LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Interesting Position Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am really surprised that bly and harris are not signed. Both of those guys at the minimum would be great nickle and dime backs. If signed both of those guys can step in the starting lineup if injuries happen, again.

Those are exactly the position battles we have and the only one that is not there but probably does not need to be is where Robinson fits in as well as the new blocking TE in our offense.....however i think we keep both robinson and that new TE, and the 6th wr will be Williams.

I feel really bad for Jason Hill b/c i think he would be a really good #3 or even a #2 on another team....but that just shows that we have great depth.

Wallace, Norris should be gone and we should let go of Hill or Jones but will most likely keep them both.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i think norris will do better if he doesn't have to pick up multiple players like he did last year because our o-line sucked..i think with a good o-line we'll be able to run like did in 2006

I think you're absolutely right. I believe Norris will make the team and Caulcrick will have to earn a spot as his back-up by beating out Robinson. Miller will be on the PS.

8 man PS:
QB Jarrett Brown
WR Scott Long
WR Shay Hodge
FB Brit Miller
OL One of the two guys they signed today
CB Patrick Stoudamire
CB Phillip Adams
DL Khalif Mitchell

Could Cody Wallace end up on the practice squad?
Originally posted by fister30:
I am really surprised that bly and harris are not signed. Both of those guys at the minimum would be great nickle and dime backs. If signed both of those guys can step in the starting lineup if injuries happen, again.

I reckon we need one, whichever the coaches feel most confident in. You are right we need someone who knows the system and can step in at short notice.

I think in the next draft we definetely need to be looking at bringing in some young players at CB
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Left out Mays vs Lewis. Though if Lewis has one more concussion in TC or preseason Mays will win by default.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i think norris will do better if he doesn't have to pick up multiple players like he did last year because our o-line sucked..i think with a good o-line we'll be able to run like did in 2006

I think you're absolutely right. I believe Norris will make the team and Caulcrick will have to earn a spot as his back-up by beating out Robinson. Miller will be on the PS.

8 man PS:
QB Jarrett Brown
WR Scott Long
WR Shay Hodge
FB Brit Miller
OL One of the two guys they signed today
CB Patrick Stoudamire
CB Phillip Adams
DL Khalif Mitchell

Could Cody Wallace end up on the practice squad?

there is a good chance
I think Khaliff Mitchell DT over DE Demetric Evans
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think Khaliff Mitchell DT over DE Demetric Evans

Maybe. It'll be interesting to see how the line shakes out. People who aren't going anywhere include Smith, Franklin, Balmer, MacDonald, RJF (most likely), and Soap (most likely). I don't see the Niners carrying more than 7 lineman, so someone is going to be the odd man out. Khalif Mitchell projects more as a NT than an end, so unless he has bulked up to over 315 lbs in the offseason, RJF may be competing with the DEs rather than as the backup NT.

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 2, 2010 at 08:26:27 ]
I can hardly wait to see how all of these competitions go. It looks to me like a lot of players will be cut simply due to numbers. So Baalke will still be a factor in many of the positions because there will be a lot of cuts this year that can give us quality in different positions.

At CB we will see if Brown continues to develop. It looked like a new CB is coming it for a workout on Monday. Bly and Harris are waiting in the sidelines for a call from someone. But if we can go younger, bigger, faster, then we will be in good shape. But now we have Brown, Spencer, Clements, Adams, Paymah. So we are looking good and Baalke has the number of Bly and Harris for Training Camp should we need them.

I think backup NT will be a good position battle. I will be interested to see if Balmer is ready for his next step or if he is simply a bust. I hope Sopoaga continues to develop and I hope Franklin continues to develop as well and gets paid for his efforts. Then we will see if Mitchell can back up the NT, or RJF, or will they pick up a TC cut person who will fortify our position at NT.

It looks like Taylor Mays is already working on his pass protection skills. He certainly has the speed, likes to hit, and can play the run. The great issue is will he learn to tackle, and can he learn to take better angles? Then the issue will be Mays versus Lewis, versus Taylor.

