There are 227 users in the forums

Vernon Davis could be a FA after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did anyone else see this? Tim Kawakami's twitter status http://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/13445975814

I mean I know it's Tim K, but what do you guys think about this? There's no way they let VD go, Singletary loves him and truth be told, I don't think we've even seen the best of Vernon Davis yet.
If this happens, I will quit this team--real talk. Vernon Davis is the one dude that deserves a new contract. He has worked and blocked his ass off for us.

I've always been supportive of him, because I saw the potential in him when he was out there just blocking.
I never trust Timmy K. Dude writes just to incite his readers.

All speculation at this point anyway.
Yeah i heard Adam Sheff talkin bout it on NFL prime time the other night. saying how it depends on Smith's play or signing a new qb will be costly.

I wouldn't put anything into it. Davis has showed what he can do & he is a force it would be the dumbest thing to let a young stud like him walk.

Can't see it happening. But this is a business & 1 player doesn't win you a super bowl, but nep not going to happen
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
If this happens, I will quit this team--real talk. Vernon Davis is the one dude that deserves a new contract. He has worked and blocked his ass off for us.

I've always been supportive of him, because I saw the potential in him when he was out there just blocking.

Relax. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Niners will re-sign VD.
franchise tag in a worst case scenario
Haha never trust Tim K..no way we let him walk
Vernon will never leave Sing
Originally posted by ads_2006:

will there be a tag if the union doesn't reach an agreement?

@VernonDavis85 thanks homie. Let's get u done now. Be smart homie

Listen to Willis
Both good points above...

• VD loves Sing.
• Timmy K. is a terrible "writer."

Originally posted by ads_2006:

That makes the most sense. I don't see them franchising Franklin again, even if they don't agree to a long term deal this year and no other FA will be worthy of that kind of $$$ after the 2010 season.
Quote:
TE Vernon Davis. Think of Davis in opposite terms to Smith. Davis not only is one of the best players on the team, he is arguably the NFL's best at his position. But that position - rightly or not - is not valued as highly as others. Just look at the franchise-tag figures (the average of the top five highest-paid players at each position) for 2010. The franchise figure for tight ends is $5.9 million. Only kickers and punters have a lower number. Of course, you can look at that two ways. First, given the relative salaries of tight ends, you might expect the 49ers will be able to lock in Davis at a reasonable rate. But if Davis and his agent are asking for Willis-like numbers, it might prompt the 49ers to let him walk.

With the threat of a work stoppage in 2011, the 49ers could not afford to extend both Willis and Davis this year. It was one or the other, and the team went with Willis. (It's hard to argue against that move.) That does not mean that both can't be on the 49ers roster moving forward. Then again, the closer Davis gets to unrestricted free agency, the more difficult he will be to sign. The 49ers might have to end up letting the market decide his worth. Who knows - it could be that no team values a tight end that can run and pass block like Davis as much as the 49ers.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/05/decisions-decis.html#ixzz0nCDSPK2A

per Barrows
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Wouldn't VD be a RFA with the current labor status?
I know we spent a lot on Willis but how is our "cap" looking? Where is AB....Jason need your help!!!!!
Clements is expandable after this year--we could use that money to pay VD.
Share 49ersWebzone