LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Interesting Position Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With this recent infusion of talent, we are going to see something that has been extraordinarily rare in the past decade: quality players fighting for roster spots. Here is a quick list of the anticipated position battles this summer. These are the storylines to watch as the staff tries to decide on the best 53 players for the team. I've also included my guess on the 8 man practice squad.

RB:

Coffee vs. Dixon: Both of these players will most likely make the roster, but this will be a battle nonetheless. Coffee was underwhelming as the back-up to Gore last year and Singeltary has made it clear that he wants Frank to take more breaks this year. If Dixon can prove to be more effective then Coffee will have to fight for carries.

Robinson vs. Caulcrick: I am an unapologetic Michael Robinson fan. He is a phenomenal Special Teams players and he brings leadership and integrity to the locker room and to the field. We as fans often lose sight of the importance of players like Robinson. That being said, Robinson has proven to be incapable of carrying the ball effectively which limits his use. Caulcrick comes to the team with a reputation as an effective runner and an adequate blocker. He'll have his chance to fight Norris for the Fullback position, but he isn't the wrecking ball that this offense is looking for, so he probably won't beat him outright. Instead, the team may choose to keep him as a back-up, especially if Coffee and Dixon prove to be incapable of being the short yardage backs for the team.

FB:

Moran Norris vs. Brit Miller: When Norris was at his best, he opened holes for Gore like a bowling ball knocks down pins. However, Norris' blocking has declined in Detroit and again with his second tour of duty with the niners. This may be a symptom of poor OL play or it may just be a decline in ability. With an improved front five, Norris will have no excuses this year. Norris, who is still making the transition from college LB, was electric in preseason play last year and come into camp with Zak Keasey-like popularity from the fan base. Miller proved to be a good receiver out of the backfield, but he must show more as a lead blocker to unseat Norris.

Norris vs. Caulcrick: As mentioned above, Caulcrick's value is as a ballcarrier. With a good showing of lead-blocking abilities, he could send Norris home early as well.

* The niners will probably keep 5 backs on the 53. With Gore, Coffee, and most likely Dixon as good bets to be there, that means 2 more spots.

Wr:

Hill vs. Williams: This battle is for the slot position. Hill saw, to put it in diplomatic terms, limited action in the slot last year. This may have been more because of the teams preference for two TE sets, but it may have also been a slight to Hill's skills. I have a feeling the team will use the slot more this year, especially if the OL gives the team the opportunity to run some play action. The team was tended to telegraph their running plays last year, so there may be more emphasis on running out of three WR sets. Therefore, blocking my be the determining factor in this position battle. Williams also has value as a returner and the team would like to have insurance for Ted Ginn, however Sullivan is notoriously demanding of his WRs, so Hill's experience in the system weighs heavily in his favor. If Williams can't beat Hill out of his spot, he will fight Brandon Jones.

Jones vs. Williams: Brandon Jones saw the field about as much as Cody Wallace last year, so it is hard to find fault with his production but it does put the pressure on him this year. Jones' only field time last year was as a punt returner, a position he failed to secure and that is a skill Williams possesses. Jones' biggest problem is that he has a large contract. Many teams are using this year to dump salary for next year, so with the team facing contract extensions for Willis, Davis, Goldson, Franklin and others, Jones may be a casualty.

Darkhorse candidates:

Dominique Ziegler- He has been with the team for three years. He is an above average target in the passing game but an underachiever as a blocker.

Scott Long- Major upside, but his injury history and lack of experienced hurts his chances.

* The team usually keeps 5 WRs. Crabtree, Morgan and Ginn as sure things. The team probably won't cut Hill and Jones, just because of experience, so that essentailly leaves on spot up for grabs.

OL:

Snyder vs. Boone: Anthony Davis will start at RT. Singeltary will declare a "competition" at the atart of training camp, but Davis is a sure thing to man the right side for week one. That pushes Snyder to the bench and with Sims entrenched as the back-up OT, Snyder will have to battle Boone for the other OT bench spot. This is a classic battle of experience vs. upside. Boone has put the work in to earn a spot on the 53, but he has to prove that he has the foot speed to keep up with NFL defensive ends. Also, since Iupati will push Baas to the bench, Snyder will have to prove that he can be an effective OG to keep his spot.

Wragge vs. Wallace: At first glance, this might not seem like an interesting battle, but the Heitmann just became the oldest member of the starting OL, so having a replacement ready at center is crucial. Wallace's improvement has been slow, but the team has hung onto him this long, so they must see his upside during practice. Wragge is a solid backup at all three interior spots, but he's not the future. Wallace could be, but he'll have to prove that he can play the guard positions as well. As a side note, Baas was a college center, so the team might get him some reps here in case they want to dump Wragge and Wallace.

* The team normally keeps nine players at this position. The starting five will be Staley, Iupati, Heitmann, Rachal, and Davis. Baas and Sims are pretty safe as back-ups, leaving one interior spot and one OT spot.

