There are 226 users in the forums

People who are not sold on Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Some of you fools who are completely sold are the same fools that was riding Shaun Hill's nuts after a few games. Seriously, I've learned to REALLY CAREFUL with this team and coaching staff. Say what you want, but I am not sold on Singletary yet--especially with his puppet Raye calling the plays for him...pathetic.

no more asian girls for you

I've been posting hotter chicks than you anyway
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Some of you fools who are completely sold are the same fools that was riding Shaun Hill's nuts after a few games. Seriously, I've learned to REALLY CAREFUL with this team and coaching staff. Say what you want, but I am not sold on Singletary yet--especially with his puppet Raye calling the plays for him...pathetic.

no more asian girls for you

I've been posting hotter chicks than you anyway

yea from when I was in high school or that everybody's already seen

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on May 5, 2010 at 16:03:32 ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by ninertico:

So there is nothing that Singletary has accomplished over the last two years? Nothing?

If you say no, then go on and let the blind hate eat you up. When we go to the playoffs this year, we don't even want to hear you were wrong.

Instead, just get out of here and become an Al Davis fan!

Don't let him get to you, Tico.

You and I know what Singletary's done, so far.

And I'm pleased to say, we'll both be there watching as the team continues to improve next season.

TeambytheBay will still be in his mom's basement, reading old newspaper clips and Sport Illustrated articles about the Niners of the 80's and claiming to be a "realistic" fan. LOL. His loss, not ours.

So just because I'm not sold on Singletary that makes me a bad fan? I didn't even watch 80s 49ers BTW and my favorite QB was Steve Young not Montana

First it was JTO, then Shaun Hill, then Kory Sheets--this boards is always sipping the Kool-Aid hard--sorry to not be in that club with ya'll.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Not sold? I guess not but . . .

Erickson: 9-23
Nolan: 18-37
Singletary: 13-12

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

This,

I just love his ability to motivate, BUT I just hate his understanding of X and Os!

Not Sold, but tempted to buy in!

What, exactly, do we know about his understanding of X's and O's?

Just based on his playing career, and his reputation as an undersized but intense and cerebral HOF MLB, I'd wager that he knows far more than the average fan, far more than you (and me) about X's and O's.

Seems like this particular criticism is based more on ignorance than fact.

How many times did his Bears play against the Niners back then? So he prepared, as the QB of the Bears defense, to play against Montana and the original WCO at its best.

Doesn't it seem likely that he studied that offense and knew it inside and out? He probably knows as much about the WCO and all its X's and O's as anybody.

Did you not see the Falcons game? It was one of the worst plan events since George Armstrong Custer said " Leave the gatling guns behind, we need to get to the little big horn fast!" Sing is a great motivator but if you think he is any kind of high IQ football guru....Sorry to disappoint you.

He's a lot of Mike Ditka, and no Bill Walsh!

Plenty of coaches have won on inspiration alone, many have won on pure Xs and Os, but the very few who do both well are on a short list in Canton Ohio!

Lombardi, Walsh, Shula.... Singletarry? no not buying that!

Yes, I did suffer through the experience of watching the Atlanta game. What part of a knowledge of X's and O's translates into a cornerback being too slow to react to Roddy White and your FS taking a bad angle--leading to the touchdown that opened the floodgates on a very flat (after the Minnesota game and a week before the bye week) team? It wasn't the X's and O's, or the game plan, that lost that game. It was a failure to execute by the players--maybe Singletary's failure to properly motivate them--not X's and O's.

Face it, there's never gonna be another Bill Walsh. He was one of a kind and its unfair to any coach to compare them to Walsh.

Singletary's got his own strengths and weaknesses. Whether knowledge of X's and O's is one or the other, or somewhere in between, we really don't know.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could diagram the route tree, or explain all the blocking assignments of the TEs, or anything like that. Singletary, on the other hand, doubtlessly knows the playbook inside and out, and each player's assignment for every play. He may know the nuances and details for LB play better than he knows those things for the OL, but I'd wager he still knows all the player's assignments for every play--and isn't that what the "X's and O's" are really all about?

It's undoubtedly a second language for Singletary, one that he learned long ago and has been fluent in for along time. Your attempt to criticize him about it is like an American who doesn't speak French criticizing a Frenchman's accent--when he's never heard the Frenchman speak and wouldn't understand him if he did--just because he saw a French movie once, with subtitles.

