LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Boone vs Snyder

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Boone vs Snyder

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Boone is younger, way more upside, and.... doesn't suck!

How do you know that, you have never even seen him play in the regular season.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Synder is horrible at guard and tackle.

Starters-Staley/Iupati/Heitman/Rachal/Davis
reserves- Sims/Baas/Boone
No back up center. You need at least 9 linemen
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Boone is younger, way more upside, and.... doesn't suck!

How do you know that, you have never even seen him play in the regular season.

Good point. I don't, but I'm assuming with his drastic offseason workout and training, he has the desire to be good and put in the time. That usually results in making the squad and usurping the underperforming yet versatile Snyder.

[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 4, 2010 at 11:43:25 ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erAddict:

reserves- Sims/Wragge/Boone

Wragge has played well (not starter quality) at center and both guard spots, he is not as good as Baas at LG but better at center and RG.

Wragge is mediocre, no thanks.
It's somewhat apples & oranges...Boone hasn't proven anything yet. It's good he's seriously remolded his body...he still has to show he can be effective on the field. I hope he does just that. As for Snyder, he's one of those jack-of-all-trades, ace of none kind of guys. His best position is OG...but with the arrival of Iupati and hopefully the emergence of Rachal, he won't play much there unless someone gets hurt. He was forced to play OT...not his best position. But, if it becomes an either or proposition, Snyder does have versatility on his side. Boone still has PS eligibility...but if he comes close to making the roster, word will spread and he could get plucked. Let the competition begin...
Hopefully Boone will be our back up, I'm willing to give him a chance. We know Snyder struggles in pass protection, so no reason to keep him around much longer.

So you would only keep one guard, and no one to back up center.

Pathetic.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's somewhat apples & oranges...Boone hasn't proven anything yet. It's good he's seriously remolded his body...he still has to show he can be effective on the field. I hope he does just that. As for Snyder, he's one of those jack-of-all-trades, ace of none kind of guys. His best position is OG...but with the arrival of Iupati and hopefully the emergence of Rachal, he won't play much there unless someone gets hurt. He was forced to play OT...not his best position. But, if it becomes an either or proposition, Snyder does have versatility on his side. Boone still has PS eligibility...but if he comes close to making the roster, word will spread and he could get plucked. Let the competition begin...

Neither has Snyder. Boon was also a better prospect coming out of school.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Hopefully Boone will be our back up, I'm willing to give him a chance. We know Snyder struggles in pass protection, so no reason to keep him around much longer.

Maybe at OG
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think Snyder will make the team as a verstile back up. Boone will be placed on the practice squad for one more year.

Snyder is very close to the other OL and will be hard for Sing to cut this year.

Originally posted by cools:
I would guess that the Niners keep 10 OL this year
and Snyder and Boone both make it

Sims and Baas are probably playing thier last season as Niners
so i think they need to protect Boone for the future, even if just as future depth, and keep Snyder around as the utility OT/OG

Prease don't cut Raggy
Snyder is worse than Mark Roman
I don't want to see Wragge cut. He always gets the first call at OC when Heitmann is injured, and Wragge is a decent OC or OG.

I would easily keep Boone over Snyder. The only spot that Snyder has looked remotely decent at was RG (briefly last year) and at LT (prior years). Boone's problem was foot and lateral quickness. Word is, that since the body transformation, both have improved. Great news.

LT = Joe Staley - Sims vs Snyder (loser gets cut)

LG = Mike Iupati vs David Baas (loser becomes backup)

OC = Eric Heitmann - Tony Wragge

RG = Chilo Rachal - David Baas

RT = Alex Boone vs Anthony Davis (loser becomes backup)

* if somehow, we keep 10, I'd like to hold on to Brian De La Puente this time as our backup LG, should Iupati take the starting spot right away from Baas. DLP impressed me last offseason.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I don't want to see Wragge cut. He always gets the first call at OC when Heitmann is injured, and Wragge is a decent OC or OG.

I would easily keep Boone over Snyder. The only spot that Snyder has looked remotely decent at was RG (briefly last year) and at LT (prior years). Boone's problem was foot and lateral quickness. Word is, that since the body transformation, both have improved. Great news.

LT = Joe Staley - Sims vs Snyder (loser gets cut)

LG = Mike Iupati vs David Baas (loser becomes backup)

OC = Eric Heitmann - Tony Wragge

RG = Chilo Rachal - David Baas

RT = Alex Boone vs Anthony Davis (loser becomes backup)

* if somehow, we keep 10, I'd like to hold on to Brian De La Puente this time as our backup LG, should Iupati take the starting spot right away from Baas. DLP impressed me last offseason.

Good overview, thanks for all of your feedback.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Statistically speaking, Snyder was one of the worst tackles in all of football last year and he hasn't exactly set the league on fire as a guard either. So if it comes down to AS or Boone, you have to give Boone a shot. You literally can't do much worse.

I would agree with this but I do think that we can get away with placing Boone on the practice squad. If Davis is out for a game, would you be comfortable with Boone replacing him? I know I'm not..

-9fA

Let's put it this way...Kwame Harris played better than Snyder did last year. So to answer your question, I'd take Boone over Snyder any day of the week, but only because I'd take ANYONE over Snyder at this point.

Yes, I recant my statement. I don't know what I was thinking.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone