LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Vernon Davis could be a FA after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I understand that Davis is good, but I think the 49ers are smart to let the market determine Davis' value if he's looking for a ridiculous pay-day. The best TE in the league doesn't get paid anywhere near the best WR in the league. Unless you consider Davis a WR, then it changes things a bit. The fact that Goldson is looking for a huge contract after playing his FIRST 16-game season is absurd to me.

True. If Goldson wants a huge payday f**k that, I want to take care of Davis first then see how Goldson plays out this season. If he fixes his coverage skills then sure pay him if we can still take care of Davis.

Haha it feels pretty good that we have to worry about this because we have some great players, unlike the past few years
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I understand that Davis is good, but I think the 49ers are smart to let the market determine Davis' value if he's looking for a ridiculous pay-day. The best TE in the league doesn't get paid anywhere near the best WR in the league. Unless you consider Davis a WR, then it changes things a bit. The fact that Goldson is looking for a huge contract after playing his FIRST 16-game season is absurd to me.

Isn't Davis already the highest paid tight end in the league?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
With all the young stars we have on offense its gonna be hard keeping them all. It would be nice if they show loyalty and stayed with the organization, but if they feel they feel they can get more somewhere else, they'll move on. That's just how the business goes in the NFL. Unfortunately there's a price to pay when you draft right, one things for sure, your gonna end up paying big bucks to players one way or the other.
  • Pintor73
  • Info N/A
vernon is not going anywhere he will be a forty niner as will goldson, vernon is the man on offense as is gore we have our oline wrapped up for the next 5 yrs at least alex has been paid in advance if he does'nt want to accept a reasonable offer nate davis era will begin build our defense up every good defense has a playmaking safety, reed baltimore, palumalu pitts, look what dawkins did for denver, look at the colts defense when sanders is out, goldson is young and next to mays they can become one of the best safety tandems and most feared. vernon will have another great season especially with ginn and that extra oline help. davis has turned his act around for the better he was the offensive mvp easily so let's wrap him up
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its all about winning. If VD has a big year and the Niners win then pay the man a good contract. If VD has a big year and the niners still lose then they have to think about spending that money on other areas.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
With all the young stars we have on offense its gonna be hard keeping them all. It would be nice if they show loyalty and stayed with the organization, but if they feel they feel they can get more somewhere else, they'll move on. That's just how the business goes in the NFL. Unfortunately there's a price to pay when you draft right, one things for sure, your gonna end up paying big bucks to players one way or the other.

what young stars? we have Gore, Davis, and Crabtree--that's it.

I am fine with keeping only Vernon and letting Gore go 2 years from now. Runningbacks are super easy to find.
no
Won't Happen. Tim Kawasaki is a joke.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

I am fine with keeping only Vernon and letting Gore go 2 years from now. Runningbacks are super easy to find.

You don't consider them young stars??

Gore
Vernon
Crabtree

Who knows what is to become of Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati. Shoot Josh Morgan and Alex Smith are also capable of breaking out, and could command a multi million dollar contract.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I never trust Timmy K. Dude writes just to incite his readers.

All speculation at this point anyway.

Seriously, this is the same guy who said we were going to draft Jimmy Clausen at #13.

• Pintor73
  • Info N/A
people we can let go of clements we beat arizona without him, michael lewis replaced by mays, spikes replaced by navorrow, balmer better come through this year or he's gone we also have mcdonald to re-sign or get rid of, snyder can be replaced by a rookie next year keep sapo or franklin we just need one of them i'll be surprised if michael robinson makes the team lets play out this year and see how far we get there is alot of players that want to come and play for coach sing and the 49ers
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

You don't consider them young stars??

Gore
Vernon
Crabtree

Who knows what is to become of Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati. Shoot Josh Morgan and Alex Smith are also capable of breaking out, and could command a multi million dollar contract.
Gore is signed until 2012, and by that time, he won't have that much left anyway. We just have to worry about Vernon, because he can do it all for us. Finding another beast like him is much harder than looking for another Gore.

[ Edited by TeambyTheBay on May 6, 2010 at 17:45:24 ]
i would like to see the guy produce more than one season before getting an extension he should be hungry for a contract year
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I never trust Timmy K. Dude writes just to incite his readers.

All speculation at this point anyway.

Bingo!

I think that Parage is working with everyone that they feel should be on this team. Willis was not the only contract that he was working on.

I mean SERIOUSLY show me a season when he didn't get multiple deals done?

Kawakami is just trying to work up interest for his column. He doesn't eat or pay bills if nobody reads his cage lining.

~Ceadder
I highly doubt the 49ers just let him walk after this season.
Share 49ersWebzone