LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Putting Dixon at Fullback

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Putting Dixon at Fullback

Originally posted by WildBill:
If Dixon proves to be a capable player in training camp and can show he can block, I think he would make a good fullback given his size and quickness. This will do several things, one get him playing time and assimilted and the game especially with the linemen, then when he is ready and it is time replace Gore. Woud also be great not knowing if he would get the or if gore got the ball.

I am thinking along the lines of what was done with Roger Craig. Of course Craig did have experience playing FB.

Also it would save a spot on the ros.

If you don't think so, why not.

Just trying to create something to talk about till TC, so don't have a cow!

LOL...thats like saying IF Mike Iupati comes in and he can catch, we should move him to TE because he clearly has the size and strength.

Blocking isn't just a small thing to pick up. Its usually the thing that gets you drafted as a FB. Not too many HB get successfully converted to FB because its not just a matter of being a big guy.

If I recall correctly the only guy I can remember making the switch successfully for the Niners is Fred Beasley, but Beasley was never as good a runner as Dixon is and was drafted with the intent of moving him to FB.
If Dixon proves to be a capable player in training camp and can show he can block, I think he would make a good fullback given his size and quickness. This will do several things, one get him playing time and assimilated and the game especially with the linemen, then when he is ready and it is time replace Gore. Would also be great not knowing if he would get the or if gore got the ball.

I am thinking along the lines of what was done with Roger Craig. Of course Craig did have experience playing FB.

Also it would save a spot on the ros.

If you don't think so, why not.

Just trying to create something to talk about till TC, so don't have a cow!

WildBill, I think your explanation counters the arguments of those against this idea. IF Dixon can block ... Once he (with his good blocking) gets on the field, then defenses won't be able to key on Gore. Some have forgotten that on the Niners, even halfbacks have to be able to block. Remember Kory Sheets?

Obviously, little is yet known of Dixon's abilities on a pro field. But a multi-faceted FB on the field with Gore could be lots of fun.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
why is everyone so obessed with trying people at different position? lol
Must admit that I am one of those who normally hate the idea of drafting players and trying to turn them into something else.

At the same time, just wondering on how you can get your best players on the field. For this discussion not saying this would be a permanent move just to get him in the game. Also on the issue that our FB doesn't carry the ball that much, of course this would/could/should neccessitate a change. Like I mentioned Roger Craig. Of course Raye is so preditable. If he was put in at FB, I would expect him to get some touches, whether it be on a handoff or a swing pass.

So you want the RB to convert to FB so that the FB can run more running plays?
Ok, How about when Dixon comes in, we play with a two FB formation. Him and Norris

And as for getting your best players on the field, there is such a thing as 2 RB formations.
Better yet, convert him to kicker. Then he can get experience on kickoffs and PAT's to spell Nedney when Joe gets tired.

Dixon will not be converted to FB. There's this thing called the 2-back set where you put both your runners in to confuse defenses, particularly with misdirection.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 3, 2010 at 17:02:19 ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
OR we could put Balmer at FB. He could catch passes comming out of the backfield, he did good catching kick offs
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141469
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
why is everyone so obessed with trying people at different position? lol

THIS

THAT

AND THE OTHER

AND THEN SOME!
Dixon is a big, running back. Were going to go with Moran Norris for another year at FB but watch out for Brit Miller.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Can he block, it's really not that easy and more important can he catch? We need a FB that can do both and run a little in short yardage!

Answer: See Jehuu Caulcrick

He is not a bad receiver either
NO! Just back up Frank with him..

Im good with putting Dixon at fullback so long as it is only in certain packages and not on a full time basis. I'm not talking about converting him to be a Norris/Rathman type of fullback because that is something he is not. In certain situations,I think a Dixon and Gore backfield could be effective. I remember seeing the Ravens using McClain and Rice/McGahee in the backfield at the same time and be effective, I don't see why Dixon and Gore could not do the same thing so long as Dixon's blocking ability allows him to see the field.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No that'd be ridiculously stupid because our FB doesn't get carries they just block and this kid has never been a FB before in college, he's been a pounding HB ala Brandon Jacobs which is what we drafted him to be. This is a very stupid idea.

I agree with the emphasized above (not the content or format of the belligerent, semi-untactful verbiage surrounding it). I hope Singletary uses Dixon as the smashmouth battering-ram Dixon's proven he could do well.
Bad idea...we have 3-4 FB's to compete for a roster spot. Dixon is a...TB!! Don't confuse the two...they're totally different. Dixon has far too much running talent to put at FB...with Rathman's coaching, he could be the next Michael Turner...you don't mess with that.
no, he's a tailback.
I say 'yes' only if he's used more like a Roger Craig, Tony Richardson, Robert Delpino type role. (I mention Delpino and Richardson because Jimmy Raye has worked with them).. Maybe that was the idea of getting Le Garrett Blount (jumbo backfield or FB conversion )
Share 49ersWebzone