LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Cornerback

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Corner has become a real concern. Clements is coming off an injury (and wasn't playing all that well pre-injury). Harris' age doesn't concern me a great deal, because he has performed so well at an advanced age, but being up in years and coming off a major knee injury - I question his elasticity. Tarrell Brown has shown glimpses. Spencer isn't a dominate corner, merely a serviceable one. Bly played well - but I suspect that Singletary is having a hand in letting him twist in the wind a bit due to his "Bly being Bly" mentality. When Karl Paymah is the major addition of the offseason at a position of need - concern should be at the ready for every Niner fan.

Pretty much. A lot depends on Nate this year. If he wants to continue to get paid he has to step it up this season. Way up. I agree on Spencer he had a great year last year but I could see him having and average year this year. Hopefully he keeps his play at that level. Brown is still a question mark. And Smith, and Paymah aren't good corner backs.imo. Then you have the possibility of signing a old Harris coming off injury and and old Bly. Hopefully there are some June 1 cuts that this team could get a good veteran to come in and help out this unit. As we stand right now this team has 2 legit starting caliber corners. That's not good at all. Not to mention none of the CB's are speed guys, and the Niners safeties struggle in coverage.
Rumor has it that Patrick Stoudamire's coach at Western Illinois was named Calvin Borel. UDFA, but don't bet against him.

Seriously, I expect the athletic Stoudamire to be in the mix for a Final 53 roster spot, right up to the final cut of TC. Unlike many small school players, he won't be intimidated by the level of competition and his basketball skills will help his ball-hawking in practices and exhibitions. The Smith Brothers (Kevin and Reggie) would each be well-served to sleep with one eye open.

Time will tell.............
  • cools
  • Veteran
Im sure Niner Brass will bring in a CB before we get rollin, but may have to wait for august cuts to upgrade the Paymah/K.Smith spots.
Ive read Stoudamire looked real good over the weekend, but way too early to pencil in UDFA's

I also doubt R.Smith moves back to CB
I think he's our future #3 saftey, though not till Lewis moves on or retires

with this contract, I think Lewis may be a short timer here in SF,
probably one more season to mentor our 3 young safteys

Year Base Salary / Other Bonus
2010 $4,205,000 / $3,600,000
2011 $5,795,000
2012 $6,800,000

contract info from ninercaphell
http://www.ninercaphell.com/roster

[ Edited by cools on May 3, 2010 at 11:22:49 ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by GORO:
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

Tim Brown? Dude's retired and 43 years old.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Actually, it doesn't.

The team drafted Phillip Adams in the 7th round and signed undrafted free agents Patrick Stoudamire and LeRoy Vann.

Harris is coming off an ACL tear at the age of 35. You know how many cornerbacks over the age of 35 are currently employed in the NFL? None.

Age leads me to Dre' Bly, who will turn 33 this season. Was Bly really all that impressive last season? It seems to me that for every play he made, he'd miss a tackle or took a bad angle. No part of resigning Bly seems progressive for the secondary.

Conceivably, I could see Payman playing in dime situations, with Reggie Smith intermixed.

I was impressed with Bly. I thought he looked good and even should have gotten more reps when we were shuffling CB's. I really want for him to be resigned.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Curious as to whether Walt Harris have anything left in his tank after the injury. He might be our starting CB at ... what...40?

Could Walt move to FS for us. Think he would make a good FS.

Goldson has that spot locked down. Harris would be luck to make second string at his age.

I just like his instinct for the ball and experience. Giving him a chance to see what he can do at FS if Goldson goes down with injury.

Yeah we could definitely use some depth. At this point I wouldn't mind resigning both Harris and Bly.
Originally posted by aclarke49:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

Tim Brown? Dude's retired and 43 years old.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Actually, it doesn't.

The team drafted Phillip Adams in the 7th round and signed undrafted free agents Patrick Stoudamire and LeRoy Vann.

Harris is coming off an ACL tear at the age of 35. You know how many cornerbacks over the age of 35 are currently employed in the NFL? None.

Age leads me to Dre' Bly, who will turn 33 this season. Was Bly really all that impressive last season? It seems to me that for every play he made, he'd miss a tackle or took a bad angle. No part of resigning Bly seems progressive for the secondary.

Conceivably, I could see Payman playing in dime situations, with Reggie Smith intermixed.

I was impressed with Bly. I thought he looked good and even should have gotten more reps when we were shuffling CB's. I really want for him to be resigned.
I am for that too, as long as they have a "showboating clause" in his contract.
It's TARELL BROWN NOT "Tim" Brown you f**king idiots.

[ Edited by defenderDX on May 3, 2010 at 12:27:53 ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
It's TARELL BROWN NOT "Tim" Brown you f**king idiots.
Secondary is only as good as it's pass rush. They go hand in hand.
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
I believe its very possible for BOTH Adams and Stoudemire to make the 53 I guess we have to wait and see

Originally posted by aclarke49:

[ Edited by redrathman on May 3, 2010 at 13:30:33 ]
Originally posted by cools:
Im sure Niner Brass will bring in a CB before we get rollin, but may have to wait for august cuts to upgrade the Paymah/K.Smith spots.
Ive read Stoudamire looked real good over the weekend, but way too early to pencil in UDFA's

I also doubt R.Smith moves back to CB
I think he's our future #3 saftey, though not till Lewis moves on or retires

with this contract, I think Lewis may be a short timer here in SF,
probably one more season to mentor our 3 young safteys

Year Base Salary / Other Bonus
2010 $4,205,000 / $3,600,000
2011 $5,795,000
2012 $6,800,000

contract info from ninercaphell
http://www.ninercaphell.com/roster

if reggie smith has been on this team for a few years and is still considered the future #3 safety, its like saying we have to wait about 4 years to get a back up safety
  • rob28
  • Veteran
the cb position is our weakness.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think our corners are gonna have to play well & stay healthy this season.

nice analysis
It might be too late in the game, but are there any serviceable CBs available? (other than UDFA)
Share 49ersWebzone