There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do We Have ANY "Clutch" Players on the 49ers

Justin Smith was the first name that came to mind, with P. Willis just behind.

Sad to say that I can think of no offensive players at this point. There were way too many times that Gore couldn't pick up a yard or two to pick up a first down (balme it on the line if you'd like, but a "clutch" player has no excuses)

Having said that, I think (hope) that my opinion will change this season. and a few people (Crabtree, VD, Gholdson) will be added to the list.
The 49ers have several clutch players frank gore is very good when game is online when he runs for over 100 yrds we win alot of those games. Patrick Willis is great when game is online he makes plays the int vs sea he ran back 86 yrds for td on the road comes to mind.Vernon davis is clutch in the game vs the texans he had 3tds in second half come back vs texans against vikings he scored what should have been the game winning touchdown b4 brett farve late game td beat us with 12 seconds left on clock to truly be clutch ala joe montana or steve young alex smith will have to become clutch for us to be playoff or championship team

[ Edited by 49ersswagger on May 7, 2010 at 07:27:23 ]
So far on offense we sure don't have anybody, Shaun Hill was pretty clutch, that's about it lol. On defense Justin Smith and Willis...
WILLIS......VD
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Andy Lee is clutch
Gore is pretty clutch if you ask me back who am I he always puts us in position to win bbut sometimes the other dont finish
gotta make it to the playoffs to be clutch
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Andy Lee is clutch

That's pretty much it. Willis is clutch, the rest of the squad is learning what that means in the NFL.
don't think we have any now. just do to the fact we are a fairly young team, there is potential but haven't seen it yet.
Sorry but to say that Vern didn't play clutch last season is in injustice. It was his 3 TD's that put us back into the Houston game. Yeah i agree he had some key drops. Boy did he. but the Good overshadowed the bad for him. He was the reason for all the Double teams. Sorry it is not his fault the rest of the receivers could not do anything until Crabs decided to join the team.
The minny game 7 catches 96 yds and 2 TD in MINNY. Hre did everything even scored the Go Ahead TD with 4 mins left. That is clutch! So my friends we did have 1 on O. Vern played every down as if it was his last. He didnt take off plays and didnt wear down.
Hell even the Mia Game in 08 Shut down Porter for every play except 1.
Andy Lee is clutch

Sadly (shakes head)
The lack of clutch players occasionally hurts during the regular season but come playoff time, its a killer. Joe, Ronnie, Jerry, Charles, Roger and many others made plays when we needed them back then, aside from Willis the cupboard's pretty bare on this team.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Sorry but to say that Vern didn't play clutch last season is in injustice. It was his 3 TD's that put us back into the Houston game. Yeah i agree he had some key drops. Boy did he. but the Good overshadowed the bad for him. He was the reason for all the Double teams. Sorry it is not his fault the rest of the receivers could not do anything until Crabs decided to join the team.
The minny game 7 catches 96 yds and 2 TD in MINNY. Hre did everything even scored the Go Ahead TD with 4 mins left. That is clutch! So my friends we did have 1 on O. Vern played every down as if it was his last. He didnt take off plays and didnt wear down.
Hell even the Mia Game in 08 Shut down Porter for every play except 1.

his name isnt vern, u make him sound like a fat italian

[ Edited by crabman82 on May 7, 2010 at 22:52:22 ]
clutch is too hard to define in football. it's not like hockey where most of the players get a chance to touch the puck and can make big plays. i think "clutch" can be restricted to just the qb and the wr position, but even then mostly just the qb. you can be the clutchest MLB in the world (oh wait we do have that guy) and the play to win the game just happens to go to the other side of the field...whatcha gonna do?
Anybody saying Willis is fooling themselves. The man-love for our best player is pathetic. He's a great player, but he hasn't even been put in any real clutch situations so there's no way you can know if he's clutch or not. To say he is would be ridiculous.

The truth is we have no proven clutch players. The offense has only had a chance to be clutch a few times over the past few seasons and has failed to get the job done.