There are 317 users in the forums

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

We should stop the 2 TE set madness.

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Right now our talent at Tight End looks like this Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham, J.J. Finely, Tony Curtis. Not too impressive.

But assuming Crabtree and Morgan are starting then the competition for that 3rd spot looks like this J. Hill, Kyle Williams, Jared Perry, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Shay Hodge, Ted Ginn, Jr., Brandon Jones, and Scott Long.

Personally, I think Ginn wins the 3rd spot and spreads out opponents defenses and D. Walker can sit this season out.
Originally posted by Walsh:
Right now our talent at Tight End looks like this Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham, J.J. Finely, Tony Curtis. Not too impressive.

But assuming Crabtree and Morgan are starting then the competition for that 3rd spot looks like this J. Hill, Kyle Williams, Jared Perry, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Shay Hodge, Ted Ginn, Jr., Brandon Jones, and Scott Long.

Personally, I think Ginn wins the 3rd spot and spreads out opponents defenses and D. Walker can sit this season out.

wow really?

[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Apr 28, 2010 at 02:01:07 ]
I hate this 2 TE crap on this team. Delanie Walker has never done anything other than be a good athlete and tease you. I would much rather have Jason Hill out there as an extra WR. Walker runs sloppy routes and doesn't strike me as clutch when he is challenged for the ball. Jason Hill on the other hand as an extra WR runs good routes, has good speed and has really quality hands.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

wow really?

I'm talking about the competition for the 2nd spot. Davis is doing just fine obviously.
Without going into it to much. The 2 TE set is a great formation for our team. You can run and pass out of it and its a power formation. But you can quickly turn it into a heavy pass formation. You show the 2 TE set to the defense and they come out in their base package(43 or 34). Then you split VD and Dlove out wide and suddenly you have a 4 WR set with dlove and VD covered by LBs. You can even empty the backfield and swing Gore out wide to make it a 5 WR set. Thats what you call a miss match, advantage 49ers.

You can do a lot with the 2 TE set and I say it stays.

[ Edited by Dominate on Apr 28, 2010 at 02:08:51 ]
Respect Walker!!!!! he always brings his game when asked
  • mighty9ers
  • Info N/A
i totally disagree. Love Walker and we need to continue to use him. He is great in the 2 TE set. I would like to see him play more Hback and line up in the back field. not taking hand offs. but blocking and catching passes, which he can do quite well
Two TE is a good formation if both TE are threats in both the run and pass game. They got Byham for that reason. There WR's is good, but the really lousy formation is the 2 RB formation with Norris at FB, IMO. Norris is zero threat and having Norris in the game really is bad for 'balance' (it means we are running the ball, and the D knows it). With Byham we can run or pass, and also with Delanie.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

wow really?

I'm talking about the competition for the 2nd spot. Davis is doing just fine obviously.

Delanie Walker?
Originally posted by mighty9ers:
i totally disagree. Love Walker and we need to continue to use him. He is great in the 2 TE set. I would like to see him play more Hback and line up in the back field. not taking hand offs. but blocking and catching passes, which he can do quite well

Walker sucks. When has he ever done anything?

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:
Without going into it to much. The 2 TE set is a great formation for our team. You can run and pass out of it and its a power formation. But you can quickly turn it into a heavy pass formation. You show the 2 TE set to the defense and they come out in their base package(43 or 34). Then you split VD and Dlove out wide and suddenly you have a 4 WR set with dlove and VD covered by LBs. You can even empty the backfield and swing Gore out wide to make it a 5 WR set. Thats what you call a miss match, advantage 49ers.

I disagree. You create your offense around your play makers. You don't force your players into an offense that they just aren't good at executing. D Walker would not be a starting TE on most teams in the NFL. I don't even think he would be a starting RB on most teams which was his original position.

I disagree. You create your offense around your play makers. You don't force your players into an offense that they just aren't good at executing. D Walker would not be a starting TE on most teams in the NFL. I don't even think he would be a starting RB on most teams which was his original position.

Just so you know, In case you didnt. Dlove was a WR in college. Put him against LBs and safties and he will dominate. Thats what you call playing to your players strengths!

well since he was a wr in college i dont think he even wants to think about playing rb, please know what your talking about BEFORE you post
Leave it to the n00bs to start a stupid thread.

Let me see if I can sum this up nicely...

D. Walker > Ginn at this time. Ginn was brought in primarily for RETURN duty. He'll get looks at WR, but he WON'T take 3rd outright. And no way on God's green earth is he going to make such an impact that it changes Rayes playbook. No freakin way, no freakin how.

Seems to me that Walker did damn well in Twin with Duke on the field.you don't have a clue what you are spoutin.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mighty9ers:

Walker sucks. When has he ever done anything?

Oh he's only kept drives going. I guess if that's nothing then yes he's done nothing.

But what has Ginn done?

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 28, 2010 at 02:33:21 ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran

Just so you know, In case you didnt. Dlove was a WR in college. Put him against LBs and safties and he will dominate. Thats what you call playing to your players strengths!

Ok WR in college. No way has Walker been dominate. He's been a role player and it's time to use him less. If you talked about his Special Teams value I might believe you but dominating in games? Really??
Share 49ersWebzone