DL:

Back-up NT: Jean-Francois vs. Sopoaga vs. Balmer: Franklin's contract situation and the importance of this position makes this an interesting battle to watch. With Franklin out for the first OTAs, the team used RJF here, but that is because Balmer is still recovering from a shoulder injury and Sopoaga was starting as LDE. Sopoaga was the seldom used back-up here last year, but he has struggled with the position in the past. Jean-Francois saw limited time on the field last year, but impressed the coaching staff with his progress throughout the season. The real X-factor will be Balmer. If he fully recovers in time, the team will want to test him here in case they can't keep Franklin after next season. Balmer has the size and lower body for the position, but the team doesn't mind having an undersized NT, so RJF has an opportunity to entrench himself (pun intended). All three players will more than likely make the team, but who gets time at this position will be interesting.

ILB:

Matt Wilhelm vs. Scott McKillop: Mike Singeltary has been particularly of McKillop this offseason, but that might just be motivation. When he was drafted last year, McKillop was expected to learn the TED from Spikes, but he was soon relagated to ST duty. Wilhelm was plucked off the streets because of his familiarity with Manusky's defense, but he doesn't project as more than a stopgap player. The team will most likely go with McKillop because Wilhelm will probably be available later in the season if there is an injury. This is, of course, all dependent on Bowman's ability to learn the 3-4 defense.

OLB:

Brooks vs. Lawson: The team has been reluctant to work out a long term with Lawson for two reasons. One is that the labor issue is hanging over everyone's heads. Two is the emergence of Ahmad Brooks. Brooks will have the opportunity to beat Lawson out as the starter, and if that happens it will most likely spell the end of Manny Lawson in San Fran. Lawson has come under fire for his inability to consistently rush the passer, Brooks' strength, but Lawson is very stout against the run and is an above average pass defender. Brooks will have to show an improvement in his all around game to beat him out. Either way, they will both see the field often.

CB:

Clements vs. Brown: Tarell Brown had a golden opportunity to win the starting job last year, but he fell short. That doesn't mean that Brown was horrible, but he was too inconsistent. If Brown used that experience to improve this year, Clements should be looking over his shoulder. Much has been made of Clements' contract this year, but he still comes in as the incumbent starter. If the frustrations he had last year made him work hard to redefine his game this season, the team will gladly pay him every cent. If not, the team will be quick to make the switch.

PR:

Ginn vs. Vann vs. Williams: Ginn is the entrenched KR, but he was much less effective as the PR in Miami. The team brought in two guys that returned punts in college. Williams will be fighting to make the team as a WR, and a good showing as a PR will cement his roster spot. If he fails, that might open the door for Vann. LeRoy Vann was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and I am dying to see him in a niner uniform, but he has plenty to prove. Vann is simply too small to play his college position (CB). Some have floated the idea of converting him to a WR/RB. He certainly could be effective in running a few reverses or screens, but that is more of a novelty than a starting role. Keeping Vann on the squad will surely leave a position player out, but if Ginn is too shaky as a PR, it might just be worth it.

So, I do tend to ramble on in my posts, but if you enjoyed reading this, I appreciate it. Feel free to comment on who you think will win each position battle, or let me know if you think I missed one. Thanks for reading.

Don't be surprised if Anthony Davis has a Ryan Clady type of rookie year, and starts at LT.

You can thank the freshman quarterback at Rutgers for landing us Anthony Davis. He has worse pocket presence than Betty White and made that whole line look bad last year.

Davis was a steal.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Don't be surprised if Anthony Davis has a Ryan Clady type of rookie year, and starts at LT.

You can thank the freshman quarterback at Rutgers for landing us Anthony Davis. He has worse pocket presence than Betty White and made that whole line look bad last year.

Davis was a steal.

The only problem with that is you would have two rookies starting next to each other on the left side. I do agree that he will eventually push Staley to the right side.
I think Brooks will be competing with Haralson, not Lawson. The year Haralson had 8 sacks, over half of them were coverage sacks or just not being blocked at all. And, last year Manny had more sacks than him. And, Manny can play the run much better. Haralson failed as our rush weak side backer last year and that's the role Brooks is looking to fill.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I think Brooks will be competing with Haralson, not Lawson. The year Haralson had 8 sacks, over half of them were coverage sacks or just not being blocked at all. And, last year Manny had more sacks than him. And, Manny can play the run much better. Haralson failed as our rush weak side backer last year and that's the role Brooks is looking to fill.

You might be right. I put Brooks against Lawson because Lawson's starting position seems most tenuous with the contract issue. I had high hopes for Haralson after his 8 sack season, but he hasn't made good yet.
Brit Miller was never as popular as Keasey

i think norris will do better if he doesn't have to pick up multiple players like he did last year because our o-line sucked..i think with a good o-line we'll be able to run like did in 2006
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i think norris will do better if he doesn't have to pick up multiple players like he did last year because our o-line sucked..i think with a good o-line we'll be able to run like did in 2006

I think you're absolutely right. I believe Norris will make the team and Caulcrick will have to earn a spot as his back-up by beating out Robinson. Miller will be on the PS.

