There are 204 users in the forums

If Anthony Dixon Can put on 10 lbs of muscle...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why can't he stay the same? He's fine the way he is.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
... he won't make the team.

Dixon will make the team.

If you link up the title to what I wrote, you will determine that I meant if he put on 10 pounds of muscle, he wouldn't make the team. As in, he would be too slow for a RB but lacking the skills to be a FB.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
.. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

Well... last I remember we had to give up the running game in favor of the spread offense to compete... I'd say it's broken.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Dixon will make the team.

If you link up the title to what I wrote, you will determine that I meant if he put on 10 pounds of muscle, he wouldn't make the team. As in, he would be too slow for a RB but lacking the skills to be a FB.

Really? 10 lbs will make him that much slower that he would get cut? You do realize that speed was never his strength in the first place so if he can carry 235 lbs around in the SEC, he won't be a snail at 245. Also, why can't he gain the skills to be a FB? Do you remember when we the last time we drafted an oversized slow RB from the SEC in the later rounds? Rathman made him into a pro bowl FB. His name was Fred Beasley. I'm not saying he will be either but we do have to think of upgrading our FB position and improving our short yardage situations.
I'm not sure about him being a true FB, but it would be crazy to have him and Gore on the field at the same time, especially since Dixon apparently has some quality hands. Oh yeah and so does Gore.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by LJPunk5218:

R u serious? Watch some clips of the guy play, hes a beast and athletic. He will make Singletary wet himself, and not with urine.

I just want to go slow about this stuff. Someone bumped the training camp thread from last year and I read the last page... there was A LOT of cock gobbling for Coffee and how he's "a sure thing" and a "beast" etc etc. Needless to say, I'll reserve my judgment until TC/Preseason to see if he makes the team. Coffee was sick in college, too.

Coffee was great in pre-season last year too and he still sucked when it counted.
I think he's fine right where he is...he's not a FB, he's a TB. Much as we all love Gore, one injury can sideline him for weeks, maybe even the season. Dixon has the tools to be another Michael Turner...and that's something you don't mess with.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by LJPunk5218:

R u serious? Watch some clips of the guy play, hes a beast and athletic. He will make Singletary wet himself, and not with urine.

I just want to go slow about this stuff. Someone bumped the training camp thread from last year and I read the last page... there was A LOT of cock gobbling for Coffee and how he's "a sure thing" and a "beast" etc etc. Needless to say, I'll reserve my judgment until TC/Preseason to see if he makes the team. Coffee was sick in college, too.

Is this kind of terminology really necessary to get your point across? We've gone from 'jumping on the bandwagon' to "riding his jock' now to "cock gobbling"?

Geesh...
CHAMPIONSHIP.

-9fA
No.

Anthony Dixon will be a Halfback, not a Fullback.

Floyd was dominant in college as a Fullback. He wasn't converted into one at the pro level. All of these clips I'm seeing of are very impressive, but the #1 most important thing as a Fullback is BLOCKING. I haven't seen any footage of him throwing a lead block or picking up a blitz.

That doesn't mean he can't do it, but lets just slow down a bit before we call him "Bar None". ;-)

Originally posted by Marvin49:
No.

Floyd was dominant in college as a Fullback. He wasn't converted into one at the pro level. All of these clips I'm seeing of are very impressive, but the #1 most important thing as a Fullback is BLOCKING. I haven't seen any footage of him throwing a lead block or picking up a blitz.

That doesn't mean he can't do it, but lets just slow down a bit before we call him "Bar None". ;-)

You do realize that Lorenzo Neal, arguably the best FB in the league for the past 10 years was a converted RB. I'm not saying he will be close to that kind of FB or even Floyd's level at FB, but IMHO I think he has an easier chance of becoming an elite FB than an elite RB. BTW, blocking is a skill that can be coached especially when our RB coach was a successful fullback.
I look at Dixon being more of a 2002 version of Kevan Barlow who was a great compliment to Garrison Hearst and I think Dixon can be a great compliment to Gore. Remember, Barlow ran hard that year and was a 6'1" 235pd running back. Dixon is pretty much the same height-weight and I think he can not only be a very effective and useful goal-line and short yardage back; But also just help give Gore some valuable rest and help punish defenses. I can envision Dixon getting 8-10 carries a game.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
No.

You do realize that Lorenzo Neal, arguably the best FB in the league for the past 10 years was a converted RB. I'm not saying he will be close to that kind of FB or even Floyd's level at FB, but IMHO I think he has an easier chance of becoming an elite FB than an elite RB. BTW, blocking is a skill that can be coached especially when our RB coach was a successful fullback.

You should take over Jimmy "Mummy" Raye's job.... I thought susswel knew everything......
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
No.

Greg Jones. and isn't the ravens Fb also converted. also the old denver teams swap fb for rb and still managed to have 1000!
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:
hes gonna be a scrub just like most of the picks that come out of these later rounds

NO WAY DUDE!!
Share 49ersWebzone