LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Matt M. article on Analyzing the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
In my webzone assessement last year i forecast 8-8. I do this after every training camp and the 3rd preseason game....stay tuned.

What MM forgot...

Is the the addition of our new Offensive Line coaches is very significant. We will have a better line this year no matter who starts. Word is that Solari is extremely technically focused which is where we suffered last year.
I would anticipate Iupati and Davis starting by mid season

and that Anthony Dixon (RB) and Byham (TE) will, if they make the team, offer a big upgrade to our short yardage abilities.

and that our return game will be better, should be top 15 versus bottom 15 like last year.

But he is right...we go nowhere if Alex doesn't show another step in performance. I must admit i am concerned...He did not ishow steady improvement as he went thru the season..stats were better...but did anyone else notice how he left a lot of throws high? If it wasn't for the escalator that Crabtree is to go up and get those there would have been a bunch more incompletes. Wonder if his shoulder repair has caused this....

IMO this might be as good as Smith is going to get. While his mechanics look better at times he does revert to his old lock kneed self when he is pressured which more often than not results in inaccurate throws.

Knee-lock or whatever the case, he's been throwing over the heads of receivers since I've seen him @ training camp before the '06 season. He's been doing it so long, it's like he's scared to under-throw the receiver and very lucky none of those have been picked off a tip.

/thread hijack

I see fact based writing in this article. Maybe the style it's written in isn't very "rah rah" to the fans but oh well. It's "in" to incite witch hunts nowadays.

IMO, he was point on the 49ers. As for Smith, as everyone else have said, this is the "make it/break it" year for the kid.

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I don't see anything wrong with the article

Ditto
Originally posted by NJNiner:
That article he wrote really bummed me out. After the high of learning about P. Willis 5 year extension, it seems like Matt really dogged the team. He really had nothing positive to say about the 49ers. WTF MM? Are we finally seeing his true colors?

I for one don't see anything wrong with it ! first not everyone is sold on Alex. second we have two rooks on OL if they get to start off the bat. so you think we are going to kill the competion the only thing I think might improve is our running game and by a small margin ! and if you think we are going to beat the Saints by running then you are crazy . HC & OC going to open things up like last year only when we are close to losing our spot to compete to get to the playoffs so there you go.
He does make valid points. then again it is his job to write that will stir a reader. If we drafted differently, I am sure he still would complain about something. Its easy being a back seat driver.
maiocco having live chat now

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/maiocco_chat
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
That article he wrote really bummed me out. After the high of learning about P. Willis 5 year extension, it seems like Matt really dogged the team. He really had nothing positive to say about the 49ers. WTF MM? Are we finally seeing his true colors?

I for one don't see anything wrong with it ! first not everyone is sold on Alex. second we have two rooks on OL if they get to start off the bat. so you think we are going to kill the competion the only thing I think might improve is our running game and by a small margin ! and if you think we are going to beat the Saints by running then you are crazy . HC & OC going to open things up like last year only when we are close to losing our spot to compete to get to the playoffs so there you go.

Running the ball and playing defense is exactly the way to beat the Saints, if they do not have the ball, they cannot score. You just have to be able to do both of those things. I didn't see anything wrong with the article either though, I thought the points were valid and should be taken into consideration before predicting playoffs. We have gained ground on our divisional rivals, but you have to earn a division title and the playoffs, you do not get them by default.
Man...... I wish we had the old MM. The new posted something Raiders related on his FB page earlier today. I know it's job related, but still.

Quote:
MaioccoCSN: It's never too early. Here's a look at the Raiders opponents for the 2011 NFL season. http://bit.ly/cCuSZA

http://www.facebook.com/matt.maiocco?ref=search#!/MaioccoCSN
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by notaclue:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I don't see anything wrong with the article

Ditto

Yeah,...it's all good.
Love most of the team but have real doubts about Ginn. He is another Nehemiah. He accelerates slowly and is fast when he is up to speed but not quick nor anything else special. I think I would keep another reciever or better player instead of him. If it came down to say Curtis Taylor, Boone, etc, I would get rid of Ginn. Leroy Vann intrigues me as he has very quick reactions and he seems a decent corner too. I saw Ahmad Brooks just run a blocker over a few times last year but two times I saw he ran into Alex Boone, he sorta went splat and stopped dead. I really think Boone might be more then what a lot thought of him. He might have some problems with Freeney type guys who line up real wide but otherwise I think he will be as good as most nfl tackles. I get this feeling that he might be a pretty darn good pass blocker. I saw enough of Boone to say that once a guy was in front of him they generally stayed there.
MM was on KNBR today. He felt that A. Smith has especially stepped up in leadership and in understanding calling protections on the line. Here's hoping so!

Share 49ersWebzone