There are 177 users in the forums

Crazy Idea- but it just may work

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dominate:
Why dont I take my honda and enter it in a drag race. Its a crazy idea, but it just might not work!

dude i drive a scion xa don't even step brah

Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Why dont I take my honda and enter it in a drag race. Its a crazy idea, but it just might not work!

dude i drive a scion xa don't even step brah

Bro, dont make me pull my 87 civic out of the garage that hasnt run in over 5 years.
  • WillisGoldson
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Micky6:
Originally posted by WillisGoldson:
Ok, so even before posting this I know many of you are going to freak out at the idea. But with the drafting of dixon and Norris being our starting FB, fan favorite Michael Robinson's days in sf may be numbered. My idea is to try Michael Robinson at long snapper. RELAX. I understand he is undersized but he weighs as much as Brian Jennings, and wouldn't be overly small for the position. The seahawks backup longsnapper is 180 pounds. I also understand that Jennings is very good and has helped lee get to the pro bowl and has been once himself, but how nice would it be to have a LS who could contribute in more ways than one. He's an amazing personality in the locker room and is a talented enough athlete to learn how to do it. I know it is farfetched but let me know what you think.

Brian Jennings is known the league over as being the best long snapper in the business. Robinson has never done it. Why would you think that this is a good move. Furthermore, why do you think that Robinson's days are numbered? He's a captain on
Special Teams... meaning that he plays every game, and sees the field more that Norris (at least by the end of last year). Dixon will be hard pressed to make the
team... Jennings and Robinson are locks. I don't mean to take a strip off the poster...
but people on this board will/and likely have taken you to task without thinking
through your post.

it's been thought through. With Robinson moving to longsnapper he could still be special teams captain and still cover kickoffs. Secondly our Robinson aging special teams coverage teams will not be on the field even close to as much as our starting FB, especially in our new run first offense. Next, I guarentee dixon makes the team. Coffee was horrific as gore's backup and they have too similar a style. Dixon is 230 and a hard north south runner who will better compliment gores style. As far as Jennings being good, I understand he is good and I'm not saying cut him for robinson out of the blue, I'm saying teat Robinson out at the position, and he's showing some ability and growth make the switch.
http://www.mynorthwest.com/index.php?nid=275&sid=259931
there is a 180 pound cornerback, who was able to do it perfectly. I think he can figure it out.

So Kelly Jennings snaps once in a blow out when Seattle's long snapper gets hurt and now it's realistic to consider Michael Robinson as the primary long snapper, despite having zero experience in his career?

The article stated Jennings had been practicing once a week for two seasons, in addition to his experience in High School and College.

Also to note, Jennings isn't the full time long snapper, but the back up.

Finally, Jennings himself said it best:

Quote:
"It's harder than you think," Jennings said. "It has to be perfect every time. If not, it's a turnover or worse."
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Fale
Ok, so even before posting this I know many of you are going to freak out at the idea. But with the drafting of dixon and Norris being our starting FB, fan favorite Michael Robinson's days in sf may be numbered. My idea is to try Michael Robinson at long snapper. RELAX. I understand he is undersized but he weighs as much as Brian Jennings, and wouldn't be overly small for the position. The seahawks backup longsnapper is 180 pounds. I also understand that Jennings is very good and has helped lee get to the pro bowl and has been once himself, but how nice would it be to have a LS who could contribute in more ways than one. He's an amazing personality in the locker room and is a talented enough athlete to learn how to do it. I know it is farfetched but let me know what you think.

Brian Jennings is known the league over as being the best long snapper in the business. Robinson has never done it. Why would you think that this is a good move. Furthermore, why do you think that Robinson's days are numbered? He's a captain on
Special Teams... meaning that he plays every game, and sees the field more that Norris (at least by the end of last year). Dixon will be hard pressed to make the
team... Jennings and Robinson are locks. I don't mean to take a strip off the poster...
but people on this board will/and likely have taken you to task without thinking
through your post.

it's been thought through. With Robinson moving to longsnapper he could still be special teams captain and still cover kickoffs. Secondly our Robinson aging special teams coverage teams will not be on the field even close to as much as our starting FB, especially in our new run first offense. Next, I guarentee dixon makes the team. Coffee was horrific as gore's backup and they have too similar a style. Dixon is 230 and a hard north south runner who will better compliment gores style. As far as Jennings being good, I understand he is good and I'm not saying cut him for robinson out of the blue, I'm saying teat Robinson out at the position, and he's showing some ability and growth make the switch.