Can you cite to one instance where Singletary's purported lack of knowledge of the X's and O's was revealed? Where he called for a draw when he meant to call for a dive play? When he thought it was going to be a sweep and it was a trap? Where he thought a double reverse was a bubble screen? Anything?

Allow me to paraphrase what you're saying: "That Singletary's a great motivator, but he doesn't really know football." Really?

NFL HOF MLB who played in ten pro bowls? Surprising, since, according to your position, he really didn't know what he was doing and doesn't understand the game.

Did they have other guys on the field with him during those pro bowls, pointing him in the right direction, telling him what to do? Guys that were really motivated to help him?

This particular criticism just doesn't seem very well founded, to me. Or else I am misunderstanding what you're trying to say. If so, I apologize, but I just don't see a valid basis in fact for your criticism, here.

You misunderstand, let me sum up, Mikes coaching style, like my comes from teaching basics and motivating his guys, his choice of offense is like mine, simple effective and brutal if executed well.

I understand my "Xs and Os" and I am sure Mike knows them better than I.

Your point about the corner that is to slow, makes my point well. A motivator, puts his trust and faith in his players, and they respond as best they can... even if they are to slow they keep chasing and never quit. A X and O coach finds a way to give help to his weaker players, by scheme, or even sitting and playing a back-up who matches up better.

Some coaches use motivation, some use X's and Os, it is not a good thing or a bad thing it is simply a thing.

The truly great coaches coaches who transcend the game do both well, I don't buy that Sing is a great coach, one who does it all. I don't put him in the same category as a Bill Walsh or even a Bill Parcels. That doesn't mean he can't bring in X and O type co-ordinators, to round out his style, it does not mean he can't learn to lean on match-up and deception, it doesn't mean he will never be a great coach it just means he isn't there yet. So do I buy into him, no not yet, I'm I kick-en the tires on his band wagon you bet!

Go NINERS!

Okay, I think I follow you.

However, at some point, the players have to execute the plays. No amount of scheming, or "X's and O's," is going to make up for an inability to block, tackle, turn and run, execute the fundamentals.

You seem to be blaming Singletary for not always picking the right play at the right time for his team. Has it occurred to you that he does just that, but the team/players were unable to execute? Look at the Niners last drive against Minnesota. Third and short (less than a yard) with less than two minutes to go, up by three or so. Get a first down and run out the clock. What do you call?

The Niners called a dive and the Minn DT stood Heitmann up and stuffed it. How did it happen? Heitmann knew the snap count, had the jump on the DT, but hit him too high and was unable to move him back the six inches necessary. Poor scheme or poor execution? With a QB who couldn't throw more than 10 yards, and the LBs and DBs therefore crowding the LOS, a dive was the play most likely to succeed. The players just didn't execute.

Seems, to me, that Singletary has thought about X's and O's long enough and hard enough to recognize and understand that if a team is physical enough to run when it wants to, strong enough to gain that yard when its needed, that team is able to game plan much more effectively.

In other words, impose your will on the other team, and then you can dictate whether to pass or run. But it starts with winning the battle up front, physically. That's an intelligent approach to it, plain and simple.

So go ahead and kick the tires all you want. But be cautious with the "he doesn't know the X's and O's" BS, because as we both know, that's BS.

BTW, I agree, Singletary's got some distance to go before he could be considered a great coach. But if Singletary doesn't get there, it won't be because of some presupposed lack of knowledge of the game or of it's X's and O's.

And given the apparent intensity of the guy, his intellect and his obvious strength of character and leadership abilities, I wouldn't bet against him becoming a great coach, eventually.

Did I say that if I did I mis-spoke, I have been trying to say is ALL COACHES MOTIVATE ALL COACHES GAME PLAN SOME COACHES ARE BETTER GAME PLANERS SOME ARE BETTER MOTIVATORS, SING IS A BETTER MOTIVATOR THAN HE IS A GAME PLANNER!!!!!

FEW PEOPLE EVER BORN DO BOTH WELL!
IMO, Manusky is the real reason why we are that good on defense. Singletary is taking all the credit because he's a defensive HC but Manusky is the one coming up with all the game plans. Singletary's job is to motivate guys and watch over his son, Raye, and making sure that we are a "run first" kinda team.

Don't be surprise if we lost Manusky and went back to a mediocre defense after 2011.

