LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

Manny Lawson skips OTAs in hopes of more money

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by 5280High:
People are assuming he is holding out for some monster contract...which isn't true. Him and his agent have to understand he is a two down linebacker but they probably also understand he is vastly underpaid at $650k this year. Just sign him to a two year extension for like $1-2m per year.

All this trade talk is retarded, he is a starter and should be paid accordingly. He is getting paid backup money right now, just pay him the same as a middle of the pack LB and be done with it.

According to Maiocco the Niners tried to trade Lawson on draft day for a 2nd rd pick but no teams were interested.

I could see a 4-3 team giving us a fifth but not a 2nd. No way. Good for the Niners for trying to trade his ass. Get ready for Brooks starting and LaBoy taking more snaps! Let's call it a hunch...

Also:

From dan
If Manny Lawson doesn't show up for mandatory functions what happens to him financially?

Matt Maiocco
He would be subject to fine ... and he would get much deeper into the head coach's doghouse.

Is this assuming he is already in the dog house? Like I said before, this strategy may end up working against him b/c Singletary is already pulling for Brooks and we also have a former starter in LaBoy. Long and Briggs may add something as well.

i dont think he is in the doghouse, he just isnt being given the starting job and will have to battle 2 players who make more than him this year.....we havent had this scenario for a while but as this team gets deeper and better we are gonna have some guys go, its kinda the only bad side to this whole competition at every position thing

You may be right but I can't see Singletary or Manusky being too thrilled about a starting OLB staying out of OTA's esp. when the OTA's were all about demonstrating to the rookies what will be expected of them esp. re: being there, working hard, chemistry, tempo, committment, etc. I think MM may be alluding to the fact that the coaching staff is not happy with Manny and I get the hunch it will only get worse esp. as contracts get resolved with other players who have not only proven to demonstrate a strong committment to the team but have worked very hard and produced on the field. Obvioulsy with Brooks and LaBoy and now Briggs and Long and a 100% healthy Haralson and a penny-pinching owner (to a degree), Manny is not seen as a top signing priority.

You're right that this is a blessing and a curse. It means guys such as Manny won't be handed the job anymore and will have to compete to earn it and produce to keep it. The down side of it means we may losing some good players too.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
can't believe this discussion has gone 17 pages
Originally posted by Hopper:

Im not, Kory Sheets had a 30 page thread at one point
Originally posted by valrod33:

that pretty much sums up the type of player manny is. fans divided almost evenly on both sides. he's an average player, middle of the road, nice and solid but nothing special. he'll be replaced this year. . . . . . . .save the money for difference makers
I hope Manny Lawson reads this thread. F**k Manny Lawson!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Yeah but Kory Sheets pwns noobs

The future HOF'r Kory Sheets?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Isn't OTAs optional?

Players like Clements and Spencer are skipping as well. As long as Lawson fulfills his obligations to the mandatory camps, all is well.
Share 49ersWebzone