LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Matt M. article on Analyzing the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That article he wrote really bummed me out. After the high of learning about P. Willis 5 year extension, it seems like Matt really dogged the team. He really had nothing positive to say about the 49ers. WTF MM? Are we finally seeing his true colors?
Link?
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Link?

It's on the webzone home page.
link would be helpful...who is he working for now?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/landing/?&blockID=228602&feedID=5936
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

It should be on the CSN bay area web site.
Quote:
Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com
The 49ers might pick up some spare parts along the way, but it’s safe to assume no difference-makers are going to plop into their laps between now and the opening of training camp in late-July.

The 49ers were not good enough in 2009. They played well at times, but certain glaring weaknesses prevented them from posting the organization’s first winning record since 2002.

Let’s take a look at what the 49ers have done this offseason -- after the draft and the first several waves of free agency -- to address some of their key weaknesses:

Passing offense
The 49ers were not interested in Donovan McNabb. And they twice passed on the opportunity to add quarterback Jimmy Clausen via the draft.

The organization’s answer at the sport’s most important position was to give Alex Smith a vote of confidence.

The 49ers have placed their trust in Smith, the league’s 19th-rated passer from a year ago. The 49ers are hoping/expecting his production to take a major leap. This is the first NFL offseason in which he has not been forced to learn a new system.

The club was never comfortable with Shaun Hill as a starter or a backup. Therefore, the 49ers signed David Carr as a free agent and dealt Hill away to the Lions for a seventh-round pick in 2011.

Speedy receiver Ted Ginn Jr. was added. He might give the 49ers a true vertical threat in the passing game. The weapons aren’t the issue, though. Any improvements in the pass game will hinge on Smith and his pass protection.

Although the 49ers spent first-round picks on offensive linemen Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, it might not be realistic for the 49ers to expect significant improvement in pass blocking over what Adam Snyder and David Baas could give them.

The 49ers coveted Davis and Iupati for their aggressive approaches. That aggressiveness, more often than not, can get young offensive linemen in trouble when it comes to pass protection.

Rushing offense
The 49ers struggled to find consistency last season, though running back Frank Gore rushed for 1,120 yards and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye made no secret of his desire to run the ball a lot. But the Colts and Cardinals were the only teams in the NFL that ran the ball with less frequency, and the 49ers ranked 25th in the league in rushing yards.

In getting two 325-pound-plus linemen -- Davis and Iupati -- who thrive at getting off at the snap and being physical, the 49ers are placing an emphasis on driving the opposing defense off the line of scrimmage.

While the addition of two rookies on the offensive line might force the 49ers to take a step back in the pass game, it should pay dividends on the ground.

The 49ers also added another powerful running back, Anthony Dixon, and a blocking tight end, Nate Byham, in the sixth round.

Pass defense
The 49ers entered the offseason without much depth at cornerback, and they did nothing of significance to address their pass defense, which ranked 21st in the NFL a year ago.

To this point in the offseason, they have shown no desire to re-sign veteran Dre’ Bly, who started the final six games of the season at left cornerback. Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer and Tarell Brown return from a year ago.

The 49ers added possible nickel back Karl Paymah, who started two games with the Vikings last season. They also are visiting this week with nine-year veteran Will James, whom the Lions released at the end of the season.

Cornerbacks Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Kyle Wilson and Patrick Robinson were options with the No. 17 overall pick, but the 49ers opted to select Iupati. Seventh-round draft pick Phillip Adams of South Carolina State is raw. He is not likely to be a factor as a rookie.

The 49ers did not add a pass-rusher in the draft, either. They signed veteran Travis LaBoy to a one-year contract. He missed last season after surgery to repair torn tendons in his foot. LaBoy had 23.5 sacks in his first five NFL seasons, and it’s questionable whether he can crack a rotation at outside linebacker that already includes Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson and Ahmad Brooks.

Return game
Ginn is a proven commodity as a kick returner, ranking 13th in the NFL last season with a 24.9 average for the Dolphins. He is also capable as a punt returner, where the 49ers were in dire need of help.

The 49ers secured Ginn a week before the draft for a fifth-round draft pick. The 49ers also invested a sixth-round pick on receiver/returner Kyle Williams. Then, they brought in dynamic returnman LeRoy Vann of Florida A&M as an undrafted free agent. Vann holds the NCAA record with 11 combined touchdown returns -- eight punts and three kickoffs.

After Arnaz Battle struggled with a 2.9-yard average and two costly turnovers on punt returns, consider this area improved.

Read more: Maiocco: Analyzing the 49ers
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
how did he dog the team again? lol i dont see it.
I don't see anything wrong with the article
I think MM has always been fair and impartial. This article is no different. There is nothing in the article that is not a fair evaluation of the 49ers off-season.

I dont think he's dissing the team, but think some are talking about his tone in the article. Before, he seemed more optimistic about the possibilities of what we can be. Which wasnt bad.

Then in reading this article, he's more like, we didnt do this, so this probably wont work. We didnt add that, so i see no improvement, and we shouldnt look for it in certain areas.

Now yes, he didnt say these words, but i can tell a difference in the writing. Maybe not enough to make a big deal about. but the tone is a little different IMHO
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

oh i know whats going on here, another thread made just to start the hating and complaining again for no reason.

suuuswwet, or whatever your name was, where you at man? im sure you would love to resond to this comment :)

lol
Thanks for all the feedback zoners. I guess this is just a case of seeing things differently and I don't mind being different. GO NINERS!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Me either, I think he just spoke the truth and didn't even suck Alex Smith in it.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I dont think he's dissing the team, but think some are talking about his tone in the article. Before, he seemed more optimistic about the possibilities of what we can be. Which wasnt bad.

Then in reading this article, he's more like, we didnt do this, so this probably wont work. We didnt add that, so i see no improvement, and we shouldnt look for it in certain areas.

Now yes, he didnt say these words, but i can tell a difference in the writing. Maybe not enough to make a big deal about. but the tone is a little different IMHO

It would be funny if MM turns into one of those people we hate like Kawakami or that fatass forgot his name
Share 49ersWebzone