There are 274 users in the forums

Interesting Position Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
BOONE!!!!
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Don't be surprised if Anthony Davis has a Ryan Clady type of rookie year, and starts at LT.

You can thank the freshman quarterback at Rutgers for landing us Anthony Davis. He has worse pocket presence than Betty White and made that whole line look bad last year.

Davis was a steal.

I don't expect Davis to move to LT anytime in the near future.

Davis looks like he could be better at run blocking that Staley, so when he has developed more I do potentially see Davis going to LT to pair up with Iupati at LG (though not for a while). Gore will be salivating at that thought.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Brit Miller was never as popular as Keasey

Keasey sucks.
what i mean is that when lawson is on the field. 99% of the time its at SAM. when brooks is on the field. 99% of the time its at WILL. i see no reason for that to change in 2010. parys will still be parysand it's hard to know what laboy will bring at this point.

Gotcha...but you're a little off. Brooks played the same SAM position as Manny all last year. If he can get the same amount of sacks as Manny in half the opportunities at the SAM (e.g. the non-blind side of the QB), why would they change that up? I suspect he'll be competing for a FT job at SAM over Manny and LeBoy will spell Haralson and may even compete for him as a starter as well.

i look forward to seeing whatever you have, but it's difficult to think it will override what i see when i review the games i have DVR'd and isolate on manny or parys for every snap of several games.

It's pretty much everything you want to know about Manny and the OLB positions in general so here goes:

Is Manny Lawson Onboard with the 49ers New Culture?

the last point i'd like to make is that i think parys is approaching his ceiling. i really like the guy, but i dont see him getting too much better going forward. manny on the other hand, i believe will continue to improve as he finally has been allowed to settle in to ONE position and play a true 34WILL and work on his pass rush (which was VERY RAW coming out of college.) i dont think he'll ever be a 10 sack guy, but i can see him being an 8 sack guy with more consistent and quicker pressure going forward. i think we are all hoping that brooks can be our 10+ sack guy.

It's hard for me to say whether or not Haralson has reached his ceiling after just one injury-plagued year. If Alex and Manny can get 100 chances, why not him? But this year is different b/c both Manny and Haralson have REAL competition behind them now and that's something neither ever had to contend with. So I think it will be an intriguing position battle to watch esp. with Manny asking for more money and not showing up to the OTA's while his agent is saying "Let's just say, no comment."

Thanks for the clarification.
Great posts & I agree. Gonna be a very interesting training camp.
Boone vs Snyder for the 2nd RT. I hope Boone can push Snyder off the team, he has had a good attitude but poor results and Boone can get better.
These few guys I think are in jeapordy of not making the team:

1) C Cody Wallace- I have always thought he was soft and now with Baas moving to Center he is probably hitting the road to Texas.

2) S Mark Roman- With the addititon of SS Taylor Mays Mark Roman is out of a job. Plus I really like FS Reggie Smith and S Curtis Taylor will probably make the P-Squad.

3) WR Jason Hill- I just dont see him making the roster, the coaching staff doesnt like him and if Brandon Jones can stay healthy, I cant see Hill being a #5 WR.

1 Crabs
2 Morgan
3 Jones
4 Ginn
5 Williams
6 Ziegler

4) ILB Scott McKillop- With the pickup of Navoro Bowman it looks like his best chance is on the Practice Squad.

5) DE Demetric Evans- He is the Mark Roman of the line, he is only average because of the guys around him, Ricky J and hopefully Mitchell push him out of here.

6) OT Adam Snyder- He just sucks at OT and I am hopeing that Boone beats him out as the backup RT. The only chance he has is if he moves back to LG to give depth to Iupati.

7) FB Morran Norris- He has certainly lost a step or 2 and his age is catching up with him. We have young FB's in Miller and Cauhrick (spelling) that will push him out.

[ Edited by Frisco69ers on May 1, 2010 at 06:09:09 ]
oh sorry mods can this be moved to Niner Talk?
Roman is not on the roster anymore.. He is a free agent.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Roman is not on the roster anymore.. He is a free agent.

thank god for that

Good post. With that being said, I think you have to throw Ginn in the slot receiver position battle. Although there have been good things said about him, he is in no way the automatic #3.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

1) C Cody Wallace- I have always thought he was soft and now with Baas moving to Center he is probably hitting the road to Texas.

Unless you can show me a quote from Singletary, Raye, or Solari, you're assuming a fact not in evidence. Wallace may be on his way out, but not because Baas is moving to center. Whoever wins the Wallace-Wragge competition stays on the team.

Quote:

3) WR Jason Hill- I just dont see him making the roster, the coaching staff doesnt like him and if Brandon Jones can stay healthy, I cant see Hill being a #5 WR.

1 Crabs
2 Morgan
3 Jones
4 Ginn
5 Williams
6 Ziegler

Barring a miracle, Ziegler's gone, and I suspect the Niners will carry only 5 WRs this season. Williams is a wild card as he's a low-round pick, but it seems like the Niners have a job for him at slot (and maybe KR too) if he can deliver, so it looks like the battle will be between Jones and Hill. The intangibles are Hill's inconsistency vs. Jones' big salary.

Quote:

4) ILB Scott McKillop- With the pickup of Navoro Bowman it looks like his best chance is on the Practice Squad.

While the coaches have made disappointed noises about McKillop, it could be more to motivate him than to signal any intention to demote him. Even with Bowman, the team is very thin at ILB, and I don't see McKillop going anywhere. If anything, I think he will be a bigger force on ST than last year.

Quote:

6) OT Adam Snyder- He just sucks at OT and I am hopeing that Boone beats him out as the backup RT. The only chance he has is if he moves back to LG to give depth to Iupati.

I'm hoping Boone shows he can perform at RT, since he brings a nastiness that Snyder lacks. After last year's OL debacle, I'm not sure who wins a Wallace-Wragge-Snyder contest.
Enjoyed your post Karma. Very well thought out.............
I'm starting to think that Vann will make the team. Ginn developing as a WR helps, and in past years we've kept Marcus Hudson around almost entirely for his special teams contributions.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Unless you can show me a quote from Singletary, Raye, or Solari, you're assuming a fact not in evidence. Wallace may be on his way out, but not because Baas is moving to center. Whoever wins the Wallace-Wragge competition stays on the team.

Quote:

1 Crabs
2 Morgan
3 Jones
4 Ginn
5 Williams
6 Ziegler

Barring a miracle, Ziegler's gone, and I suspect the Niners will carry only 5 WRs this season. Williams is a wild card as he's a low-round pick, but it seems like the Niners have a job for him at slot (and maybe KR too) if he can deliver, so it looks like the battle will be between Jones and Hill. The intangibles are Hill's inconsistency vs. Jones' big salary.

Quote:

While the coaches have made disappointed noises about McKillop, it could be more to motivate him than to signal any intention to demote him. Even with Bowman, the team is very thin at ILB, and I don't see McKillop going anywhere. If anything, I think he will be a bigger force on ST than last year.

Quote:

I'm hoping Boone shows he can perform at RT, since he brings a nastiness that Snyder lacks. After last year's OL debacle, I'm not sure who wins a Wallace-Wragge-Snyder contest.

These will be some interesting battles. In general I am pleased, as the talent on the roster is improving. Finally our cast offs will be providing backups on other teams as opposed to us making do with others practice squad players.
Share 49ersWebzone