8 man PS:
QB Jarrett Brown
WR Scott Long
WR Shay Hodge
FB Brit Miller
OL One of the two guys they signed today
CB Patrick Stoudamire
CB Phillip Adams
DL Khalif Mitchell
  • bret
  • Veteran
Karma, your analysis of the O-Line, D-Line and ILB are spot on!

However, in other areas, I have some comments and/or disagreements:

FB: I would like to see Britt Miller get a chance to win this job, but I don't think he really fits Sing's smash-mouth philosophy. But the problem with Norris is that he doesn't provide another dimension besides blocking. It's like having a "blocking" tight end.: if you REALLY need one, you can use a tackle, but the guys you have at that position need to be able to be weapons too IN MODERN FOOTBALL! And that, of course, is the concern of all of us who are hopeful, but not truly convinced by Singletary's vision.

WR: I think you really miss the boat here. If we think back to the Bears to get an idea about Singletary's vision, the one thing that really jumps out is Willie Gault: they were smash-mouth, and they liked to run, run, run, but they also had Willie Gault. The Niners need to stretch the field. And as I see it, Ted Ginn is that piece of the puzzle. Jason Hill is very fast (I believe he was the fastest receiver at his combine), but somehow he's never been able to show it on the field. And Brandon Jones is also supposed to have great speed; but it's straight-line speed, not speed in and out of breaks. It's Ted Ginn that gives the offense a different dimension, and I for one look forward to seeing it!

OLB: Yes, the battle between Lawson and Brooks should be very interesting! But I think Lawson is already on the way out. The battle will be between LaBoy and Brooks. And the x-factor we've all forgotten will be Diyral Briggs! The team went to great lengths to protect him - going so far as to activate him from he practice squad, even though they had no intention of using him just because another club was sniffing around! Singletary made a comment about Briggs having the "it" factor (not his exact words).

Finally, RB: Gore is a beast! But we're only one injury away from being a one-dimensional team. And the drafting of Dixon and their pursuit of Blount makes clear that the club is seeking some insurance in case Gore goes down. This is a good thing!

All-in-all, though, a nice post!

yeah, my overriding memory of Haralson was him missing the tackle on CJ when he had him covered.

I think it will be Manny and Haralson starting with Brooks coming on for 3rd downs (for whoever shows the least pass rush ability), eventually Brooks taking over Haralson's spot, being a former MLB he should be better against the run.

Davis was a steal.

I was bashed for suggesting Davis may play LT in a previous post.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Davis was a steal.

I was bashed for suggesting Davis may play LT in a previous post.

He will plat RT this year
Don't forget about Bowman. He will compete against McKillop and Wilhelm, IMO and start on ST. I honestly think that Singletary really loves this kid. I think he may surprise during the camps.

Originally posted by Karma:

You might be right. I put Brooks against Lawson because Lawson's starting position seems most tenuous with the contract issue. I had high hopes for Haralson after his 8 sack season, but he hasn't made good yet.

That's possible but Haralson suffered from un undisclosed hip flexor injury last year and I can't imagine how hard it must have been to pass rush with that injury up at the LOS. In another thread, it was shown that Lawson was only slightly more effective against the run over Haralson and Lawson is only a 1st and 2nd down LB now. Brooks took over Lawson's role as a pass rusher for the second half of the year when Lawson proved ineffective. But with LaBoy here, who also has played the SAM (and WILL), this move could be possible.

To me, this is the most intriguing battle b/c if LaBoy and Brooks shine, we could be looking at two different OLB's for our future with Haralson coming in off the bench (perhaps his best role) and Manny leaving for a 4-3 team in FA next year.

But as of today, it would be Brooks competing with Lawson and LaBoy competing with Haralson.
Good write up!

As for RB, I expect Dixon to contribute in some short yardage situations although Coffee will probably see more of the field in giving Gore a breather. By next year, I think Dixon has more of a chance to compete for the #2 spot...all depends on if Coffee can step up his game w/ the "10 lbs. of muscle" he supposedly gained this off-season.

Too bad QB won't have any interesting position battles. Carr wishes he was really competing w/ Smith, but the only way he starts is if Smith is injured. I fully expect Davis to be ready to push for a starting role by next season, especially if Smith bombs this season.

Edit: Almost forgot about FB Miller, he was exciting to watch last preseason when he scored what...2 TDs in a game, IIRC. I expect him to surprise us and coaches again and hopefully, he'll see more a role this year on the active roster for a change.

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Apr 28, 2010 at 08:50:47 ]
Share 49ersWebzone