, he's not great but he doesn't suck either. He's a BACKUP for cryin out loud.

I'm down on Patten because at this point and time he comes from a crap background coupled with him being an unknown.

Yeah DM is kind of an enigma as well but I think our roster speaks for itself. We have DEPTH and we haven't had that in ages, prior to Brothers McCloughan.

I'm not being close minded, at this point Patten = McCloughan BECAUSE we don't know exactly what impact DM had with which players. But knowing our roster and the Rams roster as well as the Skins roster Patten does not look like an upgrade.

Essentially I'm comparing an apple to an apple. As far as knowing if a guy is a steal or not? That's easy. If we get solid play makers Rounds 1-4? Steal. If we get less than what we've gotten the last 3 drafts? Bum.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 8, 2010 at 02:02:45 ]
Just admit that you dont know who the hell this guy is or what impact the move'll have. You can't determine whether this is a good or bad move. None of us can, or ever will. All you can say is, "boo, he scouted for a crappy team." Just because someone scouts for the Patriots or Colts or Vikings or whatever doesn't mean they're good, and just because someone scouts for the Rams or Browns or whatev doesn't make'em bad. He's not becoming the GM or anything. In fact, in a month, most won't even remember what his name is.

None of you should care about this move because it's a support role that can never be judged by us. We'll never know what he contributes or really have any criteria to judge him by. The only positive or negative that can be attributed is whether our guys want him or not. If they like'im better, I like him better and I'll probably never know whether he's awesome or is terrible.

[ Edited by mug0mug on May 8, 2010 at 02:53:37 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
maiocco said on twitter we have "wanted him for a while"

What exactly did he say?
Originally posted by teeohh:

Stop bringing up Balmer like he's the antichrist, for cryin out loud peeps. The guy hasn't been able to crack the starting Lineup because of who we have Starting. Not because he can't play. Of the handful of plays that I got to see him on the field, he's not great but he doesn't suck either. He's a BACKUP for cryin out loud.

I'm down on Patten because at this point and time he comes from a crap background coupled with him being an unknown.

Yeah DM is kind of an enigma as well but I think our roster speaks for itself. We have DEPTH and we haven't had that in ages, prior to Brothers McCloughan.

I'm not being close minded, at this point Patten = McCloughan BECAUSE we don't know exactly what impact DM had with which players. But knowing our roster and the Rams roster as well as the Skins roster Patten does not look like an upgrade.

Essentially I'm comparing an apple to an apple. As far as knowing if a guy is a steal or not? That's easy. If we get solid play makers Rounds 1-4? Steal. If we get less than what we've gotten the last 3 drafts? Bum.

~Ceadder

He scouted for ONE SEASON with the Rams. It's not like he's been there for several years. In regard to Redskins.....Daniel Snyder..........
Share 49ersWebzone