People who are not sold on Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

WTF
Not sold? I guess not but . . .

Erickson: 9-23
Nolan: 18-37
Singletary: 13-12

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 4, 2010 at 19:39:53 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I Love Sing and the toughness he brings to this team.

But since he is a defensive guy he will never trust a Qb to win games. In todays NFL the successful teams have elite Qb's and are aggresive passing first.

Sure the team went to a spread like offense, but only when we were behind in games or when the running game was not working. Under Walsh we pass to set up the run, under Sing he just wants to play field position. Even the Patriots under Belicheck have improvised to be able to field a superbowl contender year in and year out.

Will Sing allow Alex to win games with his arm? Will we make the playoffs in 2010? Will we win on the road?
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Haha
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Nobody should be sold until he takes us to the playoffs. He inherited a much better team than what Nolan had to work with. And if the QB situation is still the reason we don't make it into the playoffs then I wouldn't mind showing him the door, he's had 2 seasons to address that issue. And I hate the rookie HC excuse, he talked about making the playoffs and he failed on that, why let it slide?

Singletary "inherited a much better team than what Nolan had to work with?????" Huh?

Seems, to me, that Singletary took over the exact same team that Nolan had. Took over mid season. The team began to show improvements almost right away, with the same players.

Added Crabtree after five games the following season and, uh, Coffee, and, uh, . . . tell me again how it was a "much better team than what Nolan had to work with."

Its better now, because Singletary has made it better, developing Franklin, Brooks, VD, Alex Smith, Goldson, and others. But those guys were on the team under Nolan as well.

Sorry, but it seems to me that you're giving Singletary short shrift for what he has accomplished in a relatively short time.

You obviously didn't understand what I meant. When Nolan got the job the team was full of scrubs, I don't think you'd disagree with that. Why did he get fired? Because he couldn't win with our improved talent, Singletary inherited that talent, got some players to play better and still fell short in his first year after talking about how this team was bound for the playoffs.

That's why I don't buy the "it was his first year" excuse. He didn't walk into the same situation Nolan did his first year, that's why I don't give him a pass. The expectations have been to get to the playoffs.
I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm completely sold on coach sing. But i don't think this situation could work in any other sport pretty much. I think a head coach in the NFL is a lot different than any other of the 4 major pro sports, because of the coordinators and the fact that they call the plays during the game. Sing is not as technical as he would need to be in another sport to be the head man. Having said that, It was so great watching the draft, and watching guys slide due to character issues and knowing that's not an issue for the niners with sing at the helm.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
and still think that he could be replaced--let it be known who you are.

Two things that completely piss me off about Singletary are:

-his HORRIBLE in-game management, just terrible with the timing and execution

-his lack of knowledge for the proper game plan each week--i liked how we would go into the game running into a brick wall against a good run D and come out the second airing it desperado style --then against a team (Seahawks) that Gore completely destroyed, we came out tossing the ball over 50 times and ended up losing.
If this stuff was happening and it was Sing's 3rd or 4th year yeah I'd have a problem--but the fact is this was his FIRST FULL YEAR as HC. C'mom man you need to get on board and start really appreciating what this man has done for the 49ers. It's like he led us out of the Plague and into the Rennaissance. You haven't been around very long I'm sure of that. Take it from the oldtimers like me and the old niner dudes, things are going to really shape up with Sing running the show. Look at the draft we just had--maybe too early to tell but we got some excellent young players that are going bring home another championship for us. Relax, kick back in your couch potato chair and drink down the koolaid.....
Nobody should be sold until he takes us to the playoffs. He inherited a much better team than what Nolan had to work with. And if the QB situation is still the reason we don't make it into the playoffs then I wouldn't mind showing him the door, he's had 2 seasons to address that issue. And I hate the rookie HC excuse, he talked about making the playoffs and he failed on that, why let it slide?

Singletary "inherited a much better team than what Nolan had to work with?????" Huh?

Seems, to me, that Singletary took over the exact same team that Nolan had. Took over mid season. The team began to show improvements almost right away, with the same players.

Added Crabtree after five games the following season and, uh, Coffee, and, uh, . . . tell me again how it was a "much better team than what Nolan had to work with."

Its better now, because Singletary has made it better, developing Franklin, Brooks, VD, Alex Smith, Goldson, and others. But those guys were on the team under Nolan as well.

Sorry, but it seems to me that you're giving Singletary short shrift for what he has accomplished in a relatively short time.

You obviously didn't understand what I meant. When Nolan got the job the team was full of scrubs, I don't think you'd disagree with that. Why did he get fired? Because he couldn't win with our improved talent, Singletary inherited that talent, got some players to play better and still fell short in his first year after talking about how this team was bound for the playoffs.

That's why I don't buy the "it was his first year" excuse. He didn't walk into the same situation Nolan did his first year, that's why I don't give him a pass. The expectations have been to get to the playoffs.

I think I get what you're saying. The team was more talented when Singletary took over. Okay.

But you agree that Nolan wasn't getting the best, or even the average, out of the talent he had at the time.

Singletary has come in and improved what was there.

As far as the "it was his first year," your position doesn't seem reasonable, to me. No matter what the talent level of the team, any brand new coach is going to go through some growing pains, some adjustments.

If you take over a new job, do you expect us to believe you're gonna be perfect from day one? Please. Experience counts.

Frankly, for a guy with as little actual coaching experience as he had on his resume when he took over, Singletary's done an outstanding job, to date. Not that he still doesn't have room to improve, but I like what I've seen so far, alot.
He's not a good coach but he's a good motivator.

-his lack of knowledge for the proper game plan each week--i liked how we would go into the game running into a brick wall against a good run D and come out the second airing it desperado style --then against a team (Seahawks) that Gore completely destroyed, we came out tossing the ball over 50 times and ended up losing.
Gore had two huge runs against the Seahawks in the first game but we couldn't run the ball to save our lives for the rest of the game.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Not sold? I guess not but . . .

Erickson: 9-23
Nolan: 18-37
Singletary: 13-12

I'll give him credit for having a winning record to date. That said for me to be sold on Singletary this team needs to take the next step in 2010 . . . meaning a Division Title.

This,

I just love his ability to motivate, BUT I just hate his understanding of X and Os!

Not Sold, but tempted to buy in!

Great. We finally got a HC who appears to have a clue, has the team moving in the right direction, has his own vision of how the team should look and play, actually drafts players who fit that vision, and--at long, long last--there appears to be just a smidgen of hope on the horizon. . .

and someone not only wants to get rid of the HC, he wants others to join in some kinda circle jerk about how they don't like the HC.

Only in Niner Talk.

2006 Nolan's 49ers were better than last year's 49ers. Why? we overchieved that year, by a whole lot! that was the year when we were supposed to get the #1 draft pick again. Last year, we had much talent on the team and barely scraped out 1 more win. We lost the season mid way, again.

I support Singletary but just isn't sold on him. His in-game timeouts have always been seen as a joke to me. I liked how he called the time out in that one game and next play we gave a touchdown. I am just saying the jury is still out on that dude.

So if Nolan's 2006 49ers were "better" than last year's 49ers does that mean you want to hire Nolan again?

Of course the jury is out on Singletary. He's been the HC for a year-and-a-half and he's 13 - 12. Give him a chance. Or, we could bring back Buck Shaw. His record was 71-39-4. Not bad.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

WTF

This gif is the awesomeness.
Originally posted by jreff22:
DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

please listen to this mans comments.. no one can speak here until the end of this upcoming season. Everyone on the zone thinks they are nostradamus and can predict everything.. lol im sorry but ur not that talented
Share 49ersWebzone