LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

Originally posted by Walsh:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Walsh:
Right now our talent at Tight End looks like this Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham, J.J. Finely, Tony Curtis. Not too impressive.

But assuming Crabtree and Morgan are starting then the competition for that 3rd spot looks like this J. Hill, Kyle Williams, Jared Perry, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Shay Hodge, Ted Ginn, Jr., Brandon Jones, and Scott Long.

Personally, I think Ginn wins the 3rd spot and spreads out opponents defenses and D. Walker can sit this season out.

I don't understand your question. Are you talking about when they remove the FB and place a 2nd TE, they should place a WR instead?

You could, but the 2nd TE can also serve as an H back, adding more omph if you are going to run, or pull up people into the box so that receivers and VD can get more cushion. Not to mention the pass protection is better served with both the 2nd TE and Gore serving as swing backs coming out of the backfield.

We are not going to full blown run and shoot. We'll mix it up between a spread and conventional pro set.

Yep, more pro set. The 2nd TE pulling the defense to the line is exactly the problem. Get a 3rd wide out with speed that defenses worry will get behind them. It pulls guys off the line and opens things up for Gore. It's not like we have a Vernon Davis clone in Walker. He doesn't do all the things that Davis can do.

You're right about the pass protection. We had to use it last year to help keep Smith off his back. Hopefully Anthony Davis and Iupati solve that problem. Tjd said it best. The TE set is just a slow formation. I think this is the year we have the talent on the line and at WR to do a lot more offensively. We'd better not have drafted 2 offensive line guys in the first to do the exact same thing we did last year. More speed, more unpredictability, more snaps under center, more time for our qb, better run blocking, more scoring!

I don't think anyone is saying that we should make the 2-TE set our base set... but I think it'd be nice to use it once in a while and catch the defense off-guard and just throw a bunch of formations, motions, and audibles at them.

It would probably work better with Crabs and Ginn out there... you'd have one great route runner, two guys that can spread the field in Ginn and Davis (and probably a mismatch on Davis) and a pretty decent pass-catching TE in D-Love, and don't forget a good pass-catching RB in Gore. I think with Iupati and Davis on the line now, our run game could still be effective with a Walker/Davis leading the way for Gore.
I think we'll see less of the 2 TE set when we actually have proven recievers. Just last year Morgan started the season as our number 1, enough said.

I'm hoping we can cut half our WR squad. We dont need 7 WR, 4 which never see the field.
Share 49ersWebzone