LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

People who are not sold on Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With each yr, I would hope bigMike gets better as a coach. I have made my criticisms in times past , but always wish him well for the upcoming yr. The one hard, brutal fact remains this: BigMike was jump- promoted from the only position he had ever coached , LBs, to HC. Not a promo to DL coach, or DB Coach, or OL coach or QB coach or TE coach, nor WR coach, nor RB coach, and certainly not OC. Amazingly he bypassed DC. So what is the problem. Does a HC necessarily have to have the background in all the above, plus some time spent with a GM? No, but certainly anyone would admit, it would be passingly strange , maybe foolish even, to give a guy a promotion such as his.

Is bigMike a definitive HOF player, maybe best LB ever? Yeah, sure is. Did his 5 yrs out of coaching on lecture circuit qualify him for HC? No, but it certainly didn't hurt his motivational talents. So what if he jump skipped all the way to HC? Well, in a nutshell, you don't become a bank president, a lawyer, a professor, a skilled woodworking craftsman, etc, without first putting in your time. It is not paying your dues...it is learning as you are going, experiencing setbacks, learning what good strategy works, and which doesn't . It is learning how to coach at each and every position, and especially learning about the vagaries of each and every position.

Bigmike is learning about all the above as he goes. There is no way anyone could or should expect him to be at the same level as a bellichek, a sean payton, a parcells, etc. He got Peter-principled, thru no fault of his own, and now is learning on the job...which would be fine for a position coach, or OC or DC...but he is HC...and that makes for one whale of a giant step.

Not that a terrific guy like bigmike can't do it. He is trying admirably. He is and will continue to be handicapped by all the other learning positions he didn't occupy, and i hope we can progress under his leadership. Some have complained about play calling, philosophy of game, timeouts and clock mgmt. Well , those all come with experience as one moves up the ranks. FRankly i think the yorks are asking too much of the guy, but i nonetheless hope that now he is HC, that he can learn at super human speed. Anything short of that, and we, the 49ers , and fans, will be terribly disappointed.

I agree that more experience would have served him well ----- At this point he is here so I just hope he can learn quickly on the fly and reduce the repeated errors ala Nolan. I am curious to see how he does this season.
i believe in singletary i think hes a decent couch i think he brings out the most in players at all times true his time judgement is off a bit but i still love him as our coach i wouldnt want nobody else. but i do not like jimmy raye at all i think we need a better OC if we are gonna reach a super bowl we cant do it with raye hes to predictable
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We're in the worse division in the history of the NFL. If we don't make the playoffs this year it's time to clean house.

I don't have a problem with Singletary it's just I think he's an extension of the Nolan regime. If we fail again this season it means 6 straight seasons of missing the playoffs under this regime. According to them we were supposed to be Super Bowl contenders by year 5. If we fail this year it's time to get away from being Baltimore's retarded sister and moving back to our roots. What made a great franchise in the past. A quarterback friendly offense with a stifling defense.

Look we could have made a play at a real QB this offseason, but Singletary put his trust in Alex. If it back fires then that's on him. No mulligans.

Actually were not

Yes we are. St Louis is historically bad right now being in the bottom 2 picks the last 3 seasons. Arizona is crumbling and Seattle is on the rebuild. Not a single one of those teams would finish above 3rd in any other division, and we're not good enough to win any other division then ours. Take us out of the West and we're a borderline wild card team at best.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 6, 2010 at 06:27:51 ]
We're in the worse division in the history of the NFL. If we don't make the playoffs this year it's time to clean house.

I don't have a problem with Singletary it's just I think he's an extension of the Nolan regime. If we fail again this season it means 6 straight seasons of missing the playoffs under this regime. According to them we were supposed to be Super Bowl contenders by year 5. If we fail this year it's time to get away from being Baltimore's retarded sister and moving back to our roots. What made a great franchise in the past. A quarterback friendly offense with a stifling defense.

Look we could have made a play at a real QB this offseason, but Singletary put his trust in Alex. If it back fires then that's on him. No mulligans.

Actually were not

Yes we are. St Louis is historically bad right now being in the bottom 2 picks the last 3 seasons. Arizona is crumbling and Seattle is on the rebuild. Not a single one of those teams would finish above 3rd in any other division, and we're not good enough to win any other division then ours. Take us out of the West and we're a borderline wild card team at best.

Our division has had more Superbowl appearances then any other the past 10 years and Arizona was in the Superbowl 2 years ago.

Actually were not

Our division has had more Superbowl appearances then any other the past 10 years and Arizona was in the Superbowl 2 years ago.

I'm really talking about this season. Arizona is a shell of it's former self losing Warner, Dansby, Berry, and Boldin. That's 4 Pro Bowlers from that Super Bowl team.

Actually were not

I'm really talking about this season. Arizona is a shell of it's former self losing Warner, Dansby, Berry, and Boldin. That's 4 Pro Bowlers from that Super Bowl team.

I can agree this year the West is pretty easy but we don't play in the worst division ever.

Actually were not

No one ever seems to notice it, most niner fans wont point it out because we were the only team from the west not to go
Just for the record I'm sold on Singletary. He is a coach that guys will go out and play for. Thats a very underrated part of coaching. I was listening to the radio where I live and they were talking to Mark Sclereth(sp) and he said you have to have a coach that you would go run out in front of a bus for and that is what I believe we have here.

