LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Mirror safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been hearing the term "mirror safeties" thrown around by Barber and Barrows. Basically the coaching staff wants both safeties to be interchangeable, able to play both deep in coverage and in the box.

How do you feel about this strategy?
it's better than having safeties that the offense can gameplan against because they're one dimensional.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on May 3, 2010 at 19:52:00 ]
This might be a good strategy to keep the offense guessing. Then again, I could also see this blowing up in our faces, too.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I've been hearing the term "mirror safeties" thrown around by Barber and Barrows. Basically the coaching staff wants both safeties to be interchangeable, able to play both deep in coverage and in the box.

How do you feel about this strategy?

Until we upgrade our corner situation we have to scheme to contain the #1 WRs so the QB not knowing which corner is going to get help over the top is a good thing. But i do understand your concern usually when we ask both safeties to do everything it also means they can't specialize in one thing. It would be great to have a ballhawk and an enforcer back there like Hanks and Mcdonald were in the 90's but it also might not be a bad thing to have both safeties that can help in coverage and are not afraid to mix it up in the run support as well. Lets just hope Goldson can play like he did against arizona every game and that Mays can get the most out of all of his physical gifts. If that is the case, (and that's a big if) then the team's Safety position should set for a while.

[ Edited by flynhayn15 on May 3, 2010 at 20:01:24 ]
I can see it. Goldson and Mays are very similar in much of their play, physical, intimidating, and relentless. Once Mays develops his attack to the ball, we just may have something very special. Our two identical safeties who can not only cover, but lay some serious wood. A combo hit by those two would be death, seriously.

Mays' genetics stands out like the Hulk among his peers. 6'3, 230? Are you kiddin' me? That's just wrong! He's already learning NFL coverage schemes and seems to be flowing into the system for a rookie who can't cover. You can tell in his tone of his conversations with reporters about his ability to intercept, the genuineness exudes confidence about his ability to "ball-hawk". Just cause he didn't do it in college, doesn't mean he can't especially when coached to go for the hit rather than the ball.

He now just has to prove he can. He will.

I look forward to the pre-season where we will see more of this rookie class. This class resembles the attitude of the 81 class where Lott dictated the tone of the team's secondary.

How ironic he's now mentoring Mays. Now that's how the world turns in NinerLand.

[ Edited by ninertico on May 4, 2010 at 07:28:01 ]
If it works it's great! If not then we need to go back to basics..I think they have the skill set to be interchangeable,(mays and goldson).
I think that would be ideal for any safety, but good luck finding one, nonetheless two. And hell, if you find one he may just be average but can play but pretty average. Good luck finding two studs. :)

~Dann~
Originally posted by ninertico:
I can see it. Goldson and Mays are very similar in much of their play, physical, intimidating, and relentless. Once Mays develops his attack to the ball, we just may have something very special. Our two identical safeties who can not only cover, but lay some serious wood. A combo hit by those two would be death, seriously.

Mays' genetics stands out like the Hulk among his peers. 6'3, 230? Are you kiddin' me? That's just wrong! He's already learning NFL coverage schemes and seems to be flowing into the system for a rookie who can't cover. You can tell in his tone of his conversations with reporters about his ability to intercept, the genuineness exudes confidence about his ability to "ball-hawk". Just cause he didn't do it in college, doesn't mean he can't especially when coached to go for the hit rather than the ball.

I look forward to the pre-season where we will see more of this rookie class. This class resembles the attitude of the 80 class where Lott dictated the tone of the team's secondary.

How ironic he's now mentoring Mays. Now that's how the world turns in NinerLand.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This might be a good strategy to keep the offense guessing. Then again, I could also see this blowing up in our faces, too.

I agree that it is a good strategy for keeping the offense guessing if Mays can improve his ability...... I can also see the potential of it blowing up too.

Originally posted by ninertico:

I look forward to the pre-season where we will see more of this rookie class. This class resembles the attitude of the 80 class where Lott dictated the tone of the team's secondary.

Good post! Gonna be exciting training camp
Yeah i cant wait till TC starts.

It's funny because i saw a lot of this when the niners played the jets in 98.

I knew Merton Hanks was a beast, but they moved him all around the field, in the box, coverage. They showed at least 5 different ways that the team of 98 lined him up.

And about when the safeties are disguised, you can plug them wherever you want.

Any of you think Goldson or Mays could bring that Hanks "wildman swagger" to our team this year.
Share 49ersWebzone