There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baas getting some work at Right Guard and Center?

Cue Club Mensa with the "Heitmann Sucks" references. I smell them coming.
Gonna be some good battles in camp for sure!
I think Baas can play well at Center. He was a good Center in college.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You may be right but there was no secret of the fact he was very slow learning the terminology and blocking schemes his rookie and second years.
Originally posted by dj43:

You may be right but there was no secret of the fact he was very slow learning the terminology and blocking schemes his rookie and second years.

Hmmm? I thought his issue was getting hurt, not the playbook.
I bet about 95% of you disagree with me, but I still feel Rachal is a better 3rd/swing Guard than a starter. If Baas (who im not too crazy about either) was to beat him out, It'd really would fortify our depth, and benefit the team..
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I bet about 95% of you disagree with me, but I still feel Rachal is a better 3rd/swing Guard than a starter. If Baas (who im not too crazy about either) was to beat him out, It'd really would fortify our depth, and benefit the team..

I'm with you. Baas' best position was RG and most ppl forget that. Despite starting his rookie season and playing fantastic towards the end of the season (the year Frank had his best season with Turner on board) he was relegated to backup b/c of Smiley's healthy return. And then suddenly, he was switched to LG for Rachel. When I watched him play RG, he would fire off the ball, drive and get to the second level every time. In Raye's offense, he was more of a pulling guard (see every Gore TD from last year) and asked to run into the back of Heitmann 50% of the time and pull and block in the RG gap against 8 and 9-man run blitzing defenses. I think with the addition of Iupati and Davis, putting Baas back at RG would be ideal for the type of scheme we want to run. As a RG he played with a mean streak, something we haven't seen lately d/t him adjusting to a new position and role and b/c of injuries and general, ineffectiveness across the entire o-line and him sort of being the scapegoat for poor scheme and play calling, IMHO. Having a stout guy like this play center too would be ideal. We are a TERRIBLE running team in short yardage and esp. at the goal line and much of that falls on Heitmann who is stalemate at best but more often then not, pushed back rather easily. And seriously, how hard would it be to call line plays in Raye's running offense? It's pretty much "straight up the gut between the tackles."
Baas needs to display some versatility to keep a roster spot, Iupati is going to start from day one so Baas needs to get in some work at both guard positions and center.
I think it's safe to say that Wallace has been a disappointment so far. That makes Baas the logical backup at center, even over Wragge, the journeyman. And, let's face it, he also was a better RG than LG.

He also played guard well in college. Look how that's translated...
f**k David Baas that fool always wants like 50mil when I try to resign him...

yeah 6 years ago, that rust comes off EASY