LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Crazy Idea- but it just may work

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by WillisGoldson:
I was a long snapper in high school, recruited to UCLA to do said job (blew out my shoulder before senior year and lost my zip). I will say that this idea is not a bad one. The LS is generally the first guy down because he doesn't have to deal with a blocker and he can take a straight line to a punter. My back-up was also the back-up QB, and he had natural ability because he could actually throw the football. It's not that different, except that you are also putting downward force on the ball to control with your off hand.

I think you should give the guy a break. His logic is actually sound. Unlike people suggesting they should try Davis as a punter. Think before you type.

THANK YOU

This guy has no street cred. Its his first post and it wouldnt shock me if that was you talking to youself!

Post numbers are like facebook friends: the more you have does not make your experience or viewpoint any more or less credible. I'm not saying I would do it, because Jennings gets the job done every time, and its an underrated component of the game. But trust me, its a natural skill that a person with QB experience will likely have, but has never actually explored. I'm just saying the dude is thinking outside the box and shouldn't be killed for it, especially when his end goal is for the betterment of the team.

Taking a guy that just signed an extension last year through 2013 and basically cutting him is better for the team how? The idea alone makes this team considerably worse.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Ok, so even before posting this I know many of you are going to freak out at the idea. But with the drafting of dixon and Norris being our starting FB, fan favorite Michael Robinson's days in sf may be numbered. My idea is to try Michael Robinson at long snapper. RELAX. I understand he is undersized but he weighs as much as Brian Jennings, and wouldn't be overly small for the position. The seahawks backup longsnapper is 180 pounds. I also understand that Jennings is very good and has helped lee get to the pro bowl and has been once himself, but how nice would it be to have a LS who could contribute in more ways than one. He's an amazing personality in the locker room and is a talented enough athlete to learn how to do it. I know it is farfetched but let me know what you think.

My problem is Anthony Dixon put up 3994 yards and 42 TDs in 4 years in the SEC. Pretty damn good numbers to turn him into a fullback. Agree?

The Ravens are using McClain who is similiar as a FB and that seems to work. Remember Roger Craig was a FB for Wendell Tyler before he became an RB.
this is a stupid idea, and will never work.

has M.Rob ever long snapped. and by the way Jennings is very good at what he does, why would you want to mess that up. it wouldnt sound as stupid if m.rob knew how to long snap, but he doesnt.

I was a long snapper in high school, recruited to UCLA to do said job (blew out my shoulder before senior year and lost my zip). I will say that this idea is not a bad one. The LS is generally the first guy down because he doesn't have to deal with a blocker and he can take a straight line to a punter. My back-up was also the back-up QB, and he had natural ability because he could actually throw the football. It's not that different, except that you are also putting downward force on the ball to control with your off hand.

I think you should give the guy a break. His logic is actually sound. Unlike people suggesting they should try Davis as a punter. Think before you type.

THANK YOU

This guy has no street cred. Its his first post and it wouldnt shock me if that was you talking to youself!

Post numbers are like facebook friends: the more you have does not make your experience or viewpoint any more or less credible. I'm not saying I would do it, because Jennings gets the job done every time, and its an underrated component of the game. But trust me, its a natural skill that a person with QB experience will likely have, but has never actually explored. I'm just saying the dude is thinking outside the box and shouldn't be killed for it, especially when his end goal is for the betterment of the team.

Taking a guy that just signed an extension last year through 2013 and basically cutting him is better for the team how? The idea alone makes this team considerably worse.

You're the first person to cite Jennings' contract as a problem for the idea. That alone is a deterent, so I have been silenced on that front. I still think its actually not a bad idea. I've been around long snapping for a while, and I will say that you would be surprised who can do it very easily. You can't hate on the guy for trying to come up with something more creative than an Alex Smith bash.

[ Edited by guillotine31 on Apr 30, 2010 at 13:14:03 ]
Hey guys Mike Ditka here, I have this crazy idea to trade away all my draft picks for Ricky Williams and then guarantee a Super Bowl. Guys, I know it sounds crazy but hear me out, it just.....might....

THANK YOU

You're the first person to cite Jennings' contract as a problem for the idea. That alone is a deterent, so I have been silenced on that front. I still think its actually not a bad idea. I've been around long snapping for a while, and I will say that you would be surprised who can do it very easily. You can't hate on the guy for trying to come up with something more creative than an Alex Smith bash.

That is true, but its still a very bad idea imo!
Wow this is beyond stupid. Why not teach Heitmann to do it and cut both of them. Go in your backyard and try to long snap. When your done making even more of a fool of yourself you will see its not easy. Jennings has probably been a LS since PeeWee football. Cant just decide you want to LS a few months before the season starts.
Ok, so even before posting this I know many of you are going to freak out at the idea. But with the drafting of dixon and Norris being our starting FB, fan favorite Michael Robinson's days in sf may be numbered. My idea is to try Michael Robinson at long snapper. RELAX. I understand he is undersized but he weighs as much as Brian Jennings, and wouldn't be overly small for the position. The seahawks backup longsnapper is 180 pounds. I also understand that Jennings is very good and has helped lee get to the pro bowl and has been once himself, but how nice would it be to have a LS who could contribute in more ways than one. He's an amazing personality in the locker room and is a talented enough athlete to learn how to do it. I know it is farfetched but let me know what you think.

youre retarded. jennings is the best in the leauge as a long snapper, and you suggest letting someone else TRY it? its not like hes just as good. he has ZERO experience. have YOU ever tried doing a long snap? its HARD. especially if you dont have experience.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
32 teams in the league and not one of them have figured it out that they don't need a specific player to longsnap, cause I guess anyone can do it.

[ Edited by KID9R on Apr 30, 2010 at 14:41:24 ]

• WillisGoldson
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KID9R:
32 teams in the league and not one of them have figured it out that they don't need a specific player to longsnap, cause I guess anyone can do it.

Eagles long snapper Jon Dorenbos was asked as a JC player if he could long snap. AT THE TIME HE WAS A FULLBACK, LIKE MROB. He never had but watched some videos, was able to make a college team and play in the NFL. Giants LS Zak DeOssie was an NFL linebacker, when their LS got injured and he was able to quickly learn and become the teams long-term answer. You guys have no idea what your talking about
Originally posted by MaliCali:
why even come up with this idea?

are you going to call singletary and tell him about it?

wow guy...

Hahah. Relax buddy, I "came up with this" because just like everyone on this forum at 10:50 am, I'm bored at work, and wanted to throw out an idea with other real 49er fans and have a discussion. Starting thinking outside the box. And if your issue with this post is that I'm not going to be able to tell sing than why follow football or the draft? We don't get to set rosters or make draftpicks or coach games on Sunday. Were fans wholove the team and love talking football. That's why.

also, you have no idea what you are talking about.

that too.
How the f**k did I miss this thread
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
NO.
Share 49ersWebzone