LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Living in the past?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have read a lot of criticism of Singletary about creating a "Team from 20 years ago" with the 49ers draft choices and team philosophy. Based on the moves I have seen thus far, the team from "20 years ago" that the Niners seem to be morphing into looks a lot like the 1992 Dallas Cowboys. (Elite Defense, Power Run, Vertical Pass)

I love the West Coast Offense as much as any other Niner fan, but the simple fact is that the current team is not set up for a West Coast attack. Furthermore, the success of Bill Walsh's philosophy was partly due to the fact that it ran contrary to the prevailing NFL trend of power football. (It also requires 3+ years of consistent implementation to develop the necessary discipline and refinement . . . we simply do not have that level of continuity)

Now that the pendulum has shifted hard toward pass happy offenses and speed based defenses, power football is poised for a comeback. A team that can light up the scoreboard with the pass AND burn the clock between the tackles will prove very difficult to stop.

1992 DAL Team Statistics
Cowboys Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 324 241
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 119 - 183 - 22 68 - 147 - 26
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 87/208 50/184
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 8/12 7/15
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5606 3931
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1014 - 5.5 873 - 4.5
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2121 1244
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 500 - 4.2 345 - 3.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3485 2687
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 314 - 491 - 15 - 7.3 263 - 484 - 17 - 6.3
SACKS 44 23
FIELD GOALS 24/35 14/17
TOUCHDOWNS 48 29
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 20 - 23 - 2 - 3 11 - 16 - 0 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 33:57 26:02
TURNOVER RATIO +6
Beefing up your OL isn't living in the past, it's necessary.
As long as Crabtree doesn't turn into a cokehead I'm cool with it.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Beefing up your OL isn't living in the past, it's necessary.
Love the West Coast offense - I love winning more!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Interesting enough, the winning seasons stopped around the end of WCO.
You can't have a line that is too good. Run or pass, it all starts there.

Sing, or a new coach, doesn't matter because they both need the best possible OL.

Will Sing/Raye misuse a new and improved OL? He says not, that he is going balanced. Can Raye install a superior balanced offense? Will it rank with other good balanced offenses around the league? Will he call the right plays? We will see.

But, even if the offense is awful, getting linemen is great for the future.
Originally posted by danimal:

We were a WCO team in '03, '04, and '05.

More interesting is that the losing started about the time we started clearing the roster of NFL talent.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

More interesting is that the losing started about the time we started clearing the roster of NFL talent.

you get +1 internets on my niner talk scorecard

Also when the bill run up by Policy came due.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Future - Bad

Past - Good
I have no problem running the Norv Turner or Dallas offense with the talent we have now, BUT Dallas had a great running game AND passing attack. They never tried to lead the NFL in attempts between the guards. They had a varied offense that used the RB's A LOT in the passing game and they used the TE too. The WR's pushed up the field vertically and this helped Smith a lot because all the defensive players weren't right up in the box. The ball was spread around and the play calling was not just rush the ball up the middle. Will Sing and Raye run a varied offense OR will we lead the NFL with attempts between the guards?
Originally posted by Nes49:
Future - Bad

Past - Good

As in the past since 2003?
Originally posted by stevenking57:
I have no problem running the Norv Turner or Dallas offense with the talent we have now, BUT Dallas had a great running game AND passing attack. They never tried to lead the NFL in attempts between the guards. They had a varied offense that used the RB's A LOT in the passing game and they used the TE too. The WR's pushed up the field vertically and this helped Smith a lot because all the defensive players weren't right up in the box. The ball was spread around and the play calling was not just rush the ball up the middle. Will Sing and Raye run a varied offense OR will we lead the NFL with attempts between the guards?

I would argue the other way around. The Coryell offense in Dallas was built around an O-Line that owned the line of scrimmage and forced the defense to come into the box.

Did you notice how Irvin seemed to be wide open all the time? It's because safeties were in down the box to try and stop Smith. Power Running is what makes play action credible.
Share 49ersWebzone