LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Cornerback

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Or Reggie Smith move back to cornerback would be the next best option. The niners have upgraded at the OL and RS areas but cornerback is not as strong as it was last year.
Tarell Brown, not Tim.
Originally posted by GORO:
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Or Reggie Smith move back to cornerback would be the next best option. The niners have upgraded at the OL and RS areas but cornerback is not as strong as it was last year.

Its all good man...we have Tarell Brown AND now Tim Brown too

Who knew he would come out of Retirement to play CB for the 49ers???

Yeah, right now CB is our biggest need. Clements and Spencer start, Tarell Brown is nickel, then we have Karl Paymah and Keith Smith. If we sign Will James and hopefully Dre Bly those guys should be our 4 and 5 CBs. Paymah should be limited to special teams and Smith shouldn't be on the team.
In fact.. this year more than ever, our pass rush will have to be top notch.
I'm glad we signed brooks..
I think our corners are gonna have to play well & stay healthy this season.
I'm hoping Bly can come back and be the 4th CB, we need experience and playmaking out of our nickel and dime backs, plus quality depth would keep us competitive, I dont wanna see Keith Smith back in the secondary trying to cover #1 and #2 receivers ever again, but we need our corners to stay healthy, an improved pass rush should make them even more effective
I thought Tim Brown was a WR
Curious as to whether Walt Harris have anything left in his tank after the injury. He might be our starting CB at ... what...40?

Could Walt move to FS for us. Think he would make a good FS.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 3, 2010 at 08:53:15 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, right now CB is our biggest need. Clements and Spencer start, Tarell Brown is nickel, then we have Karl Paymah and Keith Smith. If we sign Will James and hopefully Dre Bly those guys should be our 4 and 5 CBs. Paymah should be limited to special teams and Smith shouldn't be on the team.

Smith shouldnot be on our team. And yes it is Tarell or terrell brown and not Tim Brown.

Corner has become a real concern. Clements is coming off an injury (and wasn't playing all that well pre-injury). Harris' age doesn't concern me a great deal, because he has performed so well at an advanced age, but being up in years and coming off a major knee injury - I question his elasticity. Tarrell Brown has shown glimpses. Spencer isn't a dominate corner, merely a servicable one. Bly played well - but I suspect that Singletary is ahving a hand in letting him twist in the wind a bit due to his "Bly being Bly" mentality. When Karl Paymah is the major addition of the offseason at a postion of need - concern should be at the ready for every Niner fan.
o-line being addressed in the draft. I think that cornerback is the new weak point for the niners.

Tim Brown? Dude's retired and 43 years old.

Actually, it doesn't.

The team drafted Phillip Adams in the 7th round and signed undrafted free agents Patrick Stoudamire and LeRoy Vann.

Harris is coming off an ACL tear at the age of 35. You know how many cornerbacks over the age of 35 are currently employed in the NFL? None.

Age leads me to Dre' Bly, who will turn 33 this season. Was Bly really all that impressive last season? It seems to me that for every play he made, he'd miss a tackle or took a bad angle. No part of resigning Bly seems progressive for the secondary.

Conceivably, I could see Payman playing in dime situations, with Reggie Smith intermixed.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Curious as to whether Walt Harris have anything left in his tank after the injury. He might be our starting CB at ... what...40?

Goldson has that spot locked down. Harris would be luck to make second string at his age.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Goldson has that spot locked down. Harris would be luck to make second string at his age.

I just like his instinct for the ball and experience. Giving him a chance to see what he can do at FS if Goldson goes down with injury.
Share 49ersWebzone