[ Edited by TeambyTheBay on May 5, 2010 at 16:48:56 ]

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

This,

I just love his ability to motivate, BUT I just hate his understanding of X and Os!

Just based on his playing career, and his reputation as an undersized but intense and cerebral HOF MLB, I'd wager that he knows far more than the average fan, far more than you (and me) about X's and O's.

How many times did his Bears play against the Niners back then? So he prepared, as the QB of the Bears defense, to play against Montana and the original WCO at its best.

Doesn't it seem likely that he studied that offense and knew it inside and out? He probably knows as much about the WCO and all its X's and O's as anybody.

Did you not see the Falcons game? It was one of the worst plan events since George Armstrong Custer said " Leave the gatling guns behind, we need to get to the little big horn fast!" Sing is a great motivator but if you think he is any kind of high IQ football guru....Sorry to disappoint you.

Plenty of coaches have won on inspiration alone, many have won on pure Xs and Os, but the very few who do both well are on a short list in Canton Ohio!

Yes, I did suffer through the experience of watching the Atlanta game. What part of a knowledge of X's and O's translates into a cornerback being too slow to react to Roddy White and your FS taking a bad angle--leading to the touchdown that opened the floodgates on a very flat (after the Minnesota game and a week before the bye week) team? It wasn't the X's and O's, or the game plan, that lost that game. It was a failure to execute by the players--maybe Singletary's failure to properly motivate them--not X's and O's.

Face it, there's never gonna be another Bill Walsh. He was one of a kind and its unfair to any coach to compare them to Walsh.

Singletary's got his own strengths and weaknesses. Whether knowledge of X's and O's is one or the other, or somewhere in between, we really don't know.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could diagram the route tree, or explain all the blocking assignments of the TEs, or anything like that. Singletary, on the other hand, doubtlessly knows the playbook inside and out, and each player's assignment for every play. He may know the nuances and details for LB play better than he knows those things for the OL, but I'd wager he still knows all the player's assignments for every play--and isn't that what the "X's and O's" are really all about?

It's undoubtedly a second language for Singletary, one that he learned long ago and has been fluent in for along time. Your attempt to criticize him about it is like an American who doesn't speak French criticizing a Frenchman's accent--when he's never heard the Frenchman speak and wouldn't understand him if he did--just because he saw a French movie once, with subtitles.

Can you cite to one instance where Singletary's purported lack of knowledge of the X's and O's was revealed? Where he called for a draw when he meant to call for a dive play? When he thought it was going to be a sweep and it was a trap? Where he thought a double reverse was a bubble screen? Anything?

Allow me to paraphrase what you're saying: "That Singletary's a great motivator, but he doesn't really know football." Really?

NFL HOF MLB who played in ten pro bowls? Surprising, since, according to your position, he really didn't know what he was doing and doesn't understand the game.

Did they have other guys on the field with him during those pro bowls, pointing him in the right direction, telling him what to do? Guys that were really motivated to help him?

This particular criticism just doesn't seem very well founded, to me. Or else I am misunderstanding what you're trying to say. If so, I apologize, but I just don't see a valid basis in fact for your criticism, here.

You misunderstand, let me sum up, Mikes coaching style, like my comes from teaching basics and motivating his guys, his choice of offense is like mine, simple effective and brutal if executed well.

Your point about the corner that is to slow, makes my point well. A motivator, puts his trust and faith in his players, and they respond as best they can... even if they are to slow they keep chasing and never quit. A X and O coach finds a way to give help to his weaker players, by scheme, or even sitting and playing a back-up who matches up better.

Some coaches use motivation, some use X's and Os, it is not a good thing or a bad thing it is simply a thing.

The truly great coaches coaches who transcend the game do both well, I don't buy that Sing is a great coach, one who does it all. I don't put him in the same category as a Bill Walsh or even a Bill Parcels. That doesn't mean he can't bring in X and O type co-ordinators, to round out his style, it does not mean he can't learn to lean on match-up and deception, it doesn't mean he will never be a great coach it just means he isn't there yet. So do I buy into him, no not yet, I'm I kick-en the tires on his band wagon you bet!

Go NINERS!

However, at some point, the players have to execute the plays. No amount of scheming, or "X's and O's," is going to make up for an inability to block, tackle, turn and run, execute the fundamentals.

