LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

Looks like a pretty impressive TE group to me.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mighty9ers:
i totally disagree. Love Walker and we need to continue to use him. He is great in the 2 TE set. I would like to see him play more Hback and line up in the back field. not taking hand offs. but blocking and catching passes, which he can do quite well

Walker sucks. When has he ever done anything?

sandiego charger... I mean 49er, as I recall . Everytime delanie has gotten the ball in his hands I've seen him make something out of it, he just seems to always miss breaking it big for the score. His time will come where he will become a threat for this team, you wait and see.

The guy has 2 career toucdowns and 233 yards is the highest output he's totalled over his career. Adding into the fact that he doesn't contribute much in terms of blocking I just don't see the 'zones mad love for this guy, He seems easily replaceable. I like the two TE set, but lets draft a real TE before we use it a lot.

I agree. I was hoping that we would draft a TE this year that can both catch and block but it wasn't meant to be. I really didn't see this many people disagreeing with me given the guy isn't a great blocker and has low production after a number of seasons. I like the 2 TE set in theory but it just hasn't done much. It's pretty predictable for opposing teams now. At least another wide out would open up the box more for Gore.

Walker just seems well covered half the time we run this set. Sorry but I think teams are wise to it and it shortens the field.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Walsh:
Right now our talent at Tight End looks like this Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham, J.J. Finely, Tony Curtis. Not too impressive.

But assuming Crabtree and Morgan are starting then the competition for that 3rd spot looks like this J. Hill, Kyle Williams, Jared Perry, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Shay Hodge, Ted Ginn, Jr., Brandon Jones, and Scott Long.

Personally, I think Ginn wins the 3rd spot and spreads out opponents defenses and D. Walker can sit this season out.

What exactly has Ginn done as a WR except play so badly that the Dolphins were willing to let a former top 10 pick go for a 5th round pick notwithstanding that he is one of the better return guys in the league?
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:
Right now our talent at Tight End looks like this Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham, J.J. Finely, Tony Curtis. Not too impressive.

But assuming Crabtree and Morgan are starting then the competition for that 3rd spot looks like this J. Hill, Kyle Williams, Jared Perry, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Shay Hodge, Ted Ginn, Jr., Brandon Jones, and Scott Long.

Personally, I think Ginn wins the 3rd spot and spreads out opponents defenses and D. Walker can sit this season out.

What exactly has Ginn done as a WR except play so badly that the Dolphins were willing to let a former top 10 pick go for a 5th round pick notwithstanding that he is one of the better return guys in the league?

It's more that I'm excited about the number of bodies that we have competing for one spot on the team. I'm not really married to Ginn. I just think that we have so much competition for that one spot in the slot that someone is going to bust out and take some playing time from Walker. I said Ginn cuz of his nfl experience and speed. I think part of his problem before was his relatively small size. Maybe that gets worked out now that he's not in the #1 spot.
I like the 2 TE set but I'd rather Byham play over Walker if he can actually block. That would give us the real pass or is it a run? threat that we supposedly want. Because you could still send out 4 recievers, the 2 wideouts, VD, and Gore. Or you could have a play action pass with Smith faking it to Gore and Gore and Byham blocking, while VD goes on one of his seam routes and maybe Ginn running a go also? Basically we could really use the 2 TE set to trick people now that we have a legit blocker.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Man, I wish we had a more offensive minded coordinator that could embrace our talent, and a QB that could take command and not look like a deer in the headlights. Seriously, we have some unique players that could create mismatches for everyone.

You figure D-Love has been a TE long enough that he should be a somewhat decent blocker by now. And we know both DLove and Davis got the speed to line up wide.

I don't know how feasible this is, but just imagine if we ran a 2-WR (Crabs, Morgan/Ginn), 2-TE (Davis, Walker) formation with Gore in the backfield... we could run pretty much any formation we want, we can split either DLove or Davis out wide and run a 3WR formation with the other lined up either at TE or at FB, we can rotate them one at TE and one at FB and run an I-formation, we can split them both out wide and run a 4-WR formation... and we can do all this in a no-huddle offense, we won't let the defense sub in anyone, they're gonna have to play the pass off of their run D. The possibilities for creative plays are endless!

I think Alex has the smarts to handle and adjust such an offense, I really wish we would implement something like this. And up until now, I didn't think we had the o-line to run such crazy shenanigans, but with our revamped line, I think it could totally work!

