LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

49ers cowboys Nov. 1995

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gets me mad to go back to this era. We should have at least ONE more Super Bowl in that period.

So many playoff losses to the Packers and Cowboys...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Gets me mad to go back to this era. We should have at least ONE more Super Bowl in that period.

ya its tough cus i believe we all feel like the real battle was just getting to the super bowl, after that it would have been academic cus we always score a s**t ton of points in the big game
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
1995 - Year 1 of the GB jinx. I f**king hate that franchise; we had Dallas completely beat at this point.

the most hated chant in 49er franchise history:

Fack that.

as a 49ers AND Bulls fan in the mid-late 90's nothing was more hated than hearing several thousand white people chanting "GO, PACK/JAZZ, GO" preceded by that cheesy (pun intended) bass/guitar riff....
Originally posted by crabman82:

ya its tough cus i believe we all feel like the real battle was just getting to the super bowl, after that it would have been academic cus we always score a s**t ton of points in the big game

yeah, pretty much the problem in the 90's was trying to find a perfect balance between offense and defense (i think Bill Walsh's guidance and draft/management skills were SORELY missed).

in the early-mid 90's the offense was explosive(consistently leading the league) but the defense was aging :

1990 - 3-peat FAILED, lost to Giants
1991 - Montana on IR, Craig and Lott to Faiders , Haley goes nuts
1992 - lost to Cowboys
1993 - lost to Cowboys

1994 was when the management pretty much decided to blow up the old defense, sign a ton of free agants before the salary cap went to full effect (eventually hurt down the line). it took a while for the D to gel, but by mid-season the team was clicking on both sides of the ball = SUPER BOWL

by the mid-late 90's the strength of the team had flipped to where the offense showed its age and suffereed most of the key injuries, whereas the defense excelled and shouldered the team:

1995 - Watters gone, Floyd IR, running game suffers, Young injured, defense #2 in League, lost to Packers
1996 - still no running game = lost to Packers
1997 - running game finally found in Hearst, Young AND Rice hurt in season opener=lost to Packers
1998 - everything seemed poised for one last run in the 90's for a Super Bowl, BEAT Packer in playoffs, Hearst injured in first play in Atlanta, lost to Falcons
1999 - Young injured, IR, retired = first losing season since 1982

[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on May 2, 2010 at 15:56:16 ]
The year that hurt the most (for me) was 1997. We were the #1 seed in the playoffs at 13-3 and were dominant throughout.

We dominated Minnesota and got to the NFC Championship...along comes GB who kicks our ass 23-10 with our only TD coming on a kickoff return in the last minutes.

But lets also not forget Jerry Rice (kneecap, not the ligament tear) and Hearst missed those games.

[ Edited by Leathaface on May 2, 2010 at 15:46:25 ]
The year that hurt the most (for me) was 1997. We were the #1 seed in the playoffs at 13-3 and were dominant throughout.

We dominated Minnesota and got to the NFC Championship...along comes GB who kicks our ass 23-10 with our only TD coming on a kickoff return in the last minutes.

But lets also not forget Jerry Rice (kneecap, not the ligament tear) and Hearst missed those games.

Let's also not forget that Jerry's injury came from a Warren Sapp facemask during an end-around hand off.

And can you imagine if Reggie White actually signed with us in the 90's, instead of listening to his wife and signing with Green Bay? White and BY together? My God. We would have had at least 2 or three more Super Bowls.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Let's also not forget that Jerry's injury came from a Warren Sapp facemask during an end-around hand off.

And can you imagine if Reggie White actually signed with us in the 90's, instead of listening to his wife and signing with Green Bay? White and BY together? My God. We would have had at least 2 or three more Super Bowls.

blame that also on the stupid Rooney rule (instigated by Steelers owners) which directly prevented the Niners from signing White in 93/93 and pretty much paved the road to the salary cap in the 90's... f***king Steelers were probably jealous of all the Super Bowls the Niners were winning...now they have 6
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
1995 - Year 1 of the GB jinx. I f**king hate that franchise; we had Dallas completely beat at this point.

the most hated chant in 49er franchise history:

Yeah it blows being in that stadium watching the Packers beat up my Niners, getting ribbed by the home team fans, and then listening to the entire stadium just rock with that chant. I could feel the vibrations from it in my seat. Then having the stands go nuts howling at TO when he was complaining for not getting a TD call on what was clearly a push out of bounds in the end zone.

Almost as bad is at the Bears games (Watched the Niners lose there 2 years straight). The announcer says "There's a time out" The crowd goes "WHERE?" The announcer goes "On the field" The Crowd goes "OOoooo" like they are disappointed. Every time there's a timeout of any sort.

I never got it.
I remember when Merton Hanks busted out that funky chicken dance during this game! I was 11 years old at the time. Ahhhh, the memories!
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
Originally posted by crabman82:

yeah, pretty much the problem in the 90's was trying to find a perfect balance between offense and defense (i think Bill Walsh's guidance and draft/management skills were SORELY missed).

in the early-mid 90's the offense was explosive(consistently leading the league) but the defense was aging :

1990 - 3-peat FAILED, lost to Giants
1991 - Montana on IR, Craig and Lott to Faiders , Haley goes nuts
1992 - lost to Cowboys
1993 - lost to Cowboys

1994 was when the management pretty much decided to blow up the old defense, sign a ton of free agants before the salary cap went to full effect (eventually hurt down the line). it took a while for the D to gel, but by mid-season the team was clicking on both sides of the ball = SUPER BOWL

by the mid-late 90's the strength of the team had flipped to where the offense showed its age and suffereed most of the key injuries, whereas the defense excelled and shouldered the team:

1995 - Watters gone, Floyd IR, running game suffers, Young injured, defense #2 in League, lost to Packers
1996 - still no running game = lost to Packers
1997 - running game finally found in Hearst, Young AND Rice hurt in season opener=lost to Packers
1998 - everything seemed poised for one last run in the 90's for a Super Bowl, BEAT Packer in playoffs, Hearst injured in first play in Atlanta, lost to Falcons
1999 - Young injured, IR, retired = first losing season since 1982

i also remember garrison hearst breaking his collerbone in 1997 and returning for the nfc title game, but basically didnt do anything

Share 49ersWebzone