You seem to be blaming Singletary for not always picking the right play at the right time for his team. Has it occurred to you that he does just that, but the team/players were unable to execute? Look at the Niners last drive against Minnesota. Third and short (less than a yard) with less than two minutes to go, up by three or so. Get a first down and run out the clock. What do you call?

The Niners called a dive and the Minn DT stood Heitmann up and stuffed it. How did it happen? Heitmann knew the snap count, had the jump on the DT, but hit him too high and was unable to move him back the six inches necessary. Poor scheme or poor execution? With a QB who couldn't throw more than 10 yards, and the LBs and DBs therefore crowding the LOS, a dive was the play most likely to succeed. The players just didn't execute.

Seems, to me, that Singletary has thought about X's and O's long enough and hard enough to recognize and understand that if a team is physical enough to run when it wants to, strong enough to gain that yard when its needed, that team is able to game plan much more effectively.

In other words, impose your will on the other team, and then you can dictate whether to pass or run. But it starts with winning the battle up front, physically. That's an intelligent approach to it, plain and simple.

So go ahead and kick the tires all you want. But be cautious with the "he doesn't know the X's and O's" BS, because as we both know, that's BS.

BTW, I agree, Singletary's got some distance to go before he could be considered a great coach. But if Singletary doesn't get there, it won't be because of some presupposed lack of knowledge of the game or of it's X's and O's.

And given the apparent intensity of the guy, his intellect and his obvious strength of character and leadership abilities, I wouldn't bet against him becoming a great coach, eventually.

Did I say that if I did I mis-spoke, I have been trying to say is ALL COACHES MOTIVATE ALL COACHES GAME PLAN SOME COACHES ARE BETTER GAME PLANERS SOME ARE BETTER MOTIVATORS, SING IS A BETTER MOTIVATOR THAN HE IS A GAME PLANNER!!!!!

OKAY! NO NEED TO SHOUT!

My own coaching experience tells me that the two go hand in hand.

You lay awake at night planning and scheming about how to defense the other team's best player, how to score when necessary, whatever.

Then you figure out a way, and you share it with the team. If you really believe in it, they get motivated about it. If it works, its a great experience. If it doesn't, it can also be a great experience if the players try their best, but its more fun when it works.

On the pro level, there aren't any excuses, its just supposed to work, all the time, every time. Hence the heat Singletary's presently taking, even tho he's been HC less than two years.

But a little skepticism is healthy, especially this time of year, when optimism can get out of hand. IMHO. (Sorry, didn't mean to shout that last part.)
Originally posted by danimal:
Not Sold. Will be gone soon. Won't be replaced by anybody better. The new nobody will draft a new nobody to play QB, and the whole process will repeat itself.

spoken like another fan who doesnt kno anything
IMO, Manusky is the real reason why we are that good on defense. Singletary is taking all the credit because he's a defensive HC but Manusky is the one coming up with all the game plans. Singletary's job is to motivate guys and watch over his son, Raye, and making sure that we are a "run first" kinda team.

Don't be surprise if we lost Manusky and went back to a mediocre defense after 2011.

and yet 1 more fan who doesnt kno anything about niner football
I wouldn't trade him for anybody!

We should all consider ourselves lucky!

This,

Go NINERS!

OKAY! NO NEED TO SHOUT!

My own coaching experience tells me that the two go hand in hand.

You lay awake at night planning and scheming about how to defense the other team's best player, how to score when necessary, whatever.

Then you figure out a way, and you share it with the team. If you really believe in it, they get motivated about it. If it works, its a great experience. If it doesn't, it can also be a great experience if the players try their best, but its more fun when it works.

On the pro level, there aren't any excuses, its just supposed to work, all the time, every time. Hence the heat Singletary's presently taking, even tho he's been HC less than two years.

But a little skepticism is healthy, especially this time of year, when optimism can get out of hand. IMHO. (Sorry, didn't mean to shout that last part.)

Sorry to shout, but I get frustrated with this board at times, any amount of criticism or insight does not mean you "Hate" the team!

So there is nothing that Singletary has accomplished over the last two years? Nothing?

If you say no, then go on and let the blind hate eat you up. When we go to the playoffs this year, we don't even want to hear you were wrong.

And I'm pleased to say, we'll both be there watching as the team continues to improve next season.

TeambytheBay will still be in his mom's basement, reading old newspaper clips and Sport Illustrated articles about the Niners of the 80's and claiming to be a "realistic" fan. LOL. His loss, not ours.