*sigh* I can only dream, I guess...

any thoughts on my day dreaming post?
i dont get the hate for delanie walker, he has made plays when he has been given the ball, ppl can complain about him not being "clutch", but we just spent 3 years paying our #1 tight end elite money and watching him drop passes jump offside get injured and get kicked off the field during a game, by his own coach no less. point being it took VD 3 years of starting to figure it out, i dont think walker is on the field enough to get the proper expierience
Man, I wish we had a more offensive minded coordinator that could embrace our talent, and a QB that could take command and not look like a deer in the headlights. Seriously, we have some unique players that could create mismatches for everyone.

You figure D-Love has been a TE long enough that he should be a somewhat decent blocker by now. And we know both DLove and Davis got the speed to line up wide.

I don't know how feasible this is, but just imagine if we ran a 2-WR (Crabs, Morgan/Ginn), 2-TE (Davis, Walker) formation with Gore in the backfield... we could run pretty much any formation we want, we can split either DLove or Davis out wide and run a 3WR formation with the other lined up either at TE or at FB, we can rotate them one at TE and one at FB and run an I-formation, we can split them both out wide and run a 4-WR formation... and we can do all this in a no-huddle offense, we won't let the defense sub in anyone, they're gonna have to play the pass off of their run D. The possibilities for creative plays are endless!

I think Alex has the smarts to handle and adjust such an offense, I really wish we would implement something like this. And up until now, I didn't think we had the o-line to run such crazy shenanigans, but with our revamped line, I think it could totally work!

*sigh* I can only dream, I guess...

any thoughts on my day dreaming post?

i am not sure 2 rookie OLinemen could take it. but i would love to see us run more of a no huddle offense.
Originally posted by kem99:

He only has the best statistical year of any wr on the team.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I like the 2 TE set but I'd rather Byham play over Walker if he can actually block. That would give us the real pass or is it a run? threat that we supposedly want. Because you could still send out 4 recievers, the 2 wideouts, VD, and Gore. Or you could have a play action pass with Smith faking it to Gore and Gore and Byham blocking, while VD goes on one of his seam routes and maybe Ginn running a go also? Basically we could really use the 2 TE set to trick people now that we have a legit blocker.

Yeah, a TE that can actually block would have my vote as well. I really liked Byham's combine. Looked like a great blocker and great hands on the short/fast throws. He missed all the rainbow passes but we've really missed having blocking. Right now, Norris can only block and Walker can only catch so if Byham proves to do enough of both to get some playing time that would be awesome. He's the biggest TE on the team too.268lbs (Actually read it for real this time)

no way i love walker he may not get a lot of catches but he is a YAC machine after he catches the ball it always seems like he is able to get the 1st
Originally posted by crabman82:
i dont get the hate for delanie walker, he has made plays when he has been given the ball, ppl can complain about him not being "clutch", but we just spent 3 years paying our #1 tight end elite money and watching him drop passes jump offside get injured and get kicked off the field during a game, by his own coach no less. point being it took VD 3 years of starting to figure it out, i dont think walker is on the field enough to get the proper expierience

I don't think people hate him I just think people want to have a more wide open offense when we're passing the ball.

You don't run the spread out of 2 Tight End sets. Morgan, Crabtree, Davis, Walker is a very slow formation.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I don't think people hate him I just think people want to have a more wide open offense when we're passing the ball.

You don't run the spread out of 2 Tight End sets. Morgan, Crabtree, Davis, Walker is a very slow formation.

Having linebackers covering Davis and Walker in open space is kind of a mismatch...

Having linebackers covering Davis and Walker in open space is kind of a mismatch...

The problem is there's no speed on the field and teams will continue to leave their safeties to help cover Davis.

There's not a coach in football whose scared of Delanie Walker. The guy is what he is. A back up tight end. Wes Welker on a linebacker is a mismatch. Delanie Walker on a linebacker is good for 200 yards a season if we're lucky.

The problem is there's no speed on the field and teams will continue to leave their safeties to help cover Davis.

There's not a coach in football whose scared of Delanie Walker. The guy is what he is. A back up tight end. Wes Welker on a linebacker is a mismatch. Delanie Walker on a linebacker is good for 200 yards a season if we're lucky.

We can't lose sight of the fact that our QB's have had almost no time to pass and reach their 3rd or 4th read. Obviously D Walker isnt the 1st or 2nd read, thats most likely VD and the #1 WR(now Crabs). Walker has had multiple times where he's made something out of nothing, but he gets almost no opportunities on a consistent basis. Hopefully now with two blue chip studs, there is more time for the QB, by default everyone else will see career years.

On a side note, we can't compare Wes Welker to D Walker, Welker has been in a league of his own in terms of quickness since his days at Texas Tech. I went to CU and watched him single handedly win the game for TT over the buffs with just returns and 5 yard outs with YAC. Absolute stud.
Share 49ersWebzone