Coordinators come a dime a dozen and when you build a staff where you can promote within if one of your guys gets a HC job you can really take off. The Colts and Pats have been doing it for years and its something we have failed miserably at. Now that seems to been have fixed the players can go out and execute with more confidence from week to week even season to season.
I'm not sold on Singletary. He's got potential, that's for sure, but he'll have to set his ego aside if he is to take the next step into being an above-average HC.

He's a motivator for sure and a good leader. However, he doesn't yet know how to use timeouts. We wasted so many last year.

He has had probelms hiring good assistant coaches. He has a lack of experience/contacts in the NFL and his "this is my offense" attitude had several OC candidates turning us down.

Sing's offensive philosophies were a disaster last year.

Sing may not be able to identify good assistant coaches. He didn't want to get rid of our awful OL coach, Foerrster (though I'll grant hiring Solari was a good hire) until Foerrster asked to be let go. He hired a ST coach that doesn't seem to specialize in special teams. All that happened the year after he made a desperation hire in Raye(and we saw how that worked out).

Sing has great potential, but he has a lot of learning to do and he'll have to learn to set aside his ego (the run-up-the-middle offense) and be more flexible if he (and the team) are to take the next step.
Team since you're OBVIOUSLY a Better coach since you know what his problams are Why Arent you out the coaching instead of Mr Singletary?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
ttime1, not knowing what he is doing and being on a par with the sean paytons and bellchecks, Mike tomlins...those are two very different issues. In each of those cases, those coaches came up thru the ranks, have had a hand in a number of lesser coaching jobs, and have learned from the ground up. BigMike got put in the position of learning from on top ...down. It's a subtle difference, but do you really believe bill walsh would have been the best coach of all time if he hadn't coached at each and every position on the field? No. He learned the way one generally learns...from the bottom up...and he had paul brown, another coaching legend to learn from.

Think about it for a moment. Who did bigMike learn from? Why it was that wizard of coaches, lil miki noln. That's not exactly who anyone would want as a mentor...yet there we are, and there bigMike is. Hey, i like the guy, admire what he has done, but i agree with the comment above that if we do another 7-9 , 8-8 or even 9-7 yr, then we need to clean house...and that would mean HC, QB, all our imitation OL starters, and so on. Baalke i would keep.

In the retrospectoscope, what i would like to have seen was bigMIke moved to DC
(except i like manusky), or maybe co-DC, for a couple yrs, and then move to HC. Jump skipping him was imo premature. If he fails, owners will have most of the blame for it, not bigmike. I'm hoping, seriously, that bigMike succeeds beyond anyone's wildest expectations. From afar, it just seems the cards are stacked against him. He made a huge hit with me when he either was in favor of AD and poti, or didn't argue. That in itself was a very mature move. It's the lack of previous position coaching experience and especially the lack of DC or OC experience that probably hurts him most. If he succeeds, it will be VERY impressive, and i for one, am pulling for him. I just don't think he is getting a fair shot at being a successful HC...and that is my concern.

You are making a good distinction, at the same time not recognizing that there are different ways of becoming qualified. Sing has been in the game for quite a long time. He spent a significant amount of time studying film as a player and had to understand offense in order to apply defense. Moreover, he spent much time being tutored by Bill Waslh and has a notebook full of knowledge and advice. Coming up through the ranks does not qualify one as an excellent Head Coach. Perfomance does and thus far he has performed better than anyone that this team had over the past seven years.
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Team since you're OBVIOUSLY a Better coach since you know what his problams are Why Arent you out the coaching instead of Mr Singletary?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Not sold. Maybe if they start winning playoff games I'll feel better about him as HC.

I want winners.

Is winning playoff games the new criteria? Cause it sure as hell wasn't when Nolan was here! Why would we even be considering canning Sing when he has done nothing but great things for this team.

I agree that he is not the brightest offensive-minded coach, but that is easy to solve. Bring in an offensive advisor or have Johnson step into the role more this year.

It's really quite simple...win the games that matter, and I get behind coaches & players that have not yet proven they can. BTW, don't put words in my mouth, because I never said Singletary should be canned. I said I am not sold on him yet.
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Wow. LOL. By your "reasoning" no GM, executive, coach or player could be questioned or criticized EVER.

Thanks for dropping by and adding absolutely nothing to the conversation. Next time....don't bother. I know high-level discussion is rare at the webzone, but don't be part of the problem.
The talent level is there to make a playoff run, so the team better deliver.

My sole concern is that the league is more of a "big play" league, and we are seemingly going the opposite direction with "smash mouth" (whatever that means), ball control offense. In other words, I'm not sold on the 2 TE system, especially with a guy who can fly down the field in Ginn.

In other words, this team finally has some players to throw the ball to down the field. I hope we don't turn into a 1st down-run, 2nd down-run, 3rd down-run, 4th down-punt team.

I'm withholding judgment, although things look rosier than the days of Coach Senior Bowl.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 6, 2010 at 11:51:03 ]
Share 49ersWebzone