So just because I'm not sold on Singletary that makes me a bad fan? I didn't even watch 80s 49ers BTW and my favorite QB was Steve Young not Montana

First it was JTO, then Shaun Hill, then Kory Sheets--this boards is always sipping the Kool-Aid hard--sorry to not be in that club with ya'll.

Who said you're a bad fan? You're just not an up to date fan. Wake up and smell the coffee. Things have changed, there's some new players and stuff.

The HC has made some changes, yo. Try to pay attention, instead of just going with your presuppositions (usually spelled "biases.")

An nobody's talking about JTO, Shaun Hill or Kory Sheets. How are any of those guys even relevant to this discussion? (Hint: They're not.)

We're not "sipping the Kool Aid," but we still may not want you in our club if you're not gonna pay closer attention to what's going on with the team, on the field. Valid criticisms are always read with interest.

However, all you do is rehash alot of simplistic BS: "Singletary's a bad game manager b/c he took a time out once (as if no other NFL coach has ever done that); Singletary hired Raye, an he's old, so he must be no good." Age discrimination at its finest. And like most such discrimination, its mindless and baseless.

So you're not sold on Singletary. So what. Who cares.

Just don't get your undies in a bunch at those of us who are paying attention, like what we've seen so far, and actually support the team.

And don't be so surprised when some of us point out the epic failiings of some of your posts. It doesn't mean we don't like you, it means we expect more from you than the pablum you've served up with your particular flavor of Kool Aid (the UnKool Aid?) so far.

So you're not sold on Singletary. So what. Who cares.

And don't be so surprised when some of us point out the epic failiings of some of your posts.

so, old man, you do care?

pretty ironic that you use that argument....being that Singletary had a hand in getting rid of all those guys.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on May 5, 2010 at 20:05:26 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by GOLDMOUTH22:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Singletary's biggest flaw is his belief that the NFL has not changed since he was a player. He had to, on multiple occasions, change his strategy last season because of this. Whether it be his offensive schemes, etc.

Is he a good motivator ? Yes. But I dont think he has what it takes to be a great NFL coach. He has an 8-8 team from last year, and he's decided that the same team will achieve much more just based on the notion that they have an extra offseason to wokr together. Well, that philosophy worked back in the 80s and early 90s because every other team was doing the same thing. In today's NFL, when coaches like Shanahan can turn a once dead franchise into legitimate contenders by a few key acquisitions through free agency, this old school philosophy will not work.

For all the "fans" that have their marbles in Smith's basket, imagine how low you will feel if he doesnt pan out. Our entire season rests on his shoulder.....if he stinks it up, another season is shot and we go back to the drawing board. Thats not a sign of a championship caliber team folks. Thats the sign of a team just hanging on by a thread and hoping their success stems from other teams mistakes (in our case, hoping the rest of the teams in our division suck)....

so based upon this and prolly your attitude on the team... we're not making the playoffs at all? am i wrong?

Our entire season rests on Smith's shoulder, as per front office. If he balks, 2010 will be an EPIC FAIL for this franchise. Now, considering that Smith has done nothing but failed his entire career (except for a handful of games), whats the likelihood that this team becomes a bonified contender this upcoming season ?
I would be willing to bet that you couldn't find 1 person who played for the bears in the 80's who doesn't respect Singletary and wouldn't look to him for what to do when the game was on the line. The bottom line is that he is a natural born leader and people just naturally want to follow him. That is a great quality and I would argue the most important when it comes to coaching a team. The x's and o's are important but first of all, Sing is not an idiot when it comes to x's and o's. Is he going to invent new schemes that will be used by every team in the league 10 years from now? Probably not but he knows football. Just ask yourself this, would you rather have Him, Martz, Turner, Spurrior, or Pitrino coaching this team? The latter people are widely considered to have more book smarts than Sing but I would rather have Sing as my coach hands down! Would I rather have Payton or Bellicheck? Maybe, but for every Payton and Bellichek there are 20 Mangini type smart people that aren't good coaches.

The question is, are we willing to trade a proven leader who is almost universally respected by everyone that knows him well for the chance at finding the next genius, mad scientist, (egg) head coach? I for one am not. The best case scenario would be to surround him with egg head coaches who can come up with plays and gameplans that are creative and fit within his vision and fit the talent we have on the team and at the same time allow him to grow in those areas in the process.
Share 49ersWebzone