Off. Linemen-who stays and who goes?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Most teams carry 9 OL, so I will use this number as a base:

The starters seem pretty obvious:
Staley----Iupati----Heitmann----Rachal-----Davis

And, there is no doubt that Snyder and Sims will make the team. More than likely, Baas, as the previous starter at LG will be on the team. So, then it is down to one final player.

I see a dogfight between Wragge, Wallace, and Boone for the last spot. I'd put money on Wragge, since he plays all three interior positions.

Look for Wallace to be cut, and Boone to be placed on the PS for a second year.

Solari will certainly have a say, but I have the feeling Singletary isn't going to forget that Snyder made Alex Smith's life insurance premiums jump every Sunday, and was one reason the Niners couldn't convert 3rd-and-1s last season. If Boone shows he can outplay Snyder at the RT position in TC and the preseason, the coaches may feel more confident having him there than someone with a recent history of not being able to handle the position. And they'll still have enough backups for the interior with Baas and Wragge.

Snyder is not going anywhere for one major reason: Versatility. He is the only player on the roster who can play four positions on the line (RT, RG, LG, LT). Now, he may not be great, or even adequate at any one position. However, teams crave guys like Snyder who can take on a ton of different roles.

I agree. Wragge will make the nine but be inactive on game day. One proviso: Boone could prove himself more valuable if he can be significantly better than Snyder or Sims on short yardage situations. But Snyder's versatility, experience and Boone's availability for the practice squad will be hard for Boone to overcome.

Another option is for the coaches to work out Snyder at center, making Wragge expendable.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Locks: 7
Joe Staley
Barry Sims
Mike Iupati
David Baas
Eric Heitmann
Chilo Rachal
Anthony Davis

Near lock: 1
Adam Snyder

In a competition: 3
Alex Boone
Tony Wragge
Cody Wallace

Long shots: 2
Brian De La Puente
Chris Patrick

Wallace is last in talent and lack of versatility. Snyder or Wragge stays as a backup guard, probably Snyder due to versatility. Make or break time for Boone.
Has Baas ever taken a snap at center at the professional level? Any experience reading defenses and issuing blocking assignments like Heitmann? You cant just throw a guy in at center and be like its cool because he played in center in college 5 years ago.
I think Anthony Davis and Mike Iupapit should go..........um wait a second j/k

[ Edited by GorefullBore on May 5, 2010 at 17:17:43 ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I agree. Wragge will make the nine but be inactive on game day. One proviso: Boone could prove himself more valuable if he can be significantly better than Snyder or Sims on short yardage situations. But Snyder's versatility, experience and Boone's availability for the practice squad will be hard for Boone to overcome.

If Boone shows anything during preseason, the Niners may be as reluctant to put him on the PS as they were to put Davis there last year, and for the same general reason. Offensive tackles with any talent are valuable commodities, and many teams out there would salivate at snapping up a promising one at a bargain-basement price. Of course, if the Niners *do* stash Boone there, it won't be the first time they'll have lost a good offensive lineman because of a numbskull move (see Dahl, Harvey).
we definitely keep at least 9. i kinda hope we keep ten, but if it's nine i think wallace and snyder are cut. if we keep 10 i think its just wallace and we keep snyder
Well all i know is that if things go as planned, Iupati, and Davis will be starting.

I just hope that maybe during TC, they can go over how to keep the opposing teams defensive line from batting down balls at the line of scrimmage.

In the past some said it was just because of the way the QB threw the ball, however, in the Eagles game i remember his o-line prevented the opposing defense from getting hands up, by blocking the guys down lower, so they couldnt raise their hands.

I hope we learn a little of this, before pre-season.
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by dragon79:
Starters:
Joe Staley LT
Mike Iupati LG
Eric Heitman C
Chilo Rachal RG
Anthony Davis RT

Backups:
Barry Sims LT
David Bass C/G
Adam Snyder G/T
Alex Boone RT

agreed.

I also agree, with Snyder being the lowest on the depth chart.

• Ring6
  • Veteran
Why does everyone assume Wallace has the least talent? Granted, he hasn't shown us much yet (Heitman has a stranglehold on the position), but just because he is still a backup who hasn't seen much playing time isn't a good reason to assume he will not make the squad. One, he is a center, and although Baas can play center, Baas is probably gone next year. Two, he is a good character guy, and participates in the off-season program (I believe). Three, appears to be a hard worker, so likely has lots of upside. I think people are making rash judgments without knowing all of the facts. It's not like we are coaches or or on the practice field with the guy.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Depending on how Boone plays in preseason/TC this is how I see it going down.

Starters:
Joe Staley LT
Mike Iupati LG
Eric Heitman C
Chilo Rachal RG
Anthony Davis RT

Backups:
Barry Sims 1st T
Alex Boone 2nd T

David Bass 1st G
Wragge 2nd G (backup C)

Yes Snyder can play multiple positions but he sucks at both. And with Sims and Boone we wouldn't need a 3rd T so we go with Wragge who is a better G and can play C.

Now if Boone doesn't play well in preseason/TC.

Starters:
Joe Staley LT
Mike Iupati LG
Eric Heitman C
Chilo Rachal RG
Anthony Davis RT

Backups:
Barry Sims 1st T
Snyder 2nd T (3rd G)

David Bass 1st G
Wragge 2nd G (backup C)

Boone getting cut with hopes of being able to PSing him again this year.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Most teams carry 9 OL, so I will use this number as a base:

The starters seem pretty obvious:
Staley----Iupati----Heitmann----Rachal-----Davis

And, there is no doubt that Snyder and Sims will make the team. More than likely, Baas, as the previous starter at LG will be on the team. So, then it is down to one final player.

I see a dogfight between Wragge, Wallace, and Boone for the last spot. I'd put money on Wragge, since he plays all three interior positions.

Look for Wallace to be cut, and Boone to be placed on the PS for a second year.

Solari will certainly have a say, but I have the feeling Singletary isn't going to forget that Snyder made Alex Smith's life insurance premiums jump every Sunday, and was one reason the Niners couldn't convert 3rd-and-1s last season. If Boone shows he can outplay Snyder at the RT position in TC and the preseason, the coaches may feel more confident having him there than someone with a recent history of not being able to handle the position. And they'll still have enough backups for the interior with Baas and Wragge.

Snyder is not going anywhere for one major reason: Versatility. He is the only player on the roster who can play four positions on the line (RT, RG, LG, LT). Now, he may not be great, or even adequate at any one position. However, teams crave guys like Snyder who can take on a ton of different roles.

Another option is for the coaches to work out Snyder at center, making Wragge expendable.

Agreed.

I know many are pumped up about Boone's new physique, but until he can show anything on the field, he's still PS material.

Snyder at backup center is an intriguing idea. Wragge and Wallace would be in serious trouble.
Share 49ersWebzone