LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

What do we do about Frank's contract?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do we do about Frank's contract?

Was just reading Sando's blog on espn.com and he had a list of pro bowlers who's contracts are coming up soon and Frank was on the list. His expires after 2011 season. Got me thinking...will he last much longer? I don't really think of him as being run down. I assumed our problems are line problems and most likely gone now. We all know RB's don't last much longer than 30 years old and in 2011 Gore will be 29. I say if his production rises this year its worth extending his contract 3 years or so.
Nothing. Wait and see what our big rookie can do if he loses weight and gets down to 215 or 220. Hopefully, our line is strong enough to make an average back look like a probowler, which will give us time to find another game breaker.

NEVER franchise a RB because they come easy.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Let's see what Frank can do behind this O-line this season....

If he just goes bonkers, We extend him through 2012.
nothing
Originally posted by Joecool:
Nothing. Wait and see what our big rookie can do if he loses weight and gets down to 215 or 220. Hopefully, our line is strong enough to make an average back look like a probowler, which will give us time to find another game breaker.

so if gore runs for 1400+ yds in 2011 you let him walk?

[ Edited by brucesf49 on May 6, 2010 at 01:24:01 ]
Leave it the same as it is. He's taken an enormous pounding and he's getting older now. In 2 - 3 years we need a replacement.

[ Edited by brucesf49 on May 6, 2010 at 13:35:38 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I thought the team extended Frank's contract a couple of years ago. They should wait and see how Coffee does in year two and if Dixon can be the future.

I love Frank Gore, but rb's donot have long carears. He gets hurt and misses 1 to 4 games a yr
I'd give Frank a 2-year extension, but knowing the position Frank will be in, he'll either opt out and demand a trade to a Superbowl-ensured team, or demand a 4-5 year contract with a heavy base salary/guaranteed money.

Frank has been on the decline since the end of 2008, and due to the team's horrible mis-management/lack-of offensive talent/parity (not putting him in a 2 RB-set early into his career), Frank probably has about one or two 'productive' years left in him before he follows that 'veteran depth' player role almost every RB follows in.

Originally posted by brucesf49:

If it goes that far (and Frank has that much luck), we sign him to a 1st round tender and see what happens from that point on.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on May 6, 2010 at 02:10:49 ]

Extend him before he blows up behind our revamped OL.
lol he wont even turn 27 for another week. he has at least 3 prime years left.
It's difficult to tell. I think it's PERFECT if Coffee and Dixon get a substantial amount of (PRODUCTIVE) carries in the next two seasons. If so, that'll not only prolong Gore's career, but also limit Gore's production. I'm not saying I don't want our team to have a 1600+ yard rusher. I'm only saying I'd rather have that same production from multiple backs. Keeps everyone healthy.

If that situation happened, Gore couldn't demand such a huge contract and we'd be able to sign him for a cheaper contract. And if Coffee and Dixon are able to contribute a good chunk, it means we're not so reliant on Frank Gore for our offense.

If Gore is the bell-cow this year and has a 1600+ yard year, that's awesome!... But in the long-run, who knows how long he can keep up that pace?.. In the end, you can't hold back though if the playoffs, and effectually, the Super Bowl is in your sights. How pissed would we be if we said, "Oh! It's crunch-time for a Wild Card or Divisional Playoff spot. I think we should forego our best chance of winning by not running Gore because I want to save him for an uncertain 2013." That's just a silly idea. Take a wait and see approach and see how dependent we are on Gore.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Let him play out the next two seasons and if he looks good extend him for a year, but that's it. RB's lose their value once they hit 30. We got Dixon now and he should fit in nicely as our feature back.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I'd give Frank a 2-year extension, but knowing the position Frank will be in, he'll either opt out and demand a trade to a Superbowl-ensured team, or demand a 4-5 year contract with a heavy base salary/guaranteed money.

Frank has been on the decline since the end of 2008, and due to the team's horrible mis-management/lack-of offensive talent/parity (not putting him in a 2 RB-set early into his career), Frank probably has about one or two 'productive' years left in him before he follows that 'veteran depth' player role almost every RB follows in.

Originally posted by brucesf49:

If it goes that far (and Frank has that much luck), we sign him to a 1st round tender and see what happens from that point on.

How has Gore been on the decline? He just played in the pro bowl and joined barry sanders as the only player with two 75 plus runs in one game....
Share 49ersWebzone