LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Do you feel that the Yorks are cheap?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you feel that the Yorks are cheap?

I've frequently read posts complaining about the Yorks. One common theme that I've noticed in the posts is how they're cheap, how they won't pay for a top HC, top front office personnel etc. etc.

So, I ask, do YOU think that the Yorks are cheap and if so, what exactly is this opinion based upon?

-9fA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
In the beginning they were cheap, now their alot better.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
We'll find out very soon. We have to re-sign - Vernon, Lawson, Goldson, Willis, and Franklin in the next year or so. Outside of Lawson, they NEED to sign those other players.
Now that Jed is in control, it's not as bad. Because he's their baby, he can spend mom and pop's money with a little more ease.
Excluding draft picks (because they're paid according to the slot they were drafted in), I'd say The Yorks have shown more than willingness to cut the check. All the following FA's were paid above market value for their position:

Ahmed Plummer, Shawntae Spencer, Jonas Jennings, Frank Gore, Nate Clements, Justin Smith, Aubrayo Franklin, Andy Lee, Brandon Jones ....and that's just going off memory.

The Yorks may be a lot of things, but cheap isn't one (anymore at least).
Not really. I mean look at how much they shelled out for Nate Clements. Justin Smith also received a nice pay check.

I think they just don't bring in enough people but that maybe more of the GM than anything. I'm just glad they decided to let Jed run things now. He seems to be doing better than his father.
I would say currently at the moment no.

They've cut checks for big name free agents as already mentioned. Also they did a major remodel to the team's facilities last year and are currently spending the money to get approval for a stadium to get built which are moves you wouldn't expect from penny pinchers.

Also you may question Jed's ability but I do believe he has an honest desire to build the 49ers into a top notch winning organization. So with him in control I think he wouldn't hesitate to spend money if need be.
I think people have to realize that we're not a big revenue team. The Yorks have spent money 2 out of the last 4 offseasons. They can't do it every season. Especially with Willis, Davis, and Franklyn contract coming up.
Share 49ersWebzone