Goldson seems to be pretty settled in at FS and hopefully R. Smith will settle in as well.

The oline issues have been discussed thoroughly and I hope that Boone is a major contestant in the Battles. His upside versus Snyder's utility will be the great question. I hope Boone has the qualities and can be our talented backup Tackle. Then it will be Baas versus Wallace versus Wragge for backup guard/center. Lots of interesting stuff going on.

Can't wait to see it all play out.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I can hardly wait to see how all of these competitions go. It looks to me like a lot of players will be cut simply due to numbers. So Baalke will still be a factor in many of the positions because there will be a lot of cuts this year that can give us quality in different positions.

At CB we will see if Brown continues to develop. It looked like a new CB is coming it for a workout on Monday. Bly and Harris are waiting in the sidelines for a call from someone. But if we can go younger, bigger, faster, then we will be in good shape. But now we have Brown, Spencer, Clements, Adams, Paymah. So we are looking good and Baalke has the number of Bly and Harris for Training Camp should we need them.

I think backup NT will be a good position battle. I will be interested to see if Balmer is ready for his next step or if he is simply a bust. I hope Sopoaga continues to develop and I hope Franklin continues to develop as well and gets paid for his efforts. Then we will see if Mitchell can back up the NT, or RJF, or will they pick up a TC cut person who will fortify our position at NT.

It looks like Taylor Mays is already working on his pass protection skills. He certainly has the speed, likes to hit, and can play the run. The great issue is will he learn to tackle, and can he learn to take better angles? Then the issue will be Mays versus Lewis, versus Taylor.

Goldson seems to be pretty settled in at FS and hopefully R. Smith will settle in as well.

The oline issues have been discussed thoroughly and I hope that Boone is a major contestant in the Battles. His upside versus Snyder's utility will be the great question. I hope Boone has the qualities and can be our talented backup Tackle. Then it will be Baas versus Wallace versus Wragge for backup guard/center. Lots of interesting stuff going on.

Good post...should be very fun to see it all pan out. What other key battles do you see as the 53 man roster is fortified?

53 Man Roster

Originally posted by NCommand:

Good post...should be very fun to see it all pan out. What other key battles do you see as the 53 man roster is fortified?

53 Man Roster

All of the Oline battles which have been described. I think the full back arena will be a big point, the battle between Dixon and Coffee will be interesting as well. The WRs will be a point of great interest as to who will be the #3 and #4 WRs. I think Ginn is already staking his claim to #3. Hill and B. Jones will be quite the competition. I think QB is a done deal but hopefully we will see Davis continue to develop and mature as a QB.

Another position battle, of sorts anyway, will be Raye and Johnson. We don't know for sure, but suspect, that Johnson is being groomed as Raye's eventual replacement as OC. The sad part is if Johnson does replace Raye and has success then we might lose Johnson the very next year. So that will be an interesting sidelight.
Originally posted by NCommand:

53 Man Roster

All of the Oline battles which have been described. I think the full back arena will be a big point, the battle between Dixon and Coffee will be interesting as well. The WRs will be a point of great interest as to who will be the #3 and #4 WRs. I think Ginn is already staking his claim to #3. Hill and B. Jones will be quite the competition. I think QB is a done deal but hopefully we will see Davis continue to develop and mature as a QB.

Another position battle, of sorts anyway, will be Raye and Johnson. We don't know for sure, but suspect, that Johnson is being groomed as Raye's eventual replacement as OC. The sad part is if Johnson does replace Raye and has success then we might lose Johnson the very next year. So that will be an interesting sidelight.

I wouldn't worry to much about Johnson leaving. If a team wants to make a 1 year OC into a HC that's a big gamble. At this point there are bigger and better guys with more impressive resume's out there. If anybody gets plucked I think it could be Manusky.
Share 49ersWebzone