If he becomes a long snapper then you are taking away from what made him the ST captain to begin with. The ability to cover kick returns.
  • WillisGoldson
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by redrathman:
there is a 180 pound cornerback, who was able to do it perfectly. I think he can figure it out.

So Kelly Jennings snaps once in a blow out when Seattle's long snapper gets hurt and now it's realistic to consider Michael Robinson as the primary long snapper, despite having zero experience in his career?

The article stated Jennings had been practicing once a week for two seasons, in addition to his experience in High School and College.

Quote:
"It's harder than you think," Jennings said. "It has to be perfect every time. If not, it's a turnover or worse."

For the millionth time. I'm saying try him out to see if we can maximize our 53 man roster and if it doesn't work, which it very well wouldn't, then it's Jennings as usual and everything is fine. I don't quite understand none of your willingness to try to maximize the potential of every player on the squad. Even if that means projects and trial and error.
  • WillisGoldson
  • Info N/A

through your post.

it's been thought through. With Robinson moving to longsnapper he could still be special teams captain and still cover kickoffs. Secondly our Robinson aging special
teams coverage teams will not be on the field even close to as much as our starting FB, especially in our new run first offense. Next, I guarentee dixon makes the team.
Coffee was horrific as gore's backup and they have too similar a style. Dixon is 230 and a hard north south runner who will better compliment gores style. As far as
Jennings being good, I understand he is good and I'm not saying cut him for robinson out of the blue, I'm saying teat Robinson out at the position, and he's showing some
ability and growth make the switch.

If he becomes a long snapper then you are taking away from what made him the ST
captain to begin with. The ability to cover kick returns.

no no no. As I have stated he can play LS and cover kicks. He played option QB in college he can take the beating.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Quote:

For the millionth time. I'm saying try him out to see if we can maximize our 53 man roster and if it doesn't work, which it very well wouldn't, then it's Jennings as usual and everything is fine. I don't quite understand none of your willingness to try to maximize the potential of every player on the squad. Even if that means projects and trial and error.

While we're at it we can try Nate Davis out at punter, Brandon Jones at kicker, and David Baas as the holder.
  • WillisGoldson
  • Info N/A
TJD do you really think they are comparable. This is an athletic fullback with experience switching positions.

By this reasoning, Singletary should try Nate Davis out at Safety. If it doesn't work out, no problem, right? Except Davis doesn't get as many reps in practice. The same would occur with Robinson and Jennings if things didn't work out.

Even in the unlikely situation that Robinson had success at long snapper, would you possibly risk points by cutting a proven Pro Bowl commodity in Jennings?

All over one roster spot?

I'd rather have the professional out there than a player with less than one off season.

through your post.

it's been thought through. With Robinson moving to longsnapper he could still be special teams captain and still cover kickoffs. Secondly our Robinson aging special
teams coverage teams will not be on the field even close to as much as our starting FB, especially in our new run first offense. Next, I guarentee dixon makes the team.
Coffee was horrific as gore's backup and they have too similar a style. Dixon is 230 and a hard north south runner who will better compliment gores style. As far as
Jennings being good, I understand he is good and I'm not saying cut him for robinson out of the blue, I'm saying teat Robinson out at the position, and he's showing some
ability and growth make the switch.

If he becomes a long snapper then you are taking away from what made him the ST
captain to begin with. The ability to cover kick returns.

no no no. As I have stated he can play LS and cover kicks. He played option QB in college he can take the beating.

NO NO NO!

How is he supposed to get a clean release to run down field snapping the ball? He has to stay in and block the lineman rushing in.

This is why you dont even take a chance when it come to Long snappers.

I was a long snapper in high school, recruited to UCLA to do said job (blew out my shoulder before senior year and lost my zip). I will say that this idea is not a bad one. The LS is generally the first guy down because he doesn't have to deal with a blocker and he can take a straight line to a punter. My back-up was also the back-up QB, and he had natural ability because he could actually throw the football. It's not that different, except that you are also putting downward force on the ball to control with your off hand.

I think you should give the guy a break. His logic is actually sound. Unlike people suggesting they should try Davis as a punter. Think before you type.
To add: the logic to consider the idea is sound. Whether he can execute, nobody knows.
Share 49ersWebzone