LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Boone vs Snyder

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Boone vs Snyder

Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
i think both will. i think wragge will get cut. the reason being this- boone has way more potential at Tackle and his showing progression. Synder is a solid backup at both Tackle AND Gaurd, but hes at his ceiling. Boone is only a Tackle, but has more physical ability. **The thing here is, Baas will be gone next year. We already have his replacement in Iupati. We need a backup. Synder will be needed next season unless we think we'll draft another Gaurd.

So, in my opinion, I think it's really between Synder and Wragge. And Synder will edge him out due to versatility. I just think it will be hard to let Boone go. I'm sure if he goes to PS, someone else will sign him. And then you have to consider next year- Will Barry Simms still be here? Doubt it. So, it would be nice if Boone was ready to be a direct backup. So, to me, Synder and Boone are both too valuable given that next year Baas will be gone and Simms may be gone. And yes, Baas will be gone. He will get a huge contract with another team. And we won't match it- He just hasn't been that good. Or healthy.

With all due respect, Wragge can play center and both guard positions so he has perhaps more versatility than Snyder, who has demonstrated that he cannot play tackle.
That being said, agree that both Sims and Baas will probably be gone next year so chances are that Snyder will make the team.
Memo to Baas (who was an excellent college center)....start practicing your snaps again ASAP....including the lengthy ones...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
i think both will. i think wragge will get cut. the reason being this- boone has way more potential at Tackle and his showing progression. Synder is a solid backup at both Tackle AND Guard, but he's at his ceiling. Boone is only a Tackle, but has more physical ability. **The thing here is, Baas will be gone next year. We already have his replacement in Iupati. We need a backup. Synder will be needed next season unless we think we'll draft another Guard.

So, in my opinion, I think it's really between Synder and Wragge. And Synder will edge him out due to versatility. I just think it will be hard to let Boone go. I'm sure if he goes to PS, someone else will sign him. And then you have to consider next year- Will Barry Simms still be here? Doubt it. So, it would be nice if Boone was ready to be a direct backup. So, to me, Synder and Boone are both too valuable given that next year Baas will be gone and Simms may be gone. And yes, Baas will be gone. He will get a huge contract with another team. And we won't match it- He just hasn't been that good. Or healthy.

With all due respect, Wragge can play center and both guard positions so he has perhaps more versatility than Snyder, who has demonstrated that he cannot play tackle.
That being said, agree that both Sims and Baas will probably be gone next year so chances are that Snyder will make the team.
Memo to Baas (who was an excellent college center)....start practicing your snaps again ASAP....including the lengthy ones...

[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 4, 2010 at 00:02:49 ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
hopefully neither
who would we put on our OL to have a full 9 man line without either of these guys?

jamarcus russell

good one...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Synder is horrible at guard and tackle.

Starters-Staley/Iupati/Heitman/Rachal/Davis
reserves- Sims/Baas/Boone

[ Edited by Hopper on May 4, 2010 at 01:00:17 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Statistically speaking, Snyder was one of the worst tackles in all of football last year and he hasn't exactly set the league on fire as a guard either. So if it comes down to AS or Boone, you have to give Boone a shot. You literally can't do much worse.

I have to agree he has been pretty damn poor at both positions. Hopefully Boone's new work out regimen and diet can pay off when the pads go back on. Snyder has definitely been a liability.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by soao:
Snyder has versatility in every position on the line except center. The problem is that he's equally terrible in every position.

A little better at guard.

I think it safe to say that the Snyder at OT experiment is over (or should be).
what is the point of Versatility if he sucks
Originally posted by Hopper:
Synder is horrible at guard and tackle.

reserves- Sims/Baas/Boone

reserves- Sims/Wragge/Boone

Wragge has played well (not starter quality) at center and both guard spots, he is not as good as Baas at LG but better at center and RG.
Kinda early to tell about Boone. Just because he transformed his body, doesn't make him a good O-lineman (it's a start; illustartes his desire!). I'm rooting for him though.
Boone!
Younger and much better talent! Snyder had his chance(S).

RT: Davis, Sims, Boone
RG: Rachal, De La Puente
C: Heitmann, Wragge
LG: Iupati, Wragge
LT: Staley, Sims
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Statistically speaking, Snyder was one of the worst tackles in all of football last year and he hasn't exactly set the league on fire as a guard either. So if it comes down to AS or Boone, you have to give Boone a shot. You literally can't do much worse.

I would agree with this but I do think that we can get away with placing Boone on the practice squad. If Davis is out for a game, would you be comfortable with Boone replacing him? I know I'm not..

-9fA

Let's put it this way...Kwame Harris played better than Snyder did last year. So to answer your question, I'd take Boone over Snyder any day of the week, but only because I'd take ANYONE over Snyder at this point.
Hopefully one of them plays well enough that this won't even be a question, but I would easily go with Boone if its close at all.

Sadly, Boone would have to improve a lot over last year just to compete with Snyder. If that happens, than you have to keep the young guy on the upswing over the struggling vet.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Snyder was terrible ot ROT last season. We would have been better off with a scarecrow than Snyder..

I saw the interview with Boone and he looked and sounded great. I hope he makes it to the roster this year. It would a good story considering how screwed he was when he got here.

Sing saves another one. He may have even saved Lawrence Phillips.

Not to mention, Sing walks on water too!

Too bad he couldn't save Snyder though. MS talked him up in the preseason last year and then Snyder proceeded to make him seem a little foolish come actual game performance. I'm sure Singletary has not forgotten.

I'd imagine Singletary would love to see Boone step up and take the position away from Snyder and he will be given every opportunity to do so. We'll see. It'll be an interesting story to follow. Hope it's not a fizzle.

Everybody knew our o-line sucked last year, including Sing. It's no secret he was pushing to get Oher in last years draft. What was he supposed to do, not give the guy a vote of confidence? I'm sure that would have gone over well with the media.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I would guess that the Niners keep 10 OL this year
and Snyder and Boone both make it

Sims and Baas are probably playing thier last season as Niners
so i think they need to protect Boone for the future, even if just as future depth, and keep Snyder around as the utility OT/OG
Share 49ersWebzone