LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

People who are not sold on Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
and still think that he could be replaced--let it be known who you are.

Two things that completely piss me off about Singletary are:

-his HORRIBLE in-game management, just terrible with the timing and execution

-his lack of knowledge for the proper game plan each week--i liked how we would go into the game running into a brick wall against a good run D and come out the second airing it desperado style --then against a team (Seahawks) that Gore completely destroyed, we came out tossing the ball over 50 times and ended up losing.

I am simply amazed that you are not employed by an NFL front office with such powerful analysis such as this.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Not sold? I guess not but . . .

Erickson: 9-23
Nolan: 18-37
Singletary: 13-12

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

This,

I just love his ability to motivate, BUT I just hate his understanding of X and Os!

Not Sold, but tempted to buy in!

this is my view as well..

-9fA
Let it be known that I like Coach Singletary as the Head Coach. He has the Niner's moving in the right direction and I'm excited and ready to see how far he is going to take them.

Some have mentioned his game planning and adjustments sucks, his clock management and use of time outs are ridiculous; all valid points that I can agree with. IMO his overall performance as HC has been outstanding.

He is a leader, a motivator, and he demands the best from his players. I believe his experience as HC will improve the mistakes he's made in the past. With the talent this team has gathered, he can't afford to be the reason for losing. He is accountable for his performance as HC, like everyone else on the team.

For those of you that don't like him, his staff, or his game management, don't worry. If the Niners continue to lose, he won't be around much longer..... Of course the fans will have to suffer through more losing seasons' but at least you'll get what you want; another HC.

I believe he will get it done.... I'm sold on Coach Sing!!! Go Niner's!!!
How can you hate on a guy after one year, yes his game management is questionable at times. But look at what he has done with the team, look at what he has done with Davis, the guy is headed in the right direction, and so is the team! Have faith, it could always be worse!
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
dude shut up its was his first year and he'd never even been a coordinator

look what he did with vernon
SOLD on Singletary. This team has an identity now, a real philosophy in place. Players know whats expected of them and know what there roles are on game day. X's and O's, thats what Manusky and Raye are for. I'd rather watch a Singletary coached team than a Nolan team anytime, the difference is night and day. We're becoming relevent again. starting to see the 49ers on the sport tickers, and getting some national recognition again. How many primetime games we get this year? Sing is our HC not our coordinator. And he is humble enough to learn from his mistakes. . . . . . . Eazzzy with fire Sing S#!t. just sit back and enjoy this teams return to the top.
Sing has as much job security as any coach in the NFL. It would take a disaster for him to lose his job this coming season. This is the best team that we have had since 2002, by far.
People who are not sold on Singletary should be banned
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

people who don't think that Sing is doing a good job need to read a mini book written at a 1st grade level, with large, bright illustrations explaining the basic concepts of football.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

This,

I just love his ability to motivate, BUT I just hate his understanding of X and Os!

What, exactly, do we know about his understanding of X's and O's?

Just based on his playing career, and his reputation as an undersized but intense and cerebral HOF MLB, I'd wager that he knows far more than the average fan, far more than you (and me) about X's and O's.

Seems like this particular criticism is based more on ignorance than fact.

How many times did his Bears play against the Niners back then? So he prepared, as the QB of the Bears defense, to play against Montana and the original WCO at its best.

Doesn't it seem likely that he studied that offense and knew it inside and out? He probably knows as much about the WCO and all its X's and O's as anybody.

Did you not see the Falcons game? It was one of the worst plan events since George Armstrong Custer said " Leave the gatling guns behind, we need to get to the little big horn fast!" Sing is a great motivator but if you think he is any kind of high IQ football guru....Sorry to disappoint you.

He's a lot of Mike Ditka, and no Bill Walsh!

Plenty of coaches have won on inspiration alone, many have won on pure Xs and Os, but the very few who do both well are on a short list in Canton Ohio!

Lombardi, Walsh, Shula.... Singletarry? no not buying that!

Yes, I did suffer through the experience of watching the Atlanta game. What part of a knowledge of X's and O's translates into a cornerback being too slow to react to Roddy White and your FS taking a bad angle--leading to the touchdown that opened the floodgates on a very flat (after the Minnesota game and a week before the bye week) team? It wasn't the X's and O's, or the game plan, that lost that game. It was a failure to execute by the players--maybe Singletary's failure to properly motivate them--not X's and O's.

Face it, there's never gonna be another Bill Walsh. He was one of a kind and its unfair to any coach to compare them to Walsh.

Singletary's got his own strengths and weaknesses. Whether knowledge of X's and O's is one or the other, or somewhere in between, we really don't know.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could diagram the route tree, or explain all the blocking assignments of the TEs, or anything like that. Singletary, on the other hand, doubtlessly knows the playbook inside and out, and each player's assignment for every play. He may know the nuances and details for LB play better than he knows those things for the OL, but I'd wager he still knows all the player's assignments for every play--and isn't that what the "X's and O's" are really all about?

It's undoubtedly a second language for Singletary, one that he learned long ago and has been fluent in for along time. Your attempt to criticize him about it is like an American who doesn't speak French criticizing a Frenchman's accent--when he's never heard the Frenchman speak and wouldn't understand him if he did--just because he saw a French movie once, with subtitles.

Can you cite to one instance where Singletary's purported lack of knowledge of the X's and O's was revealed? Where he called for a draw when he meant to call for a dive play? When he thought it was going to be a sweep and it was a trap? Where he thought a double reverse was a bubble screen? Anything?

Allow me to paraphrase what you're saying: "That Singletary's a great motivator, but he doesn't really know football." Really?

NFL HOF MLB who played in ten pro bowls? Surprising, since, according to your position, he really didn't know what he was doing and doesn't understand the game.

Did they have other guys on the field with him during those pro bowls, pointing him in the right direction, telling him what to do? Guys that were really motivated to help him?

This particular criticism just doesn't seem very well founded, to me. Or else I am misunderstanding what you're trying to say. If so, I apologize, but I just don't see a valid basis in fact for your criticism, here.

Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

people who don't think that Sing is doing a good job need to read a mini book written at a 1st grade level, with large, bright illustrations explaining the basic concepts of football.

Sounds about right.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

This,

this is my view as well..

-9fA

so in your opinion what does he not know about x's and o's? especially being a hof in a defense that went up against bill walsh? he was the qb of the defensive side of the ball... studying way more x's and o's hen a qb on a single team... how about studying all x's and o's from all the teams!
to all you zoners who think singletary doesn't know x's and o's.... he's studied more x's and o's then any qb in the league... as a linebacker you study all the teams x's and o's... watch film on other teams other then your own... a qb coach knows x's and o's... a offensive coordinator knows x's and o's... but from a biased situation they know x's and o's that work specifically to their system. in mike singletary's situation... playing linebacker means.

#1 he's watched plenty of film on "all" offenses in the league!

#2 his personality is more then likely to study the different offenses!

#3 he aint no idiot! he's played the game and been a probowler 10 times!

#4 he's a HOF...

#5 STOP HATING... HE KNOWS MORE THEN ANY OF US!
Originally posted by danimal:
Not Sold. Will be gone soon. Won't be replaced by anybody better. The new nobody will draft a new nobody to play QB, and the whole process will repeat itself.

This thread would not have been created if

-Dre Bly picks off Favre on 4th down of the Vikings game

-Favre gets hit before he can throw that lucky pass to Lewis at the end

-Al Everest does not call a double reverse in the beginning of the Seahawks game.

-Parys Haralson pushes Chris Johnson out of bounds on a 4th down TD run.

Game of inches bro. Those were 3 games that could have went our way. Could have gone 11-5 and you would be praising Singletary.
Share